Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What does Cook have to do?

U19 Vice-Captain Biryani Pillow's Avatar
    For me he's in the conversation fr a place in an AT England XI.

Not in the team but in the conversation.

Certainly the best left handed opener.

He's had his dips in form but that applies to nearly all batsmen (Hammond, for example, had a couple of very quiet series).

Cricket Champion!
    Just score more and have a sufficiently long career. Definitely will have to average 50+. Notably, he averages 57 away from home and 45 at home - which is not a criticism per se but a peculiarity.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    For me he's in the conversation fr a place in an AT England XI.

Not in the team but in the conversation.

Certainly the best left handed opener.

He's had his dips in form but that applies to nearly all batsmen (Hammond, for example, had a couple of very quiet series).
    Interesting point that in an England all-time xi, there isn't really a left-hander in the side.

Oh, and as said by WPDavid he already pisses over Gooch.
    Last edited by grecian; 06-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Just score more and have a sufficiently long career. Definitely will have to average 50+. Notably, he averages 57 away from home and 45 at home - which is not a criticism per se but a peculiarity.
    Amla and AbdV have similar records too iirc...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post

Oh, and has said by WPDavid he already pisses over Gooch.
    Has for years.

It's an incredibly tough ask. I'd say if he averaged less than 50, he wouldn't be in with much of a shot, no matter how many he scores. If he can maintain his form of the last two years, and push that average to the mid 50's, well, with the likelihood of more than 10,000 runs, he'd have to be in with a shout.

Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe are in the top four openers of all-time for me, with Gavaskar - so really has to kick on from now, be the best batsman in the world by a decent margin for years at an end (Tendulkar 93-02, Ponting 03-07 etc.) and end up in the league of batsmanship of Tendulkar - Sobers - Hammond and the like and then he'll be in consideration.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Long story short, he has to be a better batsman, and he can't just do that by scoring more runs. People remember the level of skillfulness, or batsmanship or whatever you want to call it (it's more than aesthetics) that someone seems to be playing with rather than anything else and they've valid reason to. When Ponting or Lara were at their best they seemed impossible to get out and playing against them seemed almost unfair. It's a level of quality Cook will never have no matter how prolific he becomes.
    This is true but there is a real sense of emphatic calmness about the way Cook is batting in this series. That sense that he knows exactly what he is going to with every single delivery that he gets. As you say though it is not like Lara (or Clarke recently), where it appears they can just do whatever they want.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    No matter what he does he can never surpass Hobbs, period. As far as Hutton is concered his greatness lies not only in what he did but who he did it againts and what he had to over come to do it. Hutton scored hundreds againts O'Reilly, Lindwall and Miller and Ramadin and Valentine. Hutton also had to contend with his war injury that restricted him after the war. Sutcliffe, he may have a chance there if not he contines to score but who he scores agints. Because of a genaral lack of top tier quality bolwers of the era, he will have to do it againts S.A. to be seen in the top tier.

Remember to be a contender for the England AT team at opener who have one foot in the door for the World AT XI and Cook is no where close to that as yet.
    Aus.
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Smith^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I.
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A.
    Richards | Smith*^ | Kallis5^ | Pollock | deViliers^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng.
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    yup this could be break or break for him. Even in his golden run of form for last two years his record against the only two sides that had good bowling attacks has been mediocre.
    Assuming those blokes are fit, which is a big call, guys like pattinson and Cummins have never bowled in England. I don't know that they're the test for Cool that they might be in 2-3 years when they've played more test cricket.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

For all his runs he still averages just over 50 (after this knock). So much water to go under the bridge just yet.

He's given himself every opportunity to be an all-time great. But longevity is a lot harder than people realise (think of what people were saying about Hussey a few years back).

International Debutant
    Maybe we should create a separate category of batsmen falling in the dour, stonewalling class and then see where he falls within that.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Interesting point that in an England all-time xi, there isn't really a left-hander in the side.

Oh, and as said by WPDavid he already pisses over Gooch.
    I'd have Maurice Leyland in the conversation, and maybe Gower as well.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    You could make the argument that Prior is closer to All Time England honours than Cook
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    You could make the argument that Prior is closer to All Time England honours than Cook
    I wouldn't.

Knott, and a few others, would come before him for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information