• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Voting Thread- Quick ATG XI Draft- No Bradman (with a poll!)

Which XI is the best?

• Total voters

watson

Banned
Viv, Lillee, Worrell, Holding, Pollock and Laker and not a single vote?
Which just goes to show how irrational cricket lovers are. It really is a matter of the cricket mythology you grew up with as a kid.

In many respects, saying that "Monk's team is superior to kyear's team" is equaivalent to saying "Jospeh Turner's painting is superior to Claude Monet's painting."

However, if I were offer some vague objectivity then I would hazard a guess and say that Jack Russell is the weak link in the equation. On the other hand Lesley Ames or Godfrey Evans conjour up wonderful mental images. Even their names sound great in comparison.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Agree with the above.

Your team is very dynamic, but the one thing that troubled me was the batting fragility from #7 - #11.

Jack Russell was just a handy batsman, then it's all the quicks and Laker who were pretty ordinary with the bat.

I know people say that "the batsmen are there to make the runs and it's not the lower order's job", but reality is that often a partnership with a decent # 7 or 8 (or even #9) from a # 5 or 6 batsman will be worth another 50 or 100 to the team's total.

I don't think the batting of 9-11 matters much, but I think 7-8 is important. It was the only thing I thought was lacking in your team.

The listing of other team's 7-8s were:

Miller
Tayfield

Knott
Imran Khan

Rice
Evans

Prior
Procter

Ames
Hadlee

Botham
Warne

Waite
Benaud

Flower
Davidson

Having said all that, you have a brilliant line-up, and it's all a bit pedantic, but something has to swing the favour.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I understand what you mean, but as I have always said, you pick the best bowlers. Don't believe too much in the importance of the bowling all rounder, much more important to have a solid slip cordon to back them up. But do agree that ny number 7 slot could have been stronger in batting area, but Russel did average 27 with the bat, and my top 6, especially the middle order is amazingly strong.
Oh well, was fun playing anyway.

NB: Not whinning, just a touch surprised.

Jager

International Debutant
I understand what you mean, but as I have always said, you pick the best bowlers. Don't believe too much in the importance of the bowling all rounder, much more important to have a solid slip cordon to back them up. But do agree that ny number 7 slot could have been stronger in batting area, but Russel did average 27 with the bat, and my top 6, especially the middle order is amazingly strong.
Oh well, was fun playing anyway.

NB: Not whinning, just a touch surprised.
awta, plus always try and pick a superb keeper. Russell definitely has that covered

kingkallis

International Coach
Gavaskar, Greenidge, Compton, Border, Gilchrist, Botham, Warne, Trueman

All of these appeared in TOP 4 teams of ATG XI on Cricket web yet no single vote?

*sits with kyear2 - so bro whats up?*

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It comes down to the fact that each team has its weaknesses:

Jager - Lindsay probably batting a slot too high at 6. Miller allows flexibility, however.
Smali - Hanif isn't rated highly on CW, nor is Hayden. Inzy is out of position at 3. Doug Walters has to be the most overqualified sixth bowler ever, mind. Top bowling attack.
kyear2 - Tails off badly after de Villiers at 6. Top 6 is great, and the bowling attack is as good as you get.
Mine - Quite possibly a genuine fast bowler short, and the batting quality drops after the top 4, albeit running deep.
zaremba - Prior isn't rated highly as a 'keeper. Otherwise it bats to 10, and is fantastically well-balanced.
Monk - His entire middle order needs to bat at 3 or 4. Harvey and Sanga are out of position. Their quality, however, is unparalleled. Good bowling attack, too.
KK - Gilchrist too high at 6, Amla a weak point as current cricketers are generally not rated highly. Fantastically flexible bowling attack, with Compton and Border providing part-time spin options to complement Warne, and a good pace attack.
watson - Fredericks/Barlow opening is the weak point, but otherwise well balanced. Bats deep, plenty of bowling options.
Himmanv - Andy Flower as a wicketkeeper isn't rated highly, and he's batting out of position. Bats deep, 6 full-time bowling options (including Sobers), and a fantastic top order, with everyone in the right spot.

They are all extremely strong teams, and the differences are pedantic, but in a small draft all the teams come out relatively even in quality. Pedantic analysis is needed to come up with the best side.

Himmanv and zaremba came out with the best-balanced teams, IMO. Watson very, very close behind.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems to me that rvd's team is just about the strongest I've ever seen assembled in a CW draft - shameful he only has three votes!

smash84

The Tiger King

Jager - Lindsay probably batting a slot too high at 6. Miller allows flexibility, however.
Smali - Hanif isn't rated highly on CW, nor is Hayden. Inzy is out of position at 3. Doug Walters has to be the most overqualified sixth bowler ever, mind. Top bowling attack.
kyear2 - Tails off badly after de Villiers at 6. Top 6 is great, and the bowling attack is as good as you get.
Mine - Quite possibly a genuine fast bowler short, and the batting quality drops after the top 4, albeit running deep.
zaremba - Prior isn't rated highly as a 'keeper. Otherwise it bats to 10, and is fantastically well-balanced.
Monk - His entire middle order needs to bat at 3 or 4. Harvey and Sanga are out of position. Their quality, however, is unparalleled. Good bowling attack, too.
KK - Gilchrist too high at 6, Amla a weak point as current cricketers are generally not rated highly. Fantastically flexible bowling attack, with Compton and Border providing part-time spin options to complement Warne, and a good pace attack.
watson - Fredericks/Barlow opening is the weak point, but otherwise well balanced. Bats deep, plenty of bowling options.
Himmanv - Andy Flower as a wicketkeeper isn't rated highly, and he's batting out of position. Bats deep, 6 full-time bowling options (including Sobers), and a fantastic top order, with everyone in the right spot.

They are all extremely strong teams, and the differences are pedantic, but in a small draft all the teams come out relatively even in quality. Pedantic analysis is needed to come up with the best side.

Himmanv and zaremba came out with the best-balanced teams, IMO. Watson very, very close behind.
Pretty good analysis I would say. Although Watson's bolwing attack trumps all I think

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Seems to me that rvd's team is just about the strongest I've ever seen assembled in a CW draft - shameful he only has three votes!
You serious? Apart from Murali, he has just Lindwall as a top class test bowler. Woolley and Larwood have fairly ordinary bowling records in tests. Batting depth isn't exactly great either if it has depend on an uncapped Rice, and less than spectacular Jardine, Woolley and Evans. Not in top 3 teams even in this draft for mine, let alone across all drafts.

Last edited:

watson

Banned

Good description. However, regarding Monk; I don't think that it is possible for a batman to bat too low in the order. About the worse you can say is that you don't necessarily get full value for the players talent.

On-the-other-hand brilliant lower middle order batsman often look ordinary in positions 1-3. It is possible to bat too high in the order.

The thing about being able to play Harvey at No.6 is that it allows the captain the option of attacking the bowling just when the bowling is starting to tire and the ball is old. Ian Chappell used Doug Walters to great effect in this role. A real game changer.

Finally, I would agree with anyone who says that Spoffoth is an unknown quanity in Monk's team. However, the same applies for Grace, Trumper, Woolley, and Rice. All 4 are just as likely to fail as they are to play brilliantly. Although with Woolley you are more likely to give the benefit of doubt. He IS a great for sound reasons

And doubly finally, Sangakkara is a better batsman than Jardine by a country mile. Jardine can described as solid and dependable, but like that other great captain Mike Brearley lacked either the technique or the temperment to make a big score against quality bowlers. Over the course of a series the contribution of runs by Jardine will be mediocre at best.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I do have a question for Jager....

Did picking Miller first-up create more problems than it solved?

It seems to me that their is a perennial problem regarding his batting position. If you put Miller at 5 or 6 then the top order is weakened because he only averages in the 30s. If you play him primarily as a bowler then potenially your attack in an ATG team is weakened because there are plenty of stronger bowlers out there to be picked.

I think the best combo could be;

6. Reasonable batsman but good with the ball (eg Faulkner)
7. Miller
8. Solid Batsman/Keeper who averages >30 (eg Knott)

With this combination you are not relying on Miller to be either a key batsman or bowler, but at the same time creating good batting and bowling strength around him.

I think your solution would also work Jager if you had a top class batsman/keeper like Gilchrist or Flower at No.6. I don't think that the selection of Lindsay quite cut-the-mustard. If your No.8 was a reasonable batsman then the Lindsay gamble may have worked. However, im my opinion Tayfield was a strategic error because his batting average of 16 was about half of what it should have been. In the end the team's tail became too long and this therefore allows the opposition to counter attack too readily. The team gives the perception of (potentially) 4 out, all out.

The upside is that any series involving your team would be exciting to watch. We could virtually guarantee a 3-2 or 2-3 result because your team would knock over the opposition batting line-up about as often as it would collapse.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You serious? Apart from Murali, he has just Lindwall as a top class test bowler. Woolley and Larwood have fairly ordinary bowling records in tests. Batting depth isn't exactly great either if it has depend on an uncapped Rice, and less than spectacular Jardine, Woolley and Evans. Not in top 3 teams even in this draft for mine, let alone across all drafts.
Absolutely - he has, by my biased judgment obviously, the greatest ever opening bat, probably the second greatest ever opening bat, the greatest captain, the greatest fast bowler, the greatest fast bowler's leading apprentice, the greatest orthodox slow left armer and the greatest off spinner. Macartney, Woolley, Miandad, Evans and Rice are all fine players as well