• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Howe_zat

Audio File
Been a pretty typical day one, though the fact that there's been no stand out performances at all is unexpected in a series that's had a few players carrying each team. You'd say every session has been more or less even given the score, but England getting nothing with the first new ball except a stupid run out suggests India really haven't made the most out of winning the toss on this wicket. Probably England's day, but only to the extend of cancelling out the toss than being genuinely on top.
And that wicket's just about tipped it over. Advantage England.

cnerd123

likes this
"That's the wicket they would have wanted"

Commentating team clearly don't rate Dhoni highly :p

Who are commentating now, Nass and Atherton?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know I was just trying to get smiley riled up, no need to bring logic into this :p

ImpatientLime

International Regular
How much pressure, if any, is Swann's place under from Panesar when England go back to one spinner?

I find it odd that both Cook and Strauss have appeared to have more faith in Monty when the two have played together.

biased indian

International Coach
Have feeling that this could be low scoring game where each team will struggle to score more than 350....Eden with early start most of the time your fast bowlers are also in the game

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ashwin looks good enough with the bat to find a place in Pakistan'stop order
Gavaskar and co, having worked overtime to argue Harbhajan's case even though he was clearly struggling to stay in the team as a spinner for the last few years.They latched on to his "makings of an all rounder" to strengthen his case as he was gasping for breath, For them to now admit that Ashin is the first genuine all rounder India has seen since Kapil and (to a lesser extent) Prabhakar is so obviously very tough indeed. "He could have the makings of an allrounder" Gavaskar very reluctantly uttered today. That must have tough Sunnybhai.

Ashwin does not have the makings of an all rounder - he IS an all rounder, the all rounder India has been bemoaning the lack of for over two decades. His batting, I would like to say is actually even better than his bowling and if the captain and selectors realise this and, more importantly, encourage the youngster in that direction, Ashwin will be India's first batting all rounder in a long long time.

At the cost of ruffling some feathers here let me express my opinion that Ashwin should bat higher than his captain in Test matches and he may actually move a spot higher still in time.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
How much pressure, if any, is Swann's place under from Panesar when England go back to one spinner?

I find it odd that both Cook and Strauss have appeared to have more faith in Monty when the two have played together.
Well historically Monty has always been the better spinner in the SC. Swann has bowled better in England and elsewhere. His batting also helps him

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar and co, having worked overtime to argue Harbhajan's case even though he was clearly struggling to stay in the team as a spinner for the last few years.They latched on to his "makings of an all rounder" to strengthen his case as he was gasping for breath, For them to now admit that Ashin is the first genuine all rounder India has seen since Kapil and (to a lesser extent) Prabhakar is so obviously very tough indeed. "He could have the makings of an allrounder" Gavaskar very reluctantly uttered today. That must have tough Sunnybhai.

Ashwin does not have the makings of an all rounder - he IS an all rounder, the all rounder India has been bemoaning the lack of for over two decades. His batting, I would like to say is actually even better than his bowling and if the captain and selectors realise this and, more importantly, encourage the youngster in that direction, Ashwin will be India's first batting all rounder in a long long time.

At the cost of ruffling some feathers here let me express my opinion that Ashwin should bat higher than his captain in Test matches and he may actually move a spot higher still in time.
I agree with your post except only one minor point - I personally think that Irfan Pathan was a slightly better allrounder than Manoj Prabhakar.

cnerd123

likes this

That's what I was thinking to. There was one point where he has bowled 16 overs and Swann only 3. Gambhir and Sachin were batting, so it wasn't because there were 2 right handers.

Probably kept Panesar on just for Sachin, and trusted the quicks to nick out Gambhir, but it was interesting.