• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill
Ryder
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott
McCullum
Franklin
NcCullum
Mills
Southee
McClenaghan

Would that be our full strength ODI XI?
Not too far off that. But I'd consider having someone like a Brownlie just to have a proper batsman in the middle order who could handle tough conditions.. Also, Franklin can *** of as far as I'm concerned, I've had enough of his half-hearted mentally soft attitude where he performs once every 20 games. Would also like to have another genuine wicket-taker lie Milne at the expense of a batsman. We need to learn from England that you need a bowling attack that can actually take wickets these days. With the advent of T20 cricket, sides can't get away with dibbly-dobbly bowling attack like we used to.

My full-strength side would be something like.....

Ryder
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Brownlie/Ronchi
McCullum
NcCullum
MIlls
Southee
Milne
McClenaghan

Note: Vettori ahead of NcCullum if he was available & Ronchi there or thereabouts as an option for Brownlies spot depending on the conditions. That bowling attack is far more attacking.

Zinzan

^ If NZ do want to just stack their team with allrounders like Turner's mid 90s side used to, they need to be getting 300+ scores consistently, because the current bowling attack will struggle to defend anything less.

James

Cricket Web Owner
What do you guys reckon to our pitches? Ahead of the next World Cup, would we be better served by producing some of our low and slow pitches from the past? I would question whether the type of pitches we're seeing this season just play into the hands of the quality fast bowlers from around the world touring NZ and slower pitches would suit our bowlers and batsmen more.

Regarding people's best teams, I'm surprised Nathan McCullum is picked. If Franklin is dropped, I would have thought Nathan McCullum wouldn't be too far behind him. Perhaps its more the question of, we need a spinner, and without Vettori, there's no one else to go to. Even Kane out bowled him in Napier.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else feel like they've just seen a preview of the first test?

Taylor down on confidence, Williamson playing a ball he doesn't need to and nicking off, McCullum the only batsman confident and in form, the rest of our batting just an afterthought.

Zinzan

What do you guys reckon to our pitches? Ahead of the next World Cup, would we be better served by producing some of our low and slow pitches from the past? I would question whether the type of pitches we're seeing this season just play into the hands of the quality fast bowlers from around the world touring NZ and slower pitches would suit our bowlers and batsmen more.
Even with slow wickets, I don't think dibbly dobbly bowlers can restrict as well these days unless they are are class slow bowlers with good variations like the Narine's, Ajmal's & Vettori's of this world. Batsman have become too good at innovating to be consistently restricted by Styris/Astle/Latham-type bowlers even if the wickets are slow.

Regarding people's best teams, I'm surprised Nathan McCullum is picked. If Franklin is dropped, I would have thought Nathan McCullum wouldn't be too far behind him. Perhaps its more the question of, we need a spinner, and without Vettori, there's no one else to go to. Even Kane out bowled him in Napier.
Eggactly, I'm not a massive fan of NcCullum but without Vettori, he's probably the best short-form slow bowler we have and he fields well.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

It would play into our hands against most sides (non-SC sides anyway) but I still dislike the true low and slow NZ pitch of the 90s. Doesn't make for great watching. We just need a better side really.

Agree would leave NcCullum out before Franklin.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin has averaged 37 odd with the bat in ODIs since 2008.

He definitely deserves to be in the ODI team. **** he's even bowling well lately.

Zinzan

Franklin has averaged 37 odd with the bat in ODIs since 2008.

He definitely deserves to be in the ODI team. **** he's even bowling well lately.
Haha, You're being very selective with that query given he had that rare good spell in India in 2010.

More relevantly, if you look at his last 2 years (20 games) he's averaged 25 with a SR of 79 and with the ball has taken 9 wickets @ 42 and an economy of 5.40. On top of that, he's a slug in the field and his body language sucks.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha, You're being very selective with that query given he had that rare good spell in India in 2010.

More relevantly, if you look at his last 2 years (20 games) he's averaged 25 with a SR of 79 and with the ball has taken 9 wickets @ 42 and an economy of 5.40. On top of that, he's a slug in the field and his body language sucks.
I tend to look at 2008 for pretty much all my queries.