• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How difficult it is to play quality spin

HeavyBall

Cricket Spectator
I know many batsmen who have THRASHED pacers operating at 95 mph, but looked like school boys against tweakers!

Kevin Pietersen has one of the best pull shots and is a top player of pace, but has no idea against decent spin.

Viv Richards smashed Lillee, Thompson, Bob Willis, Botham and Imran Khan. But at the same time he looked ordinary against Bedi, Prasanna and Qadir....

What is so special about spin, that even some legends fail against it?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Ramiz did say that someone like Cook wasn't a natural player of spin and yet he has scored plenty against spinners. So I guess you have to work hard at your game and grind it out on a pitch like the one in Abu Dhabi. But still it's really tough. Just like it's tough against a quick in overcast conditions.

thierry henry

International Coach
Bizarre thread given pace bowling is so obviously more effective than spin bowling over all. Then again, obvious troll is obvious and all that.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think you should change your username to 'Captain Obvious'.

Unless you're talking about political spin, in which case...that's deep.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
As England showed its tougher and with doosra being bowled its even tougher ..

I guess as more and more bowlers come to the international level with the ability to bowl doosra the over all stats will change over period of time and spin bowling will be just as lethal as fast bowling..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Playing quality spin is easy, so long as you weren't born in England or South Africa.
But South Africa has not lost a test series in Pak or India for years. Amla averages 102 in India, Kallis 90 against Pakistan in away test matches and the last time a South Africa played in Abu Dhabi, AB de Villiers scored 278*, the highest score ever by a South African. So yesterday's Pak attack must not be quality and Kumble and Bhaji in pomp were not that either.

Heboric

International Debutant
But South Africa has not lost a test series in Pak or India for years. Amla averages 102 in India, Kallis 90 against Pakistan in away test matches and the last time a South Africa played in Abu Dhabi, AB de Villiers scored 278*, the highest score ever by a South African. So yesterday's Pak attack must not be quality and Kumble and Bhaji in pomp were not that either.
I agree, Proteas have a decent record in the sub continent.

I know when we first came back we werent so great but improved drastically since

Shri

Mr. Glass
Playing spin is definitely easier. You need the same attributes as a batsman when you play any form of bowling but you can get away with having slower reflexes when playing spin as long as your other attributes as a batsman are good.