• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrats to Philander

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As good as he has been; I think there have been other bowlers who have done as well over 13 innings.

Satguru

Banned
As good as he has been; I think there have been other bowlers who have done as well over 13 innings.
Comparable averages maybe... but in terms of number of wickets? i doubt it... I do remember Imran averaging somewhat ridiculous like 13-14 a couple of years

EDIT:
Just checked... Imran took 88 wickets @14 in 13 matches in 1982 and 83
Itll be interesting to see how long Philander maintains his ridiculous record.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
any names come to mind
Hadlee must have had some fairly astonishing 13-innings patches. Especially given the lack of wickets at the other end. Not his first 13 innings in test cricket, though.

Maybe Waqar at the peak of his powers.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He's supposed to be a greenhorn; his record so far is the stuff of legend. I hope he takes 187 wickets in 20 Tests, and then calls it a day.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH I am kind of guessing. But I think Imran, Marshall and Hadlee all in the 80s had periods of incredible stats like Philander's. I cbf checking at the moment though haha.
you were supposed to say McGrath and/or Warne :( :( :(

Ftr Grimmett and Barnes to end their careers are guesses I'm pretty confident in

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Astonishing achievement, especially considering who's in the SA attack with him. Fair play to the boy.

Joy to watch too; his control of line and length are impeccable, but it's the way he presents and hits the seam so often that's truly remarkable.
I think thats helped him (re: the SA attack). Bowling alongside Steyn must give you a ton of confidence, and he's surrounded by guys in the back like Donald who probably help also. He's been picked at the height of his powers it seems.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Small sample, but just for interest:

Steyn before Philander: avg. 23.21, sr. 39.9
Steyn after Philander: avg. 22.55, sr. 45.0

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Richard (the poster) would be happy, he did once say he would like Steyn to bowl more economically and focus less on taking wickets every six overs - for some reason that was a problem and a slight on Steyn...

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Maybe Steyn's spectacular record has something to do with the fact that there's not been anyone good enough at the other end to challenge his tally. A fading Ntini, a Morkel who hasn't exactly set the world on fire yet..pickings will be sparser from here on out for sure.

Spark

Global Moderator
Small sample, but just for interest:

Steyn before Philander: avg. 23.21, sr. 39.9
Steyn after Philander: avg. 22.55, sr. 45.0
Yeah he's been absolutely fine... he just hasn't been "this guy is downright unfair"

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
While we are at it, Clarrie Grimmett took 52 wickets @ 15.56 in his last 6 tests.

And he was dropped from the test team for ever after that by someone named Donald Bradman...and in the next few years he had his best run in FC cricket, and was by far the best Aussie bowler in that time, according to everyone (except Bradman, of course)...