• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Flem274*

123/5
Watling is ten times the batsman now than the one who opened for us way back when.

Granted, Watling mk I was setting a Franklin-esque bar, but I've been very impressed with his composure and his technique today.

Meridio

International Regular
If ever there was a time for Franklin to prove himself as a batsman, it's now. Surely this is his last chance.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damn that wicket. I was really looking forward spending the lunch break speculating about NZ getting a 200 run lead and rolling them for 150. :p

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Watling is ten times the batsman now than the one who opened for us way back when.

Granted, Watling mk I was setting a Franklin-esque bar, but I've been very impressed with his composure and his technique today.
Yeah his composure is good considering that on any other day he would have been out a bazillion times to either Peterson or Kallis.

Seriously playing back constantly to the spinner has to catch up to him at some point...

Howsie

International Captain
I don't think Flynn should open. He's deceptive in that he is very conservative and has an excellent defensive technique but he never looks likely against the new ball. Most of his good innings have been down at 5 or 6.
If Ryder comes back (and I still think it's a big if) he might well have to if he wants to stay in the team. I'm with you in that he should be batting down the order at six but with Guptill being completely useless I reckon he's the best option going around at the moment to open with McCullum.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah his composure is good considering that on any other day he would have been out a bazillion times to either Peterson or Kallis.

Seriously playing back constantly to the spinner has to catch up to him at some point...
Yeah, it's a bit of worry. Both Brownlie and Watling do it.

Stapel

International Regular
I have a question for South Africans here:

As we hear quite some words through the stump mic, I noticed a lot of the talk is in Afrikaans. I think I picked up "Laat hom nie van die voorvoet speel nie" (don't let him play of the front foot). Not really sure as I don't really speak Afrikaans. Anyway, I was a surprised a bit. Afrikaans cannot be the lingua franca within this team, right? It's hard to believe they all understand it properly!

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Afrikaans is actually pretty well known in South Africa, even when it's not the mother tongue or English. In fact, iirc, more people understand Afrikaans than English.

Stapel

International Regular
Afrikaans is actually pretty well known in South Africa, even when it's not the mother tongue or English. In fact, iirc, more people understand Afrikaans than English.
I've been to SA and my conclusion was that English is everyone's 2nd language. In shops, bars, restaurant, gas stations, supermarkets, museums, sports stadiums, just everywhere. According to wiki 13 % of the Saffers speak Afrikaans as a first language, and 10% English as a first language.

I'm just curious!

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Will this be the last session of the match?

It looks more to me NZ will get a lead of about 20 to 30 before tea time.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Is Philly injured? Or are South Africa insulting us again by trying to finish the game without risking him. Fair enough if so, snowflake hell etc.

edit: good call albert

Last edited: