• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka 2012

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got there in the end. Good knock. That was a fairly agonising last 10 runs, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, disagree. I'm not usually a big Watling fan, but I thought he did a good job today.
Yeah. I'm actually starting to like Twatling, tbh. I never thought he really deserved the original run he got as Test opener and I hated it even more when the selectors randomly decided to play three openers in the top three even though their middle order options were so much better than their top order ones, so I resented him for that. However, his dedication to adapting his game to whatever the team needs can only be commended. He bats all over the shop depending on what the teams at the time, never really able to get settled on working his skillset for one role, and he's even taken up the gloves again despite not doing it on a consistent basis since youth cricket. He's actually been pretty successful of late in different roles in one day cricket and he quite clearly has a calm cricket brain, well suited to a crisis.

Quite the contrary to McCullum who bats wherever he feels like, team balanced be damned, gave away the gloves despite being the best gloveman in the country in a desperate attempt to extend his career as a distinctly mediocre international batsman, and has the match awareness of a ******** fish. :ph34r:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
any opinions about the new fielding restrictions? i quite like the theory of them because the single is the worst scoring shot, but how have they played out so far

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Not as hard as Latham made it look. Still a 240ish pitch though.
Seems discouraging to me that Hesson, the details man, blithely said "he had good results against India A".

Everyone on CW knows that he didn't look particularly flash, and let's remember Paul Wiseman and Bruce Martin had a 200 partnership for NZ A once. Pointless to pay for such extensive video surveillance if it's all just vanity or player-based, and the wonks and top brass don't bother.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree. Coming in at 1-17 from 6.3, he had a consolidation job to do. And did well.
Why would you consolidate after such a slow start against a team like Sri Lanka?

1 wicket after 6 and a half overs isn't a disaster. Typically you'd expect to be 1 down after 10. You need to bat aggressively or bat long.

Their seamers are pretty weak up front. Malinga is most effective at the death so you don't want to leave yourself too many to score at end. Sri Lanka are also a strong batting side, so you need to give them a tougher target and put the pressure on their bowling.

The slow run-rate should have a greater impact than the one wicket down.

That was the difference in the game just gone. Sri Lanka kept ticking along regardless of the odd wicket falling. They won comfortably on D-L despite being 3 down at a stage when NZ were 1 down.

Last edited: