Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which batsmen today or in 1990's you would expect to play the 1980's bowling easily?

State Vice-Captain
    i think that *may* have been in response to the poster immediately above him

Not necessarily, it's a classic PEWSism and very relevant to the OP.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Not so sure about that, during his first incarnation when the great Windies quicks were still good but a fading force, he struggled mightily and was promptly moved down the order because of this. Have always thought that more bowlers like that during his golden period in the early noughties might have sorted him out. He's a great but goes hard early and has had technical issues but for a long time there seemed to be a dearth of great bowlers allied with a plethora of flat tracks.

Kallis and Tendulkar would be technically equipped to deal with them pretty well you'd think.
    Tendulkar never faced the WI in his first 5 years of test cricket and when he did in 1994 the bowlers were Walsh, Cuffy and Benjiman in India. The first test Tendulkar faced Ambrose was in 1997 in the twighlght of ambroses career.

Ponting was younger than Tendulkar when he first faced the WI.
    If you nick it walk

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBall View Post
    I'm wondering, whether who among today would have played Marshall/Lillee/Imran Khan at their prime with ease?
    Tendulkar, Inzamam, De Silva, Steve Waugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Which bowlers of the 1962-1974 period would you expect to be good wicket keepers on the uncovered English wickets of the pre-Test era in the mid 1800s?
    Alan Davidson is definitely one

Sobers would do well too IMO
    Last edited by weldone; 31-01-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Tendulkar never faced the WI in his first 5 years of test cricket and when he did in 1994 the bowlers were Walsh, Cuffy and Benjiman in India. The first test Tendulkar faced Ambrose was in 1997 in the twighlght of ambroses career.

Ponting was younger than Tendulkar when he first faced the WI.
    It's true, but Tendulkar's technique seems sound enough to counter most.

Punter was young when he first faced the Windies bowlers but equally they were certainly past their peak. Most critics actually say the peak of their greatest bowlers was the 1978-84 period. After that they unearthed some good quicks but had never bowled so fiercely again with such a quartet, sometimes a quintet. And to make matters worse, umpires were very lax on the short ball and over-rates were slow and not enforced during that period.

Just finished reading a book which suggested that reverse swing was certainly around in the early 70s, though obviously the great Pakistani bowlers perfected it later.

Just finished reading a book which suggested that reverse swing was certainly around in the early 70s, though obviously the great Pakistani bowlers perfected it later.
    What was the book if I may ask? Always interested in cricket books

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    What was the book if I may ask? Always interested in cricket books

Fierce Focus (Greg Chappell). The chapters on his experiences in India were eye-opening.

Thanks buddy...will check it out..

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Comfortably the best? Won't argue that he's the best as I reckon he probably is the best player of pace bowling I've seen, but just not sure he's comfortably better than Sachin or Lara against pace. I know I'm being pedantic but hey.

In response to the question, no batsman of the last 20 years would face Marshall and Lillee and play them "easily". Some will succeed, but they won't play them easily.
    I think it's a shame that the likes of Waqar, Ambrose, Donald et al retired for the period where Ponting was in his absolute peak. Because even when he was green he played them exceptionally well. There would have been fantastic battles. Lara definitely had trouble against the best pace bowlers of his time, Tendulkar was a bit of a mixed bag; but I hold Ponting above them. They had him on spin though.

I just think he made the margins for fast bowlers so small. Depending on the length he'd get forward and drive you or quickly get on the back foot and pull you. He made it look ridiculously easy and simple. From what I remember from FC cricket he even made McGrath his bitch.

Punter was young when he first faced the Windies bowlers but equally they were certainly past their peak.
    No, I am fairly sure he played them when they were at their peak or still very very good. Averaged 40. Was also very good against the other two great pace sides in Pak and SA.
    Last edited by Ikki; 31-01-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

For pace-play, I'd keep Tendullkar>Ponting=Dravid=Waugh=Kallis>Lara. However, Ponting 'at his best' was better against pace than Tendulkar 'at his best'.

Against spin, Lara>Tendulkar>>Waugh=Dravid=Kallis>Ponting IMO..
    Last edited by weldone; 31-01-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I think it's a shame that the likes of Waqar, Ambrose, Donald et al retired for the period where Ponting was in his absolute peak. Because even when he was green he played them exceptionally well. There would have been fantastic battles. Lara definitely had trouble against the best pace bowlers of his time, Tendulkar was a bit of a mixed bag; but I hold Ponting above them. They had him on spin though.

I just think he made the margins for fast bowlers so small. Depending on the length he'd get forward and drive you or quickly get on the back foot and pull you. He made it look ridiculously easy and simple. From what I remember from FC cricket he even made McGrath his bitch.

No, I am fairly sure he played them when they were at their peak or still very very good. Averaged 40. Was also very good against the other two great pace sides in Pak and SA.
    Ponting was top batsman against the short ball but vulnerable to inswing at a high pace.

Even in the recent series, he smashed Ishant and Zaheer but looked shaky against Yadav.

Who can forget tha big inswinger with which Yadav sent Punter's off stump cartwheeling at Perth?

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBall View Post
    Ponting was top batsman against the short ball but vulnerable to inswing at a high pace.

Even in the recent series, he smashed Ishant and Zaheer but looked shaky against Yadav.

Who can forget tha big inswinger with which Yadav sent Punter's off stump cartwheeling at Perth?
    Which batsman isnt vulnerable to inswing at high pace, Donald, Anderson and Pollock were all over Tendulkar. Dravid is vulnerable to the straight ball hitting any stump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post

He debuted in the mid-90s. That attack was nowhere near the quality that this thread title was posing.

Not so sure about that, during his first incarnation when the great Windies quicks were still good but a fading force, he struggled mightily and was promptly moved down the order because of this. Have always thought that more bowlers like that during his golden period in the early noughties might have sorted him out. He's a great but goes hard early and has had technical issues but for a long time there seemed to be a dearth of great bowlers allied with a plethora of flat tracks.

Kallis and Tendulkar would be technically equipped to deal with them pretty well you'd think.
    Did well enough in 1996 and 1999 vs West Indies, first series only got two Tests but made a fine 88 in the first one at the Gabba, and then averaged 50 in "Lara's series".

I tell you who else used to fall a tad across their stumps and work the ball through wide mid-on from off, was Greg Chappell. And he did alright against those attacks, from memory. :

In fact, Ponting technically looks more like the batsmen from yesteryear than your Kallis' and others.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information