• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I believe in Jeetan Patel thread

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jeets will become the best spinner in the world.

It's calls like these that are the reason I get paid the big bucks.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'll admit I gave him some crap earlier on, but WAFG he is to bounce back and dominate.

My new tactic - if I rubbish someone they come good. Secondary case, Bairstow.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bowled pretty well - got wickets mostly with balls that didn't deserve them but bowled some that did too.

Hopefully will follow the Indian spinners' example of slowing the speed down a little too... though that does work better when your team is on top.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bowled pretty well - got wickets mostly with balls that didn't deserve them but bowled some that did too.

Hopefully will follow the Indian spinners' example of slowing the speed down a little too... though that does work better when your team is on top.
I don't think he should slow down at all - I disagreed a lot when the commentators were banging on about that.

the only thing he has going for him since last time around the nz merry go round is that he has increased his pace. And now he is smarter. Now we are telling him to go back to bowling his old speed. That is taking away 50% of his new skill set.

He went for 2.6 an over and he took some wickets. Let him stay unchanged.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah I really mean it. A better spinner would have bowled us out cheaply. Jeets was the hero India needed.
A Shri troll doesn't hurt because it comes from Shri and is therefore inherently dire to begin with.

Meridio

International Regular
I don't think he should slow down at all - I disagreed a lot when the commentators were banging on about that.

the only thing he has going for him since last time around the nz merry go round is that he has increased his pace. And now he is smarter. Now we are telling him to go back to bowling his old speed. That is taking away 50% of his new skill set.

He went for 2.6 an over and he took some wickets. Let him stay unchanged.
Completely disagree with this tbh. I've only seen five or six overs from him this test, but he's bowled at the same speed he always has - which IMO has always been too quick. When he was in the NZ team (semi) regularly a couple of years ago he generally operated around 90 km/h, whereas most spinners around the world bowl at 80.

The main difference I've seen between now and then is he seems to mix up the amount of spin he puts on each ball, rather than bowling with the same spin each time. And has possibly been a bit more accurate, but I haven't really seen enough to be sure there.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
From what I saw of him on the first day it looked like he's been working on controlling the angle of the seam better. He used to just bowl the same ball over and over but now has one that turns more and bounces less as well as the stock ball and also one that is closer to being a top spinner.

I still think he could get more out of his action and turn it a bit more, he's got a great release so that isn't the issue.

Anyway, Jeets 4/100 - WAFG!

Howsie

International Captain

...and if you're bowling against batsmen from New Zealand. If Patel had bowled slower more than likely the Indian batsmen would've just skiped down the track and whacked him back over his head all day long. I doubt for example Ojha would keep bowling at around 75-80K had a batsmen looked to use their feet and do the same thing. That pace would probably jump up fairly quickly. As it were though we played the spinners like a bunch of scared rabbits (barring Flynn) and we paid the price.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

I dunno if it was just that one game, but someone posted highlights of one of his county 5-fors and it involved basically all stupid shots or so called "undeserved" wickets. Suggests that it's probably his main game plan, rather than a fluke.

thierry henry

International Coach
Completely disagree with this tbh. I've only seen five or six overs from him this test, but he's bowled at the same speed he always has - which IMO has always been too quick. When he was in the NZ team (semi) regularly a couple of years ago he generally operated around 90 km/h, whereas most spinners around the world bowl at 80.
Yep. Dunno where Hurricane was coming from there. Patel has always bowled an 85-90kph stock ball.

That's why he always sort of looks ok (nice action, spins it) but isn't effective- he just keeps bowling that same utterly predictable off-spinner half a yard too quick.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I got it from the commentators who reckoned he was bowling two yards quicker than his last visit to India.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hopefully he gets a go against a non sub-continental side and we'll see if he lowers his speeds, then.

He probably thinks, quite rightly, that if he slows it up too much the Indian batsmen will murder him.