• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 41 - 50

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nine people picked Sehwag in their top 25s eh? I don't care nearly as much as many here about his inequitable home/away run-scoring split, and I still wouldn't have him anywhere near my top 50. I suppose that's balanced out by the fact that I couldn't give two hoots about his strike rate either.

Jardine.. well I promised myself I wouldn't whinge and moan about stuff like this if I sent in a list this year (I didn't participate last time and hence didn't really post much about it - I did however notice how petty some people looked moaning and carrying on..) but while I don't think his inclusion in the top 50 is particularly alarming in itself, the fact that someone put him #1 (again) does tend to hint towards intellectual dishonestly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Vic I agree. It's personally one of the reasons why I rate Lara above Waugh, but I have other reasons too. I will mention it when/if Lara makes the list.

Prince, all I can say is that best or greatest is subjective. The good thing is even if that person who did pick Jardine as number 1 didn't vote, Jardine would have still made the top 50, so he obviously has some (5) fans.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Prince, all I can say is that best or greatest is subjective.
Yeah, I get that. If someone on here (zaremba last time I think?) really does think Jardine is the greatest cricketer of all time then voting him #1 is perfectly fine. And I don't want to be "that guy" and harp on about it, but I just can't help but doubt that's what happened, and feel it's more likely that Jardine is merely his favourite cricketer and he'd see more joy out of him featuring in the top 50 than anyone else. I mean I could've voted for Sinclair, Anderson, the Bannerman brothers, Watson, Gripper, Forrest, Corey Richards and James Franklin if I felt like it, and I like all those cricketers more than at least 20 of the ****s on my list, but instead I voted for those who were obviously greater as cricketers because that's what the exercise was.

The good thing is even if that person who did pick Jardine as number 1 didn't vote, Jardine would have still made the top 50, so he obviously has some (5) fans.
Yeah, I don't have any problems with his place in the top 50 as such.

Jager

International Debutant
It also depends on how you classify great. I went for their influence personally, hence Richie and Lloyd having such high ranks. Jardine changed the game forever!

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah.....some surprising results here.....with Douglas Jardine finishing earlier.......I thought Miandad usually gets a poor bargain but at least this time he made it in the top 50......it would be interesting to compare our list with ESPN's all time list.....it certainly is different i feel...

also I reckon a lot of people rate Sehwag since so many of them voted for him and his highest position is only 14.

Also I do agree that I would rate Miandad ahead of Sehwag on a one to one comparison but I do think that there are many Ian Chappells out there where he will be far far ahead of less attacking batsmen

smash84

The Tiger King
Interesting start - 7/10 new entries. I'm having a look through the last list to see who I reckon won't have made it this time around.

No real complaints about any of these blokes from me - a couple of them are in my own top 50, most are in my top 100, and none of them were in my 25.

Is it wrong that I want 40-31 to follow straight away? :p
None were in my top 25 either.

Good to see Richie breaking in though....really love that guy and definitely his post playing days work has over shadowed his cricket I feel

It is good to see you would like to see the next 10 revealed soon :)

Some interesting names coming up in the next 10....wash out :p

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
also perhaps i under-rate his playing career, but Richie Benaud ending up on the list surprised me. You don't really hear much about his playing career on here

smash84

The Tiger King
This is what happens when you complain about Jardine getting votes.

Interesting start. Add in a keeper and there's a fine side -

Richards
Sehwag
Jardine
Miandad
Lloyd
Rhodes
Procter
Benaud
(Keeper)
Walsh
Donald
Miandad could keep pretty decently so you can have him as keeper and have a pretty good XI

Smali - Use some bold font in places :)
The main thing missing are the smileys tbh

DingDong

State Captain
also perhaps i under-rate his playing career, but Richie Benaud ending up on the list surprised me. You don't really hear much about his playing career on here
yup it's a bit of a joke.no way is he one of the top 50 cricketers of all time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
240 wickets @ 27, 2200 runs @ 24.

Has claims of being the best spinning all-rounder of all time.

Didn't include him in my list, probably should have. #brotherhood #spintowin

smash84

The Tiger King
:blink::blink::blink:

This sounds a bit of a joke

Pretty awesome leggie and a very handy batsman

The best spin all rounder and one of the best captains of all time.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Can only assume Hadlee hasn't made it, if Benuad is this low. There's no way Hadlee was a better cricket than Benaud.
I know you're being somewhat superfluous to make a point, but I get a sense you really under-rate Hadlee. For my money, he's the 2nd greatest pacer of all time and a serviceable batsman. As such, I have him in my top 10 greatest cricketers of all-time and comfortably ahead of Benaud. Come on Burgey, stop the Hadlee hatin'! :)

DingDong

State Captain
I know you're being somewhat superfluous to make a point, but I get a sense you really under-rate Hadlee. For my money, he's the 2nd greatest pacer of all time and a serviceable batsman. As such, I have him in my top 10 greatest cricketers of all-time and comfortably ahead of Benaud. Come on Burgey, stop the Hadlee hatin'! :)
yeah burgey stop being such a hater :ph34r: