• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Whenever a new Cricketer debuts I'm always wondering how their career will progress. Now incredibly here is a thread where we can all make such predictions. :-O

So I'm interested in knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the player and how successful they are likely to become before they've started say their 3rd Test match. Perhaps we can revise our selections once they've played a good number like 10-15.

So today or more realistically tomorrow its Rory Kleinveldt and Rob Quiney.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Quiney, could play 1 test. Might play 40.

Will be a decent contributor if given the chance. Could be the link man between Ponting and Hussey and whoever the next generation are going to be.

watson

Banned
It's had to say because I've only seen Quniney on a couple of Rob's uploaded videos.

However, of the little bit that I saw, he appears to play straight between the arc of mid-on to mid-off, and his timing is excellent.

Not much foot-movement so the whole package bought Gary Kirsten straight to mind. But that's just by memory.

All in all, and as a very rough guess, he has the technique (I think) to average 40 in Test cricket. But will he have the temperment to succeed under pressure?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Quiney's best bet is to relentlessly stonewall, to prove he's doing everything in his power to forestall collapses.

Who presented him his baggy green, btw?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of in-duck on his little mediums, tbf.

How old is he, btw? Looks as if he had a **** of a paper round.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bit of in-duck on his little mediums, tbf.

How old is he, btw? Looks as if he had a **** of a paper round.
Yeah he's 30. Honestly reckon he probably should've played one day cricket for Australia about five years ago but he's only recently started to really put it together in Shield cricket. Bit of a late bloomer.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Quiney's rugged stubble and hairy chest suggest to me that he has all the makings of an Australian test cricketer. Not sure why Clarke rates him so much as a bowler, but I expect given the chance to prove himself he will probably do better than North.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^^Wonder what technical adjustments he's made to become the sort of generally impregnable stroke maker he is today. I've heard ppl talk about modifications to the arc of his batswing, which used to come in from slips once...it's almost like Ponting's rich vein of form in the first half of the 2000s; you see a SA scorecard these days and expect to see some solid digits next to Amla's name.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think he has had some kind of deep spiritual enlightenment or something. Has that calm look on his face like the world all makes perfect sense now.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
yeah, I don't think I've ever seen him celebrate a catch with outstretched arms and the works. Sort of chap who'd make you think twice before acting your usual, silly self in his company.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
^^Wonder what technical adjustments he's made to become the sort of generally impregnable stroke maker he is today. I've heard ppl talk about modifications to the arc of his batswing, which used to come in from slips once...it's almost like Ponting's rich vein of form in the first half of the 2000s; you see a SA scorecard these days and expect to see some solid digits next to Amla's name.
He still has the same "angled" bat in his setup, but his hands stay in closer to his body, whereas there used to be more of a separation, dragging his head across.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Based on the statistically insignificant sample size of one inning Quiney is a fool. His technique looked ok - just his judgement. Perhaps he had too much adrenaline pumping for this inning being his debut.