Page 6 of 273 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Odds on Abdv making a real quick 100 on this tour?

Can't wait to see Philander bowl again
    Warming up pretty nicely it seems. Career best taken on the weekend.

Boucher also scored a 100 in the same game. Bouch's first FC 100 in years.

Real shame Zim are getting the best of the "weather". Time RSA tour the rugby season would have started as well and interest in the games in NZ and RSA will drop. Should have toured before Zim if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    What with the Zimbabwe series and ODIs first, we might get a nice bit of confident momentum happening for the Test series. Just checked, and we've only played South Africa 6 times in ODIs in the past 5 years, winning 3 and losing 3. On paper SA's side is stronger, easily, but we've shown we can steal matches out from under them, and while ODI performance shouldn't have too much weight on Test performance, I think if we can get a ODI series win, a Test win and a tied series will be on the cards. I'll go same as Bahnz; 1-1.
    You may be underselling yourself with that kind of prior in ODIs, no? Perhaps we've been stealing them from you guys.....

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    You may be underselling yourself with that kind of prior in ODIs, no? Perhaps we've been stealing them from you guys.....
    Well 2 losses and 1 win came from a series vs. SA while the other two wins came as one offs, in the Champions Trophy and the World Cup. I think in a series setup we'll play differently to a sudden death game.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Well 2 losses and 1 win came from a series vs. SA while the other two wins came as one offs, in the Champions Trophy and the World Cup. I think in a series setup we'll play differently to a sudden death game.
    The test series gains additional importance now that England are about to be whitewashed and SA has a chance to go up to No 1 in the test rankings if they whitewash NZ. But I don't think SA would be able to on NZ's own soil.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    The test series gains additional importance now that England are about to be whitewashed and SA has a chance to go up to No 1 in the test rankings if they whitewash NZ. But I don't think SA would be able to on NZ's own soil.
    I didn't quite realise that, so it may give SA some resolve. I think it will come down to how many NZ players are injured. It will also probably depend on how the newer SA players fare in our conditions. SA last toured in 2004 (ffs) and there are few who toured then, and a few who didn't play NZ when they last toured SA. NZ's side is also quite different, but they all obviously have home experience.

So yeah, with the rankings thing and all, this should be a gun series.

Unfortunately weather may also have a role to play. Three Tests in mid to late March could be iffy.

International 12th Man
    England Tests in 08 were sweet in March, same India 09, same Australia 10 and whilst we weren't in the country in 11, I remember it being pretty decent as well. I wouldn't worry too much about weather, especially if we've got all the crap out the way.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Yeah. March has been much better for cricket in recent years than Nov/Dec. There was even talk in the last 12 months of shifting the club cricket season a month later to run from mid-November through to late April. There's been a discernable shift in the season over the last 10 years or so. And it's not as if the weather's been at all flash since Christmas. Zimbabwe have been bloody lucky (or unlucky considering the results?) to get in as much cricket as they have.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Brownlie may be out for the tests (possibility of missing the 1st test at this stage). Cant believe there is now a serious debate between Ryder and Nicol for the number 5 spot.

They must really be fed up with Ryder...
    Last edited by Hurricane; 10-02-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

You do know you're not allowed a runner in International Cricket any more. That makes Ryder a big risk at the moment.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    He's only broken down in one test hasn't he.

Injured many times - but unable to run during an inning = one test?

More related to his recent track record and there's been at least two Domestic matches this season where he's broken down during the match and thus is unable to bat. Including a 20:20 where he broke down fielding a ball with no particular difficulty associated with it within 2 overs of the start of the match. Imagine if that happened in a Test. You'd be playing with 10 men with the bat for 5 days.

Dude, Ryder has been dropped. The only way he is getting back into the team is if he gets fitter.

I'd rather go with someone like Neil Broom, but that's probably not going to happen. Would probably end up going with either Sam Wells or Kruger van Wyk.

Colin de Grandhomme, of course. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Colin de Grandhomme, of course. Duh.
    Only if he performs well enough in the T20Is to warrant selection for the ODIs. Then performs well enough in the ODIs to warrant selection for the Tests.

So yes.

TH to confirm.

Page 6 of 273 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information