• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Azharuddin was probably worse than all Indians in that list IMO. I know there are many match-fixers in that list, but India deserved to have a representative as well.

uvelocity

International Coach
Azharuddin was probably worse than all Indians in that list IMO. I know there are many match-fixers in that list, but India deserved to have a representative as well.
fear not, the indians on the list are plenty ****y enough

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who won the Azhar battle?

EDIT: Looks like Gilchrist. In most other battles Azhar would've cruised.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
How isn't Stuart Broad in this one? That petulant little brat threw the ball at a pakistani batsman I think and injured his hand. I smell some pommie favoritism

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How isn't Stuart Broad in this one? That petulant little brat threw the ball at a pakistani batsman I think and injured his hand. I smell some pommie favoritism
Possibly because you didn't nominate him?

Have to say one of the reasons* why this Battle is much more fun than most on here is that nationalistic lines appear to have been ignored - I for one would be happy to acknowledge that Broad deserved a place on the starting grid (though I don't think he'd be worth a place in the last 16)

*main reason of course is the sterling and impartial efforts of LHC to make it entertaining

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed, LHC's taken a good concept and run with it extremely well to make it one of the better battles on CW.

Morgie's also done a great job in the BotTMatches.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Since he's got a solid lead here, Barnacle gets a reprieve.

To salve Fred's conscience a bit, I found a Telegraph anti-obituary where he's slightly more of a **** than commonly averred. Features beamers, youthful stroppiness and active disappointment at not being part of the leg-theory age.
As the article says he was really just more of a pragmatist than a romantic and that does not necessarily a **** make. Although deliberately bowling beamers does definitely crossed the border into the realms of ****ishness, he at least had enough about him to own up to what is (IMHO, obz) a fairly common but largely unacknowledged practice.

Sloppy factchecking tho, 99.94% sure this wrong:

Simon Briggs in the Torygraph said:
In the wake of Jardine’s ‘Bodyline’ assault - which involved a short-pitched attack at the batsman’s chest and head - lbw was declared impossible against balls that pitched outside leg stump.
I'm pretty sure it's never been possible to get an LBW decision when a ball has pitched outside leg, has it?

Howe_zat

Audio File
According to wikipedia the earliest drafts of the law emphasised the batsman being given out only if the ball was "straight", which was later changed to wicket-to-wicket, and it wasn't until 1937 that you could be given out with a ball that pitched outside off.

fredfertang

I'm pretty sure it's never been possible to get an LBW decision when a ball has pitched outside leg, has it?
No it hasn't, remarkable gaffe from the torygraph, let's hope they are all distracted as they have some inside knowledge and are all busy preparing the iron haradan's obituary

fredfertang

According to wikipedia the earliest drafts of the law emphasised the batsman being given out only if the ball was "straight", which was later changed to wicket-to-wicket, and it wasn't until 1937 that you could be given out with a ball that pitched outside off.
Didn't I put up a feature about the history of the lbw law? I do recall writing one - I'll have a look

edit :- yes I did, not my most exhilarating work by any means, but it's all there

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
No it hasn't, remarkable gaffe from the torygraph, let's hope they are all distracted as they have some inside knowledge and are all busy preparing the iron haradan's obituary
I've been told most newspapers have obituaries for elderly or ill famous people prepared long in advance in case they happen to bite the dust, and just update them when they do something interesting.

fredfertang

I've been told most newspapers have obituaries for elderly or ill famous people prepared long in advance in case they happen to bite the dust, and just update them when they do something interesting.
Indeed, but I have a feeling in my water that this one will be needed very soon - and I have of course already prepared the OP for the thread I will start when the news breaks - it's pretty short though, and most of what there is will fall foul of the filter, though as it will be such a special occasion I may decide to **** the infraction and do some filter avoidance anyway

fredfertang

I always suspected that her entire career may have been an attempt to bait you into an infraction.
That thought had never occurred to me, but I have little doubt you are correct - jeez I hate her even more now, or at least I would if that were possible, and even though I have somewhat derailed this thread, **** me its the appropriate one to derail