• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 01

Satguru

Banned
And besides, how do we know that it's hasn't happened to Sobers to a slightly lesser extent, i.e. a dozen people deliberately under-valuing him because they have a penchant for arguing for Imran or Kallis against him?
Obviously people havent done that... only two people dont have Sobers in their list. And if they do have him in the list, i dont have a problem with anyone ranking Imran or Kallis higher... its their opinion... i myself ranked sobers 3 and imran 2

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What happens to the rankings when you don't count the joke votes, something as obvious as Cindy Crawford on top?
I'm willing to go through and do this if someone wants to give me the password for the email, but it'd probably just make it more confusing and devalue it even further. There'd be debates over what constituted a serious list as well; I'm sure there's probably someone out there who seriously doesn't rate Bradman in their top 25. I know we'd be able to turf Phlegm's list though, unless he was taking the piss. :p

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think Bradman's average rank of 2.5 is also surprising. I'd have expected that to be not under 1.5. Smali, if it's not much effort, could you post a list of who all received a vote at #1 and how many?

This was my full list btw:

Code:
1	Donald Bradman
2	Garfield Sobers
3	Imran Khan
4	Muttiah Muralitharan
5	Richard Hadlee
6	WG Grace
7	Vivian Richards
8	Sachin Tendulkar
9	Malcolm Marshall
10	Sydney Barnes
11	Jack Hobbs
12	Keith Miller
13	Jacques Kallis
14	Curtly Ambrose
15	Glenn McGrath
16	Shane Warne
17	Ian Botham
18	Greame Pollock
19	Brian Lara
20	Wally Hammond
21	Fred Trueman
22	Greg Chappell
23	George Headley
24	Kapil Dev
25	Leonard Hutton

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
Thanks for running the list Smali and NUFAN, I did not submit a list but it was fun following it.:)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah agree. It's not the end of the world.

And besides, how do we know that it's hasn't happened to Sobers to a slightly lesser extent, i.e. a dozen people deliberately under-valuing him because they have a penchant for arguing for Imran or Kallis against him?

By and large, this is still a pretty good list, and I had fun following it. Well done to smalishah and NUFAN.
AWTA.

Said this in the other thread, Well run Smali and Nufan. Great Job!!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but this isn't a random sample of votes. we know cw doesn't actually think this.
How do we know that though?

57 people voted in this including say someone like Jaideep, about whom except the fact that he rates Lara at 1 we don't know that much.

Or Maybe someone other just voted for players he saw, because of his limited knowledge due to just starting following cricket now ? All kinds of factors play out in drawing a popular subjective list.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone should keep their knickers untwisted. We have already established that CW isn't Wisden. The results of this poll are truly reflective of CW in that they are the product of a lot of genuine knowledge of the game and its history and a lot of different perspectives, while also reflecting a degree of mischief making which is an essential part of CW.

I repeat: CW isn't Wisden. Now, without detracting from the efforts of smiley in particular, this is not an award which anyone outside this forum will give a rat's arse about; and if we all really know that CW ranks Bradman highest, as is being suggested, then what possible harm is done?

For my part, I voted for Bradman second and WG Grace top but partly to balance the under-representation I knew WG would get.

Many thanks to smiley and nufan for running it.

Himannv

International Coach
Great job running this Nufan and smalishah. Excellent stuff.

I voted for Bradman as number 1 but I'm rather glad to see a difference in the rankings from what is usually expected. I like a bit of novelty when it comes to ranking players and this is certainly a good way to go.

Sobers was an amazing player and I'm happy to see him do well in something like this.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Well done Smali and Nufan. Excellent job guys and it will be tough to follow.

I bet I can tell you who voted for Sobers as no. 1 and didn't include Bradman.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if Bradman was going to be doomed by shenanigans, I can't think of someone besides Sobers I'd rather take his place.
+1
If it were to be anyone, might as well have been Sobers. I imagine the persons who didn't vote for Bradman had strategic intentions, but it wasn't to help Sobers, probably more Sachin or Imran.
But enough of that, great job Nufan and Smali.
What is the final XI of the list?
2 openers, 3 middle order, 2 all rounders (batting and bowling), keeper, 2 fast bowlers and one spinner.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if Bradman was going to be doomed by shenanigans, I can't think of someone besides Sobers I'd rather take his place.
Yeah this.

I would have a big whinge if it was Imran or Sachin or some **** taking his place. But Sobers...well he can also bowl, despite only being half the batsman.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A great player and captain no doubt, and I had no problem with his top three rating. But like Warne has a few negatives attached to his name, some he may have had no control over and he may have been totally innocent of all, but they all existed. That being said he may have meant more to his country and to it's success than any other player and he deserves his spot at number 3.

Please no attacks. :)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why? Is Imran so unworthy of the title, assuming Bradman has been struck out by 'dishonest voting'?
To a degree....Imran was like a third of the batsman that Bradman was, although he was a world-class bowler and a great captain....

Hmm...maybe I am backtracking slightly...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Now that this is over I would like to give a special word of thanks to NUFAN who worked on collating all the list.

Thank You so much NUFAN. Really appreciate your help mate :)
No worries it was fun to help, thanks for running this mate, you did an awesome job. Small can you advise as all how many people actually had the great Sobers at number 1? I know the amount was very low..

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Sobers being number 1 is unfair at all.

Yes, Bradman is, was and is likely to ever shall be the greatest batsman. However, Sobers batting is hardly poor and compares very well to everyone bar Bradman. His bowling in particular sets him apart from Bradman. As the question is greatest cricketer, not greatest batsman, I don't think Sobers is far off.

As I already said, I'd have put Marshall at number 1 myself. I would have considered overall contribution to the game, and Marshall's off-field role in young player development, coupled with him being (to me) the number 1 bowler, his underrated batting, the entertainment factor et. al.

For those who deliberately went out of their way to not include Bradman - well, I'm sad you decided to waste Smiley & NUFAN's time.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I was actually thinking that if I were to vote over I would have Marshall at two above Sobers, because I believe that Marshall was an all time match winner, the ultimate team man and the yount development bit as well. Also think batsmen get too much attention anyway.

But also agree that persons who voted stragegically and with agendas did waste everyone's time.