• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

Flem274*

123/5
With his actual batting or the fact that he's willing to do anything to get into the team?

I still don't have high hopes for him as a test match opener, he's still a massive fiddler. But if his keeping is up to standard then he'll be a real asset for NZ down the order.
Well both really - his attitude is obviously great, but I was talking about his batting improvements there. I don't think he'll ever be a Test opener either but I think he'd a really good number seven if he took the gloves and comfortably your best non-Ryder bet for #6 currently even if he didn't.
Ryder isn't coming back for SA is he? Watling must be a dead cert to play at 6 or 7, even if someone else takes the gloves.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree, and frankly if he's not going to keep he should be in the side anyway. I've been really impressed with him in the last 18 months or so.
Yup, Watling's batting has improved; and with Guptill so badly out of nick & Ryder on the sidelines, he should be there or thereabouts in the batting line-up.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Kruger van Wyk the Kiwi | Sport24

“When I left I was not just looking for more opportunities in cricket, I was looking to broaden my horizons as a person and New Zealand has given me those, but also to my family and the quality of life we have,” Van Wyk said on Monday.

Any thought of bitterness or rancour towards his former homeland - such as were expressed by Kevin Pietersen when he went to England - were dismissed out of hand by the diminutive Van Wyk.

“Not at all, not at all. Life is too short to be sour about anything and, if I’m brutally honest, I wasn’t consistent enough to make the South African side. Mark Boucher has been a top performer for 15 years and that speaks for itself. But I also knew that if I kept working hard at my game then, somewhere along the line, opportunities would come, and I’m grateful and thankful that they have with New Zealand.”

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also, Kruger never represented South Africa at senior level. Even if it was because he wasn't good enough, he still did not cross that line. Ronchi put on the Australian cap and it should be for life.
I find this argument absolutely ****ing absurd, frankly. You're just punishing Ronchi for being a better player than van Wyk. It's ridiculous. If he got picked for SA he would've played. Whether he actually did or not doesn't matter. He's far, far worse than the Ronchi situation.

Flem274*

123/5
I find this argument absolutely ****ing absurd, frankly. You're just punishing Ronchi for being a better player than van Wyk. It's ridiculous. If he got picked for SA he would've played. Whether he actually did or not doesn't matter. He's far, far worse than the Ronchi situation.
Too bad. He played for Australia. That's the line. It's ridiculous he can play for NZ. Can you imagine the reaction if he was half English and turned up in an Ashes series for England? That's how I feel about him.

If he plays we should get Tamim Iqbal on the phone.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No I tend to agree with Phlegm. Ronchi has actually been quoted as saying if McCullum was still keeping he probably wouldn't be here.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
i find this argument absolutely ****ing absurd, frankly. You're just punishing ronchi for being a better player than van wyk. It's ridiculous. If he got picked for sa he would've played. Whether he actually did or not doesn't matter. He's far, far worse than the ronchi situation.
awta

Zinzan

These are really handy runs after that mini-collapse....38 unbeaten the partnership now.

flibbertyjibber

Avoiding debates on players (An English fan sticking his nose nose in is a bit pot and kettle) nationalities, but is Ronchi a better player than any of the current keepers?

Also regarding the game, how many overs have they been losing each day? Will surely come into Taylor's thinking as he will need long enough to bowl them out.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No I tend to agree with Phlegm. Ronchi has actually been quoted as saying if McCullum was still keeping he probably wouldn't be here.
If what Flem says is true that Ronchi is planning on moving back to Australia after his career is over here then I give Kruger the nod.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

+`1.

Kruger's was still definitely a tactical decision.

He made the tactical decision to play in a country where he could definitely get into a FC side.

He probably wouldn't have made any Aus first class teams.

I don't really care though, what frustrates me is how the hell he gets picked here. I thought Young was a far better gloveman. Hell, even Hopkins or McGlashan are better choices.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Avoiding debates on players (An English fan sticking his nose nose in is a bit pot and kettle) nationalities, but is Ronchi a better player than any of the current keepers?
I dunno, thats one the selectors will be able to judge more than me. Watling and de Boorder are generally accepted to be good players though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ronchi looks a very tidy keeper from what I saw in the t20s. Moves well. The type of keeper that makes difficult catches look routine by using good footwork.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like how high Astle's backlift is. Looks real vulnerable to lbw/bowled through the gate.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
re: the balls

I really hope that Kookaburra refunds them. It seems like the type of administrative budgetary thing that could just get written off by SLC or something, but really, that level of QC is unacceptable.

jcas0167

International Debutant
+`1.

Kruger's was still definitely a tactical decision.

He made the tactical decision to play in a country where he could definitely get into a FC side.

He probably wouldn't have made any Aus first class teams.

I don't really care though, what frustrates me is how the hell he gets picked here. I thought Young was a far better gloveman. Hell, even Hopkins or McGlashan are better choices.
Didn't he have the top batting average last season in FC cricket? He earned his selection through weight of runs. Also, Wright probably liked his attitude and thought he'd be a fighter. Which proved to be the case in the SA series IIRC.

Doesn't appear to have the game against spin, but I suspect he'd do reasonably well in SA on their pitches and less skilful spin bowlers.

Last edited: