• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Patel looks worse than Martin atm

Anyways that gave me a good belly laugh.
Whatever one thinks about Martin's batting (and it's pretty much all been said) he is a gutsy bastard. Gets in line and takes his lumps.

Patel had balls like peanuts, obviously.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Who thinks Guptill can do something in possibly his last innings as a Test opener?
By "do something" you mean "get out" then yes.

Seriously though, if he doesn't feel it's last chance saloon for him in the 2nd, he needs a good talking to.

Come on Boulty, stick around for Watlings 50!

Spark

Global Moderator
So what are people's thoughts re Doull's pre-match comments that Patel shouldn't ever play for the Blackcaps again after his running away from the bowling in the first test? Fair or over the top?
Gonna have another chance to air those comments now.

Flametree

International 12th Man
If they's picked Chris Martin he would have had reasonable cause to ask to bat at 10 in the second dig...

So will they enforce the follow on?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone else reckon Watling should open in the 2nd innings? He's got his eye in now, and is playing well.
To be honest, with the XI we have, I'd open with Watling and Flynn. Remembering of course that the fundamental point of opening is to take the shine off the ball and Flynn and Watling both look more likely to bat time than either Guppy or McCullum.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's not like Patel is exactly Jim Laker anyway, is it?

Does he average over 50 per wicket yet?

All part of McCullum's dastardly plan to get his big bro a test cap, IMHO.

Mike5181

International Captain
By "do something" you mean "get out" then yes.

Seriously though, if he doesn't feel it's last chance saloon for him in the 2nd, he needs a good talking to.

Come on Boulty, stick around for Watlings 50!
I'd send Watling out as an opener. Why bother sending Guptill out there? BJ has been out there for a while, and would be a better chance of scoring runs than anyone else atm.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Shots like that are all there's going to be to get you through the day as an NZ cricket fan in future. Small victories. Very, very, very, very small victories.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Anyone else reckon Watling should open in the 2nd innings? He's got his eye in now, and is playing well.
A bit like when Wright told VVS Laxman to keep his pads on when he was last out & India followed on against Australia in 2001 :) I think that would make sense and probably suit Guptill too.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha that was so embarrassing from Patel again. Why the hell isn't he no 11? You can't have a number 9 in test cricket who runs away like that, surely.