• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Munro and the Cachopa boys are much more kiwi than saffer. I think the Cachopa's in particular spent most of their lives here. No idea about Munro.

With the amount of South Africans flooding into Auckland though their team will probably have a very afrikaans look to it when the second gen kids grow up.
The two younger Cachopa boys certainly look very Afrikaans, so that is good enough for me :happy:. Munro also has bit of accent, and was also born there. So i wouldn't exactly say they are much more kiwi than they are South African.

But you are right about the next generation coming through, especially in Auckland/North Shore. However I see them being more English than Afrikaans. I know two of Auckland's better young batsmen are from South Africa in Bradley Schmulian and Rob O' Donnell.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
. If Ryder tries to treat internationals like domestics he'll just get Southee'd by another countries bowlers instead of Southee. If he played that back away dab in the 45 all out innings instead of a few weeks ago against ND he'd be dropped on the spot and win the CW dismissals thread by a distance. Easily a worse shot than Haddin or Bell and in an unbelievably dire situation at a dire time. Hopefully he'll take test cricket seriously like he did before his shenanigans and withdrawal from international cricket.

Kippax will probably post it up again now I've brought it up.
Ryder vs. Southee/Arnel - YouTube

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket: Buchanan Breaks Silence Over Black Caps | Stuff.co.nz

Cricket: In-form Jesse Ryder 'right' to stay on... | Stuff.co.nz

"I wouldn't say that Jesse is ready for venturing into the international arena just yet - that would be my view from a distance watching two innings in one game," the former Australian coach said.

"That's not necessarily always the best impression, but having talked pretty closely to those around him, I'm not sure he's ready as yet. That's irrespective of the numbers he's punching out in domestic cricket."
Meanwhile, sacked Black Caps captain Ross Taylor looks set for a return to domestic cricket within the next week.

Taylor's Central Districts team play Twenty20 games in New Plymouth against Auckland on Wednesday and Otago next Sunday.

Central coach Alan Hunt had yet to hear from Taylor which game he would be back for, although it is understood his return is imminent.

Hunt said he was confident Taylor would be pulling on the whites again when Central Districts restart their Plunket Shield campaign against Canterbury at McLean Park in Napier on January 24.

Buchanan, who last spoke to Taylor before Christmas, said Taylor should return to cricket only when he felt ready.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Kind of sick of people talking about Ryder needing to fix his personal issues, last time i heard (months ago) he hadn't had a drink in months and had lost a lot of weight. I don't really mind him playing the way he is, because it allows him to enjoy his cricket (which he was struggling to do for a while) and hopefully will lead on to him playing properly instead of not at all

thierry henry

International Coach
Kind of sick of people talking about Ryder needing to fix his personal issues, last time i heard (months ago) he hadn't had a drink in months and had lost a lot of weight.
I have no idea if he hasn't had a drink (but knowing what I do about the bloke it seems unlikely he hasn't) but he certainly hasn't lost a lot of (or any) weight.

Ryder is still Ryder. Honestly I just think he's a bit of a dick, but one we should have in our cricket team.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I have no idea if he hasn't had a drink (but knowing what I do about the bloke it seems unlikely he hasn't) but he certainly hasn't lost a lot of (or any) weight.

Ryder is still Ryder. Honestly I just think he's a bit of a dick, but one we should have in our cricket team.
He must of put weight back on then :laugh:
Around the time of his boxing match he was still a little bit on the chubby side, but he was noticeably slimmer

Briony

International Debutant
How do you guys think Philander will perform in the SC? He didn't do too well on the flat pitches of Australia (averaged 50 and didn't play all 3 tests - was he injured?).
Will be a test for him. He missed Adelaide, bowled well in Perth and without luck, bowled without luck at times in Brisbane but was also dogged by no balls and didn't bowl his normal immaculate length. He'll certainly find it harder than in SA and in particular CT. According to one of the journos interviewed last night along with Doull, Philander at Newlands when there's a bit of moisture in the pitch is almost unplayable.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I don't care about Ryder's personal issues. I care about him trying to play dumb dab shots to one of the few bowlers in our domestic circuit representative of international quality bowling. He can take the piss out of crappy domestic bowling all he likes but he needs to be able to recognize quality when it turns up and respond differently.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
I don't care about Ryder's personal issues. I care about him trying to play dumb dab shots to one of the few bowlers in our domestic circuit representative of international quality bowling. He can take the piss out of crappy domestic bowling all he likes but he needs to be able to recognize quality when it turns up and respond differently.
That's how he batted against Australia last summer. While the likes of Brownlie would fight, he would come in and invariably play an injudicious shot because he seems more intent on keeping the scoreboard ticking than respecting the bowler and taking each ball on its merit.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I don't mind him playing with Intent(TM McHesson co) and all that. It's just that there's a massive difference between aggressive cricket and stupid cricket. Ryder frequently crosses the line into the latter and doesn't seem to have remedied that at all in domestics.

Mike5181

International Captain

He's been given so many chances, and he still hasn't lost any weight nor changed his pathetic approach to batting in the Plunket Shield. It's good to see he's been on the park more regularly, but outside of that I struggle to see how he's changed at all.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mccullum 3 - don't mind his decision to bat first, .
Knowing what we know now it was a mistake in hindsight. Bond said they wished they had've bowled first.

I think it was a forgiveable mistake however as Smith said it was a good toss to lose and it wasn't a definite bowl first wicket.

But proof of the fact that it was a mistake in hindsight at least was that
a) we got out for 45
b) We only got to bowl 2 overs on that seaming wicket before lunch and in that time we got Smith out lbw and nearly got out Amla. After lunch we did not bowl optimally and should have got more wickets but I also suspect that the pitch flattened out somewhat in the 40 minute lunch interval. Most 1st day pitches do flatten out after the 1st session.

Was it a mistake without the benefit of hindsight? I think yes given we were missing Ross Taylor. I think we also knew that Steyn and Philander were beasts on seaming wickets. So yes I think it was a mistake without the benefit of hindsight. I can see why the mistake happened and it was somewhat forgiveable but given the consequences (all out for 45) I think McCullum deserves a 1 out of 10 despite making 50.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Upon reflection I think Ryder will bat properly in tests. He batted like a tart in Australia but before that he was a serious batsman, even if he loves playing India.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Upon reflection I think Ryder will bat properly in tests. He batted like a tart in Australia but before that he was a serious batsman, even if he loves playing India.
I guess if he is taking the piss with his batting right now. It is hard to just suddenly start batting properly against good test bowlers.

If his coach has a word with him maybe he can get a disciplined 40 off 80 balls in his next dig. And that can silence his critics.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hesson was reported to say on the radio that they were going to practice against hostile bowling in he nets.

I have mixed feelings about it. Hope no one ends up with a broken finger out of it.

Mike5181

International Captain
Knowing what we know now it was a mistake in hindsight. Bond said they wished they had've bowled first.

I think it was a forgiveable mistake however as Smith said it was a good toss to lose and it wasn't a definite bowl first wicket.

But proof of the fact that it was a mistake in hindsight at least was that
a) we got out for 45
b) We only got to bowl 2 overs on that seaming wicket before lunch and in that time we got Smith out lbw and nearly got out Amla. After lunch we did not bowl optimally and should have got more wickets but I also suspect that the pitch flattened out somewhat in the 40 minute lunch interval. Most 1st day pitches do flatten out after the 1st session.

Was it a mistake without the benefit of hindsight? I think yes given we were missing Ross Taylor. I think we also knew that Steyn and Philander were beasts on seaming wickets. So yes I think it was a mistake without the benefit of hindsight. I can see why the mistake happened and it was somewhat forgiveable but given the consequences (all out for 45) I think McCullum deserves a 1 out of 10 despite making 50.
We were bowled out for 45 because our batsmen didn't turn up, and they bowled well. Not just because we won the toss. Had we batted like that in our second innings, the result would have been the same. South Africa easily scored 250 runs at an ODI run rate on the same day after starting little over 19 overs later, and half their batsmen were taking the piss. Patience, fight etc were the more important things missing from the first innings.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
We were bowled out for 45 because our batsman didn't turn up, and they bowled well. Not just because we won the toss. Had we batted like that in our second innings, the result would have been the same. South Africa easily scored 250 runs at an ODI run rate on the same day after starting little over 19 overs later, and half their batsman were taking the piss. Patience, fight etc were the more important things missing from the firsts innings.
Nailed it.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The reason it was such a bad call is because it makes far more sense to give our bowlers the chance to do their thing on a clean slate rather than after our batsmen have mutilated any chance of victory and the opposition batsmen are under as much pressure as in a game of beach cricket. We know for sure our batsmen aren't going to win a game for us, but they sure can ruin it.

BeeGee

International Captain
We were bowled out for 45 because our batsmen didn't turn up, and they bowled well. Not just because we won the toss. Had we batted like that in our second innings, the result would have been the same. South Africa easily scored 250 runs at an ODI run rate on the same day after starting little over 19 overs later, and half their batsman were taking the piss. Patience, fight etc were the more important things missing from the firsts innings.
Out of all the factors involved, decision to bat first, poor batting, etc. The most decisive was an absolutely devastating spell of bowling from Philander. He would have had any batting lineup in the world on the ropes with that spell.

No excuses for NZ. It was a pathetic display, but that was some spell of bowling.