• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, one can never expect our primary sector men to add too much value before their logs and milk powder arrive at Rising Pune Supergiant HQ.

Hesson and McMillan would point to Clarkson's superb white ball stats and say he has some excellent market value already. Let's not go all Scandinavian and try to turn our Central Districts tall timber into elegant furniture or anything; that would be getting too greedy.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahhh

Still learnt his cricket here tho :p
Chapman certainly looking 'impishly talented yet bullyable' to me in my winter research, *****. Some definite hallmarks of a Minnowsville education.

A proper Chapman vs. Short Stuff video is now warranted, and that'll be sent to some of the domestic captains on Twitter. There's maybe a 5% chance this could take his career in a drastic Carl Cachopa direction, at which point you would get him back for Hong Kong.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
More a Thomson-lite. if someone can get him into the gym and away from the beer he'll be pushing 140 clicks in a couple of years.

Howsie

International Captain
Elliot Law, from Fraser Tech? He'd be lucky to hit 120k at the moment. Good luck adding 20k to that action.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Took an 8/45 while not bowling flat-out on a club wicket, eh. Almost suggests he has a brain.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So the draft FTP for 2019-2023 has leaked. NZ scheduled to play just 7 tests a year on average. Tbf, pretty much everyone will be playing a lot less test cricket. WI, SL and Pakistan will also be averaging just 7 tests a year, while SA and Bangladesh will be playing 8 and India 9. So maybe this is more of a test cricket doom and gloom post.

England-India is the other Ashes - ESPNcricinfo

The apportionment of those tests is more or less what you'd expect. We'll be playing home and away series against Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India, and individual series against Australia (away), South Africa (home), England (away) and WI (home). So yeah, get down to the tests v England this summer because it'll be a looooong time before they come back. Based on the number of tests we're scheduled to play, almost all of those series will be 2 matches, though I suspect the 2022 tour to England, the 2020/21 home series against India and the 2020 tour of Bangladesh will all be 3 matches in length.

Overall it's a bit miserable, but at least everyone save the England and Aus posters are in the same boat.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So the draft FTP for 2019-2023 has leaked. NZ scheduled to play just 7 tests a year on average. Tbf, pretty much everyone will be playing a lot less test cricket. WI, SL and Pakistan will also be averaging just 7 tests a year, while SA and Bangladesh will be playing 8 and India 9. So maybe this is more of a test cricket doom and gloom post.

England-India is the other Ashes - ESPNcricinfo

The apportionment of those tests is more or less what you'd expect. We'll be playing home and away series against Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India, and individual series against Australia (away), South Africa (home), England (away) and WI (home). So yeah, get down to the tests v England this summer because it'll be a looooong time before they come back. Based on the number of tests we're scheduled to play, almost all of those series will be 2 matches, though I suspect the 2022 tour to England, the 2020/21 home series against India and the 2020 tour of Bangladesh will all be 3 matches in length.

Overall it's a bit miserable, but at least everyone save the England and Aus posters are in the same boat.
It's really rubbish overall for Tests. 50 odd fewer tests, despite the inclusion of two new nations. And after finally getting 3 Test series in Australia again, we're back down to two the next time around.

Sigh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't the FTP just a rough guideline? It's not normally carried out that way is it? Trying to be hopeful I guess

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Isn't the FTP just a rough guideline? It's not normally carried out that way is it? Trying to be hopeful I guess
Of course it's a guideline - if India need to schedule some more home matches to get the stats up at the expense of the FTP we know they'll do it.

IMO the biggest pile of **** in it is creating a window for a domestic tournament in the calendar.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty awful isn't it

I dont know about most other posters, but I seriously don't watch a single ball of these domestic competitions (outside Aus). Neither does anyone else I know for that matter.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course it's a guideline - if India need to schedule some more home matches to get the stats up at the expense of the FTP we know they'll do it.

IMO the biggest pile of **** in it is creating a window for a domestic tournament in the calendar.
TBF re: the IPL countries weren't really scheduling internationals during that period anyway.