• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I would really, really like to see is this Indian line-up in the short run:

Rahane | Sehwag/Gambhir* | Kohli | Pujara | Rohit | Tendulkar | Dhoni + | Ashwin | Ojha | Yadav | Another paceman

I think Kohli really fires at the number 3 slot, and he should be given a shot there. He seems to thrive in the upper order, especially if there is a challenge to be met. Pujara is better technically, yes, but I feel he would do as well at number 4. Rohit will become a good test player, if we let him play tests, that is. Tendulkar at 6 will be awesome. He will have less pressure on himself, and can play slightly more freely, especially when the team needs the runs lower down the order. He can marshall the innings more, and it's better if we expect less from him. Another paceman could be any of Awana/Pankaj Singh/Varun Aaron/Praveen Kumar etc. anybody apart from Ishant Sharma, please.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Think Tendulkar should stay at no.4. If there was someone solid batting at no.6, he could possibly move down to no.5. And no.6 might be too low for him.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Aaron is a above decent talent, but is always injured imo.

Hasn't played any cricket after the IPL, it seems. Also, has done better in his LO career than FC so far.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hasn't played an FC game in over a year, and bowled straight pies in it too. Doesn't do anything with the ball that suggests he can succeed at test level.

stumpski

International Captain
Finn is likely to miss the Test, and Broad surely won't be risked - the replacement to come from Onions, Bresnan and Meaker, in that order of likelihood I'd have thought. Is Patel going to get another go? Trouble is when you play no games between Tests, there's no form guide for other candidates.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's all a grand scheme to keep Onions out of the England side.
Talking of which, cricinfo reckon that Bresnan will/should come in for the newly injured Finn. I really could do without Bresnan's recent form with the ball, and I don't see him making significantly more runs than Onions with the bat.

harsh.ag

Hasn't played an FC game in over a year, and bowled straight pies in it too. Doesn't do anything with the ball that suggests he can succeed at test level.
You must be correct. I just threw his name in because I had been slightly impressed with him on his test debut, and was wondering what had happened to him. He hasn't done anything to merit his place in the side. True. What do you think of the rest of the side, and the balance? My thinking was on the lines that if either of Sehwag or Gambhir was retained and made captain, perhaps their shot-selection might become more cautious and disciplined, as they look out for the fortune of their side slightly more than they do now (although in Sehwag's case, that seems like a hopeless expectation). And who do you think is a good replacement for Zaheer?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Gets it to reverse with the old ball, imo and is probably the most accurate of those who can bowl above 140 k in India.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gets it to reverse with the old ball, imo and is probably the most accurate of those who can bowl above 140 k in India.
So, like 4 bowlers?

Every man and his dog reverses it with the SG ball nowadays. Not saying it isn't a lethal weapon but it doesn't help when it's all you can do, and are ineffective up front with the new ball when the team relies on you to get a good start.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aaron's lying on the floor of a room with a massive ceiling.

Shouldn't be near the side at the moment but India should be doing everything they can to help him develop as he's got more basic tools to work with than the vast majority of other young bowlers in the country.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Aaron should be nowhere near the test side until and unless he has one season in FC cricket averaging thereabouts of 25 with the ball.

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
Talking of which, cricinfo reckon that Bresnan will/should come in for the newly injured Finn. I really could do without Bresnan's recent form with the ball, and I don't see him making significantly more runs than Onions with the bat.
It'd be a disgrace if Bresnan got in over Onions yet again; the latter should have got the nod pre-tour based, if nothing else, on Bresnan's obvious loss of pace after his injury.

fredfertang

It'd be a disgrace if Bresnan got in over Onions yet again; the latter should have got the nod pre-tour based, if nothing else, on Bresnan's obvious loss of pace after his injury.
At least the Indians will have a fighting chance if Onions is left out

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Can someone explain to me why Pyush Chawla is being touted as the front runner for the final test?

cnerd123

likes this
Can someone explain to me why Pyush Chawla is being touted as the front runner for the final test?
Can't really be worse than the others bowlers (barring Ojha) at this stage tbh.

Probably because Awana and Dinda haven't been training with the squad yet, and have been allowed to complete their Ranji games, while the pitch is looking dry, which suggests 3 spinners + Rahane at 6.