• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If ODIs had never existed....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
...would Australia have dominated international T20 in the same way they have dominated ODI cricket since its inception?

Unquestionably yes, I would submit.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No way to tell tbh.

T20's are more about chance than ODI's though and tougher to dominate in the same way, so no would be the default response.

TNT

Banned
I dont htink Australia have dominated ODI since inception. WI did for a while and SA have been super strong apart from finals.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If ODI's had never existed then surely T20's wouldn't have either?

T20's just need one batsman to come off for a short period and win the game. 50 over matches and world cups generally see the best side coming out on top which Australia have been on many occasions.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dont htink Australia have dominated ODI since inception. WI did for a while and SA have been super strong apart from finals.
SA have been super strong except for winning stuff. Tbh I'm a great batsman until I get out for 0.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
SA have been super strong except for winning stuff. Tbh I'm a great batsman until I get out for 0.
Tbf, they have more like choked on the 90's when getting a hundred mean winning the competition.

Less chance for them to do that in T20's one would imagine. Though, they might have found a way there too.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
No. I think lucky and streaky patches of form make too much difference in T20 for anyone to dominate. Symonds did look like he would have been the ultimate T20 player if it had come along 10 years earlier, though.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Got to go with no. As everyone's said, T20s are much more unpredictable - having 1 Malinga or 1 Chris Gayle can win a match.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes, but let's say T20s had been played since the 1960s. That way, the likes of Ponting etc... would have grown up with it and have a truer understanding and appreciation of that form of the game. As Ponting is pretty much the greatest ODI batsman of his time, I suspect he and Australia would have dominated.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the Irish, Kenya and Dutch would be playing test cricket now as they'd have won a few 20:20s against decent opposition years ago and that (pre-Bangladesh) would have been ample to give them Test status.

So, I'd expect - given the Dutch connection to South Africa - that we'd see a very successful Dutch test team with a South African expat flavour. Tendo could have been the Sobers at #1 in the top 50 for my money.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I certainly think there's more random chance involved in T20s than the longer formats. I think that explains why the lesser nations like India and England have done well at it. The short format lends itself to the attention spans of the supporters from those nations, too. I know it's unkind to generalise, but it strikes me as true.

smash84

The Tiger King
I certainly think there's more random chance involved in T20s than the longer formats. I think that explains why the lesser nations like India and England have done well at it. The short format lends itself to the attention spans of the supporters from those nations, too. I know it's unkind to generalise, but it strikes me as true.
?

smash84

The Tiger King
actually Pakistan are not historically rubbish at test cricket

Did whitewash Lillee and Co in 1982 :p.....

Other than that only one of 3 teams whose overall W/L ratio is over 1

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They've made the grand finals for 6 out of 11 World Cups, and won four of them, including two unbeaten. They've been pretty dominant.

smash84

The Tiger King
Australia weren't really dominant until the late 90s till about 2009

From the late 70s to early 90s the WI ruled the roost in ODIs