• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you were Sachin Tendulkar . . .

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If I was Tendulkar, I reckon I'd still carry on.

He strikes me as being like that guy in the office who still works there even though he passed the retirement age a few years back; he continues doing his job because it's all the life he knows and the thought of not waking up in the morning and having a job to go to terrifies him.

Tendulkar's been involved in First Class cricket since he was 15 - he's spent 24 out of the 39 years he's been on the planet involved in cricket at the highest level. All of his other fab 4 contemporaries made their FC debuts as teens (and Ganguly his international debut at 19) but they would have had fairly normal lives as late teens/early 20s young men. Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly all made their Test debuts at the age of 23, by which point Tendulkar had been on the scene for about 40 Test matches and god knows how many ODIs.

Besides, Tendulkar has a level of fame and adulation above and beyond that experienced by any of his team-mates. They're all superstars in their own right, but you get the feeling that Dravid, Laxman and even Ganguly can have some sort of a normal life now that they're retired. Tendulkar, by all accounts, has to take to wearing disguises just to go to the movies and takes his cars out for a spin in the middle of the night because it's the only time he'll get some peace and quiet in order to do so. Given how iconic Tendulkar is in India, I can't see that changing once he's given up playing cricket. The life of a cricketer is all Tendulkar has known for almost a quarter of a century, and giving up playing cricket won't just allow him to lead an ordinary life all of a sudden.

Ricky Ponting might look at his kids, think to himself "yeah, I've had a good run as a Test cricketer, I can't really be bothered any more, I've been struggling to hit the ****ing thing recently, maybe it's time to move on and spend a bit more time with my wife and kids instead of ****ing off on tour for 6 months of the year" and decide to chuck it, but I don't think Tendulkar has that as an option, and his status as a child prodigy IMO means that he perhaps lacks the perspective to consider his life without cricket.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I were him I'd give half of my wealth to this kid in Singapore who posts a lot on CW.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If I was Tendulkar, I reckon I'd still carry on.

He strikes me as being like that guy in the office who still works there even though he passed the retirement age a few years back; he continues doing his job because it's all the life he knows and the thought of not waking up in the morning and having a job to go to terrifies him.

Tendulkar's been involved in First Class cricket since he was 15 - he's spent 24 out of the 39 years he's been on the planet involved in cricket at the highest level. All of his other fab 4 contemporaries made their FC debuts as teens (and Ganguly his international debut at 19) but they would have had fairly normal lives as late teens/early 20s young men. Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly all made their Test debuts at the age of 23, by which point Tendulkar had been on the scene for about 40 Test matches and god knows how many ODIs.

Besides, Tendulkar has a level of fame and adulation above and beyond that experienced by any of his team-mates. They're all superstars in their own right, but you get the feeling that Dravid, Laxman and even Ganguly can have some sort of a normal life now that they're retired. Tendulkar, by all accounts, has to take to wearing disguises just to go to the movies and takes his cars out for a spin in the middle of the night because it's the only time he'll get some peace and quiet in order to do so. Given how iconic Tendulkar is in India, I can't see that changing once he's given up playing cricket. The life of a cricketer is all Tendulkar has known for almost a quarter of a century, and giving up playing cricket won't just allow him to lead an ordinary life all of a sudden.

Ricky Ponting might look at his kids, think to himself "yeah, I've had a good run as a Test cricketer, I can't really be bothered any more, I've been struggling to hit the ****ing thing recently, maybe it's time to move on and spend a bit more time with my wife and kids instead of ****ing off on tour for 6 months of the year" and decide to chuck it, but I don't think Tendulkar has that as an option, and his status as a child prodigy IMO means that he perhaps lacks the perspective to consider his life without cricket.
I can't pretend to know what goes through his mind but here's a guy who has a government police ****** - which he has had since high school. He had a police guard with him when he gave his high school exams. I'm sure it has to have SOME sort of an effect. I'm shocked he isn't a regular in the tabloids.

That being the case, it's all the more pressure on the selectors to do the right thing and have a word.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure I've read that he's massively into F1 so I'm sure there could be media or administrative roles for him.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He's a nominated MP right now, so that might take up some of his time ( at least when parliament is in session).

Also who knows, he may have ambitions to go into politics full time too.

Don't think like Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly he'll get into analysis right now. Cricket adminstration like Kumble could be another possibility.

abmk

State 12th Man
+1

not only cook, kallis too.

if he plays 6 more tests as a total passenger. he won't deserve to hold world records imho.

Laxman and Dravid retired after 4 poor tests in AUS. (8 innings)

He has had 6 tests (9 innings).
laxman was poor in England as well .... he was quite poor in overseas tests for a while ( minus that brilliant knock of 96 in SA in the 2nd test )

dravid had a brilliant series in England, but he was out of form before that for quite some time ...