• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Johnson unfairly maligned ?

Xuhaib

International Coach
In terms of value he's a better cricketer then Anderson, Zaheer and Morkel over their entire careers as he averages almost similar to them with the ball and contributes more with the bat. I know he has enjoyed a period where he would pick wickets with rubbish balls but then its not his fault that batsman get out to ordinary deliveries. Its better to be **** and lucky rather been **** and unlucky *cough*Ishant, Sami*cough*.

I think a lot of his hatred comes from the 2009 Ashes where he was labelled as Australia's major weapon and he failed to turn up and practically cost the Ashes.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I've got my popcorn ready.

Seriously tho, the reason people hate him is he hasn't had a serious string of tests where he turned up as oposed to Anderson (and to a lesser extent Zaheer). Morkel, I really don't think hes ever been rated other than just looking good. I also think mental weakness is not seen as a good excuse. Lee would be another intresting comparision.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Has matches where shows up and looks great, then follows it up with 10 tests where he bowls on a pitch 10 metres away from the test pitch, and slogs the 2nd ball he faces and gets clean bowled like a 1970's #11.

Also, see Lords 2009. Most embarrassing bowling effort since Chris Matthews in 1988 at the Gabba.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I still maintain he could be a genuine all-rounder.

Once Hussey retires, move Wade to 6 and have Johnson at 7.

I know many will disagree, but the **** can bat (better than he can bowl sometimes)...

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'd rather just pick a proper all-rounder (possibly that shane watson guy)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
i'd rather just pick a proper all-rounder (possibly that shane watson guy)
Having two could be handy, eh? Especially one who bowls 140k left armers with a knack of taking wickets in patches...

And if he bowls ****, there's still four other front liners, plus Watto.

All dependant on whether he could hold his spot as a number 7 batsman, and whether Wade can be consistent enough at 6. I think both have the ability.

Ruckus

International Captain
I still maintain he could be a genuine all-rounder.

Once Hussey retires, move Wade to 6 and have Johnson at 7.

I know many will disagree, but the **** can bat (better than he can bowl sometimes)...
Na I don't buy he can bat anymore than he can bowl. In both areas he has shown tremendous promise, but failed to deliver consistently. Reckon his batting is just as much affected by his confidence as his bowling.

If the guy manned up a little he would be a pretty awesome cricketer, but he just doesn't have it in him. He's had his time, and shouldn't be given another extended run if the selectors know what their doing.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
No-one had a problem with him when he bowled crap and took wickets. It's that recently he's bowled crap and not taken wickets, more often than not.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I remember his debut. The commentators said Dennis Lillee was high on him and that he hit the back of the net real hard.

There was real hype around him.

Debris

International 12th Man
Having two could be handy, eh? Especially one who bowls 140k left armers with a knack of taking wickets in patches...

And if he bowls ****, there's still four other front liners, plus Watto.

All dependant on whether he could hold his spot as a number 7 batsman, and whether Wade can be consistent enough at 6. I think both have the ability.
Actually, I think history shows that all-rounders are mostly useless. Their secondary skill almost never proves a factor in selecting them so you only pick them if they can hold a place in the side with their primary skill ie. Kallis is a batsman, Imran Khan is a bowler, Watson is a batsman, etc. The time-tested theory of picking 6 batsmen, wicket-keeper and 4 bowlers always holds true.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Actually, I think history shows that all-rounders are mostly useless. Their secondary skill almost never proves a factor in selecting them so you only pick them if they can hold a place in the side with their primary skill ie. Kallis is a batsman, Imran Khan is a bowler, Watson is a batsman, etc. The time-tested theory of picking 6 batsmen, wicket-keeper and 4 bowlers always holds true.

Sup.

flibbertyjibber

If Johnson hadn't been dropped on so many occasions he would probably be averaging 35 by now. His career average is on an upward curve yet Anderson, Morkel and until late Zaheer have been on a downward one or at least held around level. It begs the question have you been watching Johnson over the last 2-3 years Xuhaib?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson has incredible natural talent but is a mental lightweight

I'm happy with the fact that he is, at best, the 5th choice paceman atm

It's just a shame that we have so many injuries that he received a recall and I'd be really pissed off if he is selected for the Ashes series almost irrespective of form between now and then

Xuhaib

International Coach
If Johnson hadn't been dropped on so many occasions he would probably be averaging 35 by now. His career average is on an upward curve yet Anderson, Morkel and until late Zaheer have been on a downward one or at least held around level. It begs the question have you been watching Johnson over the last 2-3 years Xuhaib?
I have no problems with him getting dropped it was justified he was horrible during the time period and the axe was justified but its this constant bickering "Mitch is ****" that grates me he is NOT! just inconsistent. When all these guys(Anderson, Johnson,Zaheer, Morkel) finish their careers and someone makes an analysis one would find out that they all delivered in roughly similar number of matches maybe Anderson will move out of that territory but who knows.People tend to forget for a good 20-25 match period this guy was among the top 3 fast bowlers in the world with his batting an extra bonus.**** cricketers don't average low 30's with the ball in this era and its a fact.

benchmark00

No but xuhbbers, Johnson is consistent, consistently ****. Every now and again he will produce a good spell, but that's after 15 tests of bowling junk and giving the opposition a leg up. It's not that he's unpenetrative, it's that he actually kills his team by bowling trash.

You can't, just can't, tolerate that in the hope he'll one day get it together when there are many many better options.

flibbertyjibber

The fact that Johnson is a man that us English can ridicule in the same way that they used to take the piss out of Tufnell and Malcolm says it all really. The Aussies don't want him in the team as he has let them down far too much yet the English fans love it as he more often than not will bowl pies.