• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc vs Boult - who will have the better career?

Who will have greater success on the international stage?

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Starc was ****ing scary today in that spell. Not just a "oh I can see why he's rated so highly" spell, but a "this is deadset vicious" spell.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It certainly explains it. Not many worse commentating cliches than using a phrase which in the context is an absolute vacuum of meaning of any sort whatsoever to fill a dead air gap. Street smarts and 'showing character' being the absolute worst of these phrases.
Hahahahaha awta

Part of the NZ vernacular though:
street smarts - highly desirable animal cunning

as opposed to:
book smarts - contemptible head in the clouds stuff an if u gt all teknikal wiv me im gunna smash u bro

TumTum

Banned
Starc was ****ing scary today in that spell. Not just a "oh I can see why he's rated so highly" spell, but a "this is deadset vicious" spell.
Well it was against lower order batsmen, once Siddle done all the hard work.

uvelocity

International Coach
It's great that Boult has the accuracy and temperament of a bowler 5 years his senior, but it does make you wonder about how much more he's likely to improve. Starc on the other hand has all the tools to one day be a world-beater, and he looks like he's well on his way to getting there.

Still, we would've said the same thing about the other Mitch after the 09 tour of SA, and look how that turned out.
I wasn't on here then, so I can't prove it but no. He never knew how to bowl. Starc has a lovely action, high arm, seam upright and bowls a good length a lot. Genuine talent early doors. Don't see him as a major injury risk either - he doesn't hit the crease particularly hard, or put his body in any crazy positions.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was listening to an interview the other day with Micky and he said that research has shown that Starc is the most durable young fast bowler in the world.

Now if that doesn't jinx him nothing will.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starc is a good bowler but I still think Boult will get more matches as Australia have so many good bowlers to pick from at present. He will get harshly dropped when he shouldn't or find it difficult to get back in if he gets injured etc...

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Would disagree with that. If there's one area NZ definitely aren't at all struggling with at the moment, it's fast bowlers.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would disagree with that. If there's one area NZ definitely aren't at all struggling with at the moment, it's fast bowlers.
:huh:

Besides Southee and Boult, who is there exactly? Bracewell has been average for some time now. Wagner is rubbish, Martin is past it, Gillespie can't stay on the park for more than 2 months at a time. Milne, Small, Duffy, Wheeler, Henry and Mathieson undoubtedly have potential, but currently that's all it is: potential. Henry aside, (and even then, only for a few matches last season) none of them have been really tearing up domestic batting lineups with any consistency. And most of them are frequently injured anyway.

I'm not saying that they'll all be rubbish, but I seriously doubt that if Boult continues to average in the 28-32 range he'll ever have serious difficulty in keeping his place in the side.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Neither would Starc though, so I don't really get this "He's going to have a much harder time because australia's fast bowling stocks are better" argument.

Howsie

International Captain
It's great that Boult has the accuracy and temperament of a bowler 5 years his senior, but it does make you wonder about how much more he's likely to improve. Starc on the other hand has all the tools to one day be a world-beater, and he looks like he's well on his way to getting there.
Why exactly would he need to improve? Genuine question too. He's played half his matches in the SC, has 26 wickets @ 29 so far and has been laughably unlucky for the most part.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why exactly would he need to improve? Genuine question too. He's played half his matches in the SC, has 26 wickets @ 29 so far and has been laughably unlucky for the most part.
After seeing Starc's spell yesterday, I think he has the all the tools to be a real great for Australia over the next decade. The sky is the limit for him.

Boult doesn't need to improve at all in order to have a long and successful test career. If he keeps bowling like he has in the past 6 months (and isn't stricken with injury), I reckon it's likely that he'll take 300+ wickets at under 30. But I do think he'll need to improve (and significantly) if he's to keep pace with Starc over the next few years