• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh I wasn't referring specifically to him when I said 'most successful seamers' and 'how they pick up wickets'. I meant those who are quite obviously mediocre non Test standard bowlers but yet collect heaps of wickets season after season. I just included that bit to point out like what you said, it's a common skill to have as a pace bowler in India.
Fair enough.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yep. He bowls big inswingers, and leg cutters. The classic combination, and a real treat to watch with the new ball. I'm not completely sold on whether he'll really 'make it' as a Test bowler by any stretch but I like watching him bowl anyway. India have something work with at the very least with a new ball combination of Yadav/Bhuvi, even if the fact that India's development of fast bowlers is terrible will likely banish both to The Wheel.
If he can bowl consistently and intelligently using that combo he'll do good. The problem is how little margin for error indian selectors give to bowlers who can't bowl 140kph, two poor games and he'll be out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rutherford:

What are people's thoughts? Obviously good knock, but I've only seen highlights of him on day 1. People liking what they see?

Flem274*

123/5
A lot to like but as an NZ fan who has had to watch numerous false dawns on the opening front, his defensive technique in the Plunket Shield isn't as strong as one would like.

However our opening batsman standards/expectations are so low an average of 30 or higher = success.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Will average more than his old man. Low bar as that is. :ph34r: Sorry Ken.

The powers that be don't want to try to turn him into a limited overs player currently tho. Looks a completely different player in tests; has a few go-to shots he uses in the longer format and it works well for him. Whilst he's learning his trade being forced to improvise could wreck his game.

Although, NZ finances being what they are, one suspects the inevitable IPL contract will make it a moot point.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Will average more than his old man. Low bar as that is. :ph34r: Sorry Ken.

The powers that be don't want to try to turn him into a limited overs player currently tho. Looks a completely different player in tests; has a few go-to shots he uses in the longer format and it works well for him. Whilst he's learning his trade being forced to improvise could wreck his game.

Although, NZ finances being what they are, one suspects the inevitable IPL contract will make it a moot point.
He's simply a gun domestic T20 player. Quality shots all around the ground. Not so great at the List A stuff so far.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Got my third impression of 'ruthers today. Saw him in a T20 at the basin, saw highlights of his 170, and saw his 23 today live.
He will be a keeper but won't average 40 plus as he does like to have a go outside off stump.
But his 23 was a solid 23 today off 62 balls I think. Looked solid in defence.

If he can average 32-35 runs then that will be success for us.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shannon Gabriel - potential gun.

Late 130s to low 140s, gets nice shape away from the right handers. The way he set up Mawoyo yesterday was encouraging.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Agar will probably ruin his bowling if he tries to become Vettori, he is a good bowler too, best domestic in Australia right now (including Lyon). Interesting to see if he can be as effective at test level

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I really liked the look of Mohammed Shami during the ODIs against Australia so I was very happy to see him selected in the Test team and from what I saw, he looked very good. Has the potential to be the best right arm quick from India since Srinath. Not the loftiest of goals, but still.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really liked the look of Mohammed Shami during the ODIs against Australia so I was very happy to see him selected in the Test team and from what I saw, he looked very good. Has the potential to be the best right arm quick from India since Srinath. Not the loftiest of goals, but still.
That's a pretty lofty goal and I'd be delighted if he has a career that's comparable to Srinath's. :p

Lets not get ahead of ourselves anyways, he bowled really well, but it was just the Windies after all.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As i posted in the tour thread. He has a better action than any other Indian Seamer I have ever seen including Kapil Dev (he was a good bowler but his action was nothing to write home about). His run up bothers me though and he looks a bit unco and off balance when he is running in and would think he would be better served to reconstruct it.

Mentally he needs more experience and I reckon a batsman with a bit of a swagger could dominate him while he is still wet behind the ears.