• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Procter interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, what, I don't live in Chennai anymore, firstly. I've lived in Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai and now study in Rajasthan.

No, the word certainly does not lead to a fuming response in most circumstances.

Maybe, as you say, I have an extremely warped society at all points in my life across four states but I can call up 90% of my friends and call them a sister****er/mother****er in Hindi/Urdu/English/Tamil simply as a tag-on term with my sentences without them getting offended at all. If, for instance, I call someone from Bihar a cowbelt boy or someone from Jharkhand a junglee, these terms while prima facie much lesser insults than the aforementioned words due to the context are totally unacceptable.

I seriously find it hard to believe the society in general in India have a massive problem with family insults when every other sentence from a friendly exchange to a heated fight has madar****/Behn****( Urdu words for sister/mother etc. ) tagged on to it in most parts of the country.

In fact, It is the situation which exists even strongly at the lower economic sections of the society? Do you think auto drivers greet each other saying 'brother' or something? Sorry, bro.
This is the classic case of confusing the abuse with the Hindi/Urdu slang. Yes Ma**c** and Bh**C** (or some version of it, it is the same word that Bhajji claimed to have said to Symonds) is a common slang in the Northern part of the country and that's why it is not considered offensive. But when it is used to abuse (That's why the context) it is considered offensive.

OTOH, people regularly use color to identify people (Kallu, Kalia or Kalwa for Dark skinned people and Gori/Gora for fair skinned, Monkey for ugly) and it is rarely considered offensive.

Not trying to condone such language or saying that any of it is justified but just saying that as I have experienced.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every time I look at this thread it irritates me - could one of the mods please amend the spelling of Mike Procter's name in the title

Fusion

Global Moderator
Haha, what, I don't live in Chennai anymore, firstly. I've lived in Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai and now study in Rajasthan.

No, the word certainly does not lead to a fuming response in most circumstances.

Maybe, as you say, I have an extremely warped society at all points in my life across four states but I can call up 90% of my friends and call them a sister****er/mother****er in Hindi/Urdu/English/Tamil simply as a tag-on term with my sentences without them getting offended at all. If, for instance, I call someone from Bihar a cowbelt boy or someone from Jharkhand a junglee, these terms while prima facie much lesser insults than the aforementioned words due to the context are totally unacceptable.

I seriously find it hard to believe the society in general in India have a massive problem with family insults when every other sentence from a friendly exchange to a heated fight has madar****/Behn****( Urdu words for sister/mother etc. ) tagged on to it in most parts of the country.

In fact, It is the situation which exists even strongly at the lower economic sections of the society? Do you think auto drivers greet each other saying 'brother' or something? Sorry, bro.
I think the key point is context. If you are talking with your mates, then using terms like sister****er/mother****er would be considered as no big deal. The moment you get into a confrontation with someone though, and they used those terms, I would dare say a SC person would react much more negatively than a Western person. In my experience, any insult involving the female members of your family are likely to result in a fist fight when a SC person is involved. An American, OTOH, may shrug that same insult off (or at least won’t be as highly provoked).

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Wish I could have that effect on ladies more often - I shall ask benchy for his advice on this one
And on that note... it doesn't seem like people are really up for debating without throwing insults or snarky remarks about at the moment... this is despite multiple moderator warnings, as well infractions being handed out. I'm closing the thread for a bit while everyone calms down.

Status
Not open for further replies.