• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who debuted together

Xuhaib

International Coach
From the 1983-84 5th Test vs Pak match report

After close of play on the second day, Chappell announced in a television interview with his brother Ian, that he would retire from Test cricket at the end of the match. Later that evening Lillee also decided that this would be his last Test match, confirming his decision next morning, while later in the match Marsh said he would not be available for Australia's forthcoming tour of the West Indies.
have always wondered why Lillie and Chappel choose the Pakistan series to close out their careers why not a high profile series vs Windies or Ashes.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Atherton and Devon Malcolm and amazingly and stupidly 4 debuts in the middle of an Ashes series (3rd Test 1993 Ashes) Thorpe, Ilott, Lathwell, and McCague

aussie tragic

International Captain
have always wondered why Lillie and Chappel choose the Pakistan series to close out their careers why not a high profile series vs Windies or Ashes.
From what I remember, Chappell was in ill health even though he was only 34 (that was considered old for a player in the early 80's) and he had been through a horrible run with the bat so when he started scoring runs again was a great way to go out on top. I also think that as Chappell, Lillee and Marsh were such great friends they didn't want to play on without each other (and as the latter 2 were such anti-Kim Hughes as captain, it wasn't surprising they didn't want to play under him)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Vernon Philander and Imran Tahir

Cheteshwar Pujara and Peter George

Ben Hilfenhaus, Phil Hughes and Marcus North

Alastair Cook, Monty Panesar and Ian Blackwell

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Michael Vaughan and Chris Adams debuted together, and met each other at the crease with the score on 2-4 (two runs, four wickets).
Gavin Hamilton debuted in that test too. As the caps are awarded alphabetically I imagine he splits the two you mention.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Anderson & Anthony McGrath both made their bows in the first test of the 2003 home series versus the Zimbas too. Contrasting fortunes there, it's fair to say, although statistically the latter looks like an ATG test allrounder.

stumpski

International Captain
well that's not fair, how may many all time greats were never dropped....Bradman, Ponting and S. Waugh are 3 that come to mind,,,,and there's another question...which ATG's were never dropped.....Greg Chappell, Border, Tendulker?
Strictly speaking Bradman was dropped (well, left out of the XI) after his first Test, and Steve Waugh in 1990-91 - replaced by his brother!

Contrasting careers: Colin Cowdrey made his debut at Brisbane in 1954 and went on to become the first man to appear in 100 Tests, team-mate Keith Andrew, playing only because Godfrey Evans was ill, just one more, in 1963.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Strictly speaking Bradman was dropped (well, left out of the XI) after his first Test, and Steve Waugh in 1990-91 - replaced by his brother!

Contrasting careers: Colin Cowdrey made his debut at Brisbane in 1954 and went on to become the first man to appear in 100 Tests, team-mate Keith Andrew, playing only because Godfrey Evans was ill, just one more, in 1963.
Looks like a typo from aussie tragic, I think he was noting that all of Bradman, Waugh and Ponting WERE dropped at some point.

I reckon you'd find a lot of great players who were never dropped though. Most of the very greatest that I can think of were never dropped.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A few from England tests ...

Dennis Compton and Cyril Washbrook shared a debut against New Zealand at the Oval in 1937

Dexter, Illingworth and Subba Row against New Zealand at Manchester in 1958

And both Hollioakes debuting against Aus at Nottingham in 1997 may be the only example of brothers making their test debuts in the same match.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Mark Taylor & Trevor Hohns?

Wayne Phillips & Paul Reiffel?

Seem to recall Michael Bevan and Damien Fleming debuting together too, maybe they were a test apart, i cant remember.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
NZ's bomb-blast tour of Sri Lanka in 1992 had a lot of debutants. By my count 5 made their debut in the first test. Sadly, apart from Dion Nash, they were all fairly crap.

Hartland, Harris, Vaughan, Owens

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tate and sutcliffe debuted in the same game. plus a couple of others who did jack (although i think one of them did captain england)