• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
if for test matches (even if it was in an ODI that I saw them play live), then here's mine:

M Hayden
V Sehwag
H Amla
J Kallis
K Sangakkara
S Waugh ©
A Gilchrist (wk)
D Steyn
A Donald
G McGrath
M Muralidaran

Murali/Warne is a 50/50 call

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Best XI of players I've seen live:

1) Rahul Dravid
2) Alastair Cook
3) Kumar Sangakara
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) Sourav Ganguly
6) Adam Gilchrist
7) Shane Warne
8) Mitchell Johnson
9) Lasith Malinga
10) James Anderson
11) Glenn McGrath

I realise some of them are out of place (notably Dravid) but with a team that solid I'm sure they could cope- not to mention, why would anyone leave out Dravid!. In terms of when I've been to test matches, I've had to use players who I saw in their traditional role on that day (otherwise the first three batsmen would probably have read "Langer, Hayden, Ponting"). Was tempting to put Strauss in, mainly for his captaincy, but the presence of Ganguly allowed the me to just put Cook in for his runs.
Seems a bowler heavy to me...drop Malinga for Strauss and rely on Tendulkar/Ganguly to plop down some medium pace?

andmark

International Captain
Seems a bowler heavy to me...drop Malinga for Strauss and rely on Tendulkar/Ganguly to plop down some medium pace?
Yeah come to think of it, it's hard not to have the best England captain in modern times. Dropping Malinga (putting Dravid down the order) and replacing him with Strauss seems fair.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Best I have seen:

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting *
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist +
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath
Muralidharan

I watched cricket most religiously between mid 90's to early 00's. So there's some era bias (missing Steyn). What an amazing unit that is though. Kallis and Gilchrist lend incredible balance to the team.

JBMAC

State Captain
Best I have seen

Hayden
Greenidge
Bradman *
Harvey
Ponting
Tendulkar
Tallon +
Lillee
Hall
McGrath
Warne

Could probably name at least another 2 teams to play Tests against this side and give them a good run for their money.....Hammond,Grout , O'Neill, Marshall, Miller, Lindwall to name just a few

smash84

The Tiger King
Best I have seen

Hayden
Greenidge
Bradman *
Harvey
Ponting
Tendulkar
Tallon +
Lillee
Hall
McGrath
Warne

Could probably name at least another 2 teams to play Tests against this side and give them a good run for their money.....Hammond,Grout , O'Neill, Marshall, Miller, Lindwall to name just a few
Never ceases to amaze me that we have members here who have actually seen Bradman play. :notworthy:

JB you can claim to be the Richie Benaud of Cricketweb :p

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Associate World Cup ATG XI
1 William Porterfield IRE
2 John Davison CAN
3 Ed Joyce iRE
4 Steve Tikolo KEN
5 Ryan ten Doeschate NED
6 Shaiman Anwar UAE
7 Niall O'Brien IRE
8 Collins Obuya KEN
9 Trent Johnston IRE
10 Josh Davey SCO
11 Hamid Hassan AFG

Odoyo, K O'brien, Stirling, Hamilton, Odumbe, Shapoor, Baidwan, Dockrell and Bagai are in the mix.

This is based on World Cup performances, not necessarily the best. K. O'Brien, G. Hamilton and T. Odoyo the most unlucky.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Best I have seen

Hayden
Greenidge
Bradman *
Harvey
Ponting
Tendulkar
Tallon +
Lillee
Hall
McGrath
Warne

Harvey over Hammond? Though if you only saw Hammond play after the war, thats understandable.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Best I have seen

Hayden
Greenidge
Bradman *
Harvey
Ponting
Tendulkar
Tallon +
Lillee
Hall
McGrath
Warne

I'd be interested for you to elaborate on your choice of openers.

JBMAC

State Captain
Hall over Marshall and Tallon over Gilly otherwise far bigger mysteries to me.
Hall, impo, having faced him and been coached by him a better bowler than his figures tell. AND with a side as strong as that batting wise and the calibre of bowlers you need a good stumper.Hence the selection of Tallon over Gilly. Tallon was a purist with the gloves and a better keeper I have never seen

JBMAC

State Captain
Yes, Hayden over Morris is an interesting one. Assuming that JBMAC has seen Morris bat, which is very likely.
Hard call Watson.Went for Hayden because of the quickness in which he scored his runs. Could have even put Haynes in with Greenidge. They were a good foil for each other......like Lawry/Simpson, Lawry/Redpath etc etc etc

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Best performances in matches I've attended at least part of XI:
1. Brendon McCullum [+]
2. Michael Hussey
3. Ricky Ponting
[*]
4. Jacques Kallis [3]
5. Virat Kohli
6. Steven Smith [7]
7. Andrew Symonds [6]
8. Daniel Vettori [4]
9. Brett Lee [2]
10. Stuart MacGill [5]
11. Glenn McGrath [1]

12. Moises Henriques

List of matches considered:
New South Wales vs. Queensland at Telstra Stadium -- ING Cup -- 2003/04 (MacGill 4/42)
Australia vs. South Africa at SCG -- Test Match -- 2005/06 (Ponting 120, 143*; Kallis 111, 50*)
Australia vs. India at SCG -- Test Match -- 2007/08 (Symonds 162*, 61, 3/51; Hussey 145*; Lee 59, 5/119)
New South Wales vs. Queensland at ANZ Stadium -- T20 Big Bash -- 2007/08 (McGrath 2/11 [4]; Smith 4/15 [3])
New South Wales vs. Queensland at ANZ Stadium -- T20 Big Bash -- 2009/10 (Vettori 1/6 [2]; Symonds 38*)
Sutherland vs. Hawkesbury at Glenn McGrath Oval -- Sydney First Grade -- 2009/10 (Smith ~170*)
New South Wales vs. Tasmania at Bankstown -- Sheffield Shield -- 2012/13 (Henriques 161*, 50*, 3/41)
CA Invitational XI vs. England at SCG -- Tour Match -- 2013/14 (N/A)
New Zealand vs. India at Wellington -- Test Match -- 2013/14 (McCullum 302; Kohli 38, 105*)
Australia vs. India at SCG -- Test Match -- 2014/15 (Smith 117, 71; Kohli 147, 46)
Afghanistan vs. England at SCG -- ODI -- World Cup 2015 (N/A)

Gob

International Coach
dono if this belongs in all time discussion thread but I cbf

Trescothick
Vaughan
Ponting
Martyn
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
Akthar
Bond
McGrath

my favourite xi

Gob

International Coach
best xi from the 90's

Taylor*
Anwar
Lara
Tendulkar
De Silva
S Waugh
Healy+
Warne
Waqar
Donald
Ambrose

de silva over mark waugh was a close one and imo mwaugh was the better bat over all but arvinda was bat **** crazy around 97 so I'll pick him from that period.

bagapath

International Captain
Skippers XI for ODIs

Jayasuriya
Ganguly
Viv Richards
Ponting
de Villiers
Dhoni
Imran
Shakib
S.Pollock