• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland unveil Test cricket vision

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep. I still think they should go on tour, but they should play A teams and such when they do, or other teams at their level of course. Certainly have no problem with Zimbabwe playing Bangladesh in Zimbabwe for example.
Yes.

Home Test status is all about having smaller steps instead of one humongous one. It allows future Test nations to build momentum not just in terms of the players but in terms of fan following, finances (including things like sponsorship) and infrastructure. Ireland are fortunate in that they have great backing from their government and have access to county cricket, so they can build up anyway.

The lighter scheduling also allows for the players to work properly on their technique and experience other conditions in a more suitable environment. They can also go play in the odd money-spinning T20 domestic tournament.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
At least they are showing amibition and setting out the targets. It's a big one but they need to aim high. I'm not sure how much it is something I want to see though, I don't think test status needs another whipping boy. The ICC need a gradual programme to introduce new sides to test status, a lesson that should have been learned already.

Regarding a FC structure though, I think it would need ot be on the basis of a European League, couldn't see Ireland being big enough to support it on it's own. Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands in a Magners style league is a good idea and could help all three countries develop. Can't recall the poster who floated this idea but I doff my cap to you.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. A Magners style league would be appealling to any other European nation trying to get off the ground - a Denmark or Italy, maybe.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At least they are showing amibition and setting out the targets. It's a big one but they need to aim high. I'm not sure how much it is something I want to see though, I don't think test status needs another whipping boy. The ICC need a gradual programme to introduce new sides to test status, a lesson that should have been learned already.

Regarding a FC structure though, I think it would need ot be on the basis of a European League, couldn't see Ireland being big enough to support it on it's own. Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands in a Magners style league is a good idea and could help all three countries develop. Can't recall the poster who floated this idea but I doff my cap to you.
If Ireland wanted their own system then it would be pretty easy to have a 4-team competition based on the 4 provinces.

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Ireland wanted their own system then it would be pretty easy to have a 4-team competition based on the 4 provinces.
It's possible, the current unions within the island of Ireland could have a system. It would be expensive to run though, making the financial viability doubtful (Cricket Ireland wouldn't have an where near the resources of rugby, football or even GAA) and the competitiveness of it would be questionable I would have thought? I don't follow rugby but the European league they have seems to work and it could also for cricket imo.

But Cricket Ireland will no doubt do the sums and if they can go alone I dare say they will.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
I think that is Ireland's plan, to have 5/6 teams in the FC structure, NZ/Aus have about the same amount right?...

sparkey

Cricket Spectator
I've thought for a while now that we should have a division two style set up playing 3 or 4 day tests Zimbabwe Bangladesh Ireland Canada Kenya and the Netherlands.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Both Bangladesh and Sri Lanka seem to be following in Zimbabwe's footsteps in using T20 to create provincial franchise teams and distancing themselves from a billion weak club teams. Hopefully they'll go the full monty like Zimbabwe eventually did and play first class and list A cricket between the provincial teams.

Australia on the other hand has used T20 to create more first class teams. Australia WAC

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yep. NZ and Aus both have 6. I think Zimbabwe does too. Would they have an Ulster/Northern Irish team I wonder?
If they go it alone, without doubt, IMHO.

Often ignored fact that three of Ulster's nine counties are actually in the Republic.

Connacht to be ****
Indeed. As Ireland really struggles to produce four competitive provinces for union, which I imagine has a rather bigger following than cricket, it's a fair guess the same would apply doubly so for cricket.

Something like:

Leinster
Ulster
Scotland
Netherlands
Denmark
Italy/Jersey/Munster

Seems about right. The biggest concentrations of cricket clubs in Ireland seem to be around Dublin and Belfast, which would put Munster third in terms of provincial strength.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If they go it alone, without doubt, IMHO.

Often ignored fact that three of Ulster's nine counties are actually in the Republic.

Indeed. As Ireland really struggles to produce four competitive provinces for union, which I imagine has a rather bigger following than cricket, it's a fair guess the same would apply doubly so for cricket.

Something like:

Leinster
Ulster
Scotland
Netherlands
Denmark
Italy/Jersey/Munster

Seems about right. The biggest concentrations of cricket clubs in Ireland seem to be around Dublin and Belfast, which would put Munster third in terms of provincial strength.
Funnily enough they actually have a proper inter-provincial tournament at youth level even though they don't have a senior version currently. The teams in it are:

North West
Leinster
Northern Cricket Union
Munster

So I'd be guessing a senior FC comp would be similar.

I've heard of the Leinster League and the Ulster Cup so I know those have recognised club set-ups in those places. No idea about anywhere else tbh.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Funnily enough they actually have a proper inter-provincial tournament at youth level even though they don't have a senior version currently. The teams in it are:

North West
Leinster
Northern Cricket Union
Munster

So I'd be guessing a senior FC comp would be similar.

I've heard of the Leinster League and the Ulster Cup so I know those have recognised club set-ups in those places. No idea about anywhere else tbh.
You didn't hear it from me, but Ireland are near to confirming that South Africa 'A' will be over for a full series, 2x4-day games, 3 ODI's and 3 T20i's, you can thank our auld coach Adi who stills has contacts in South Africa and does a lot behind the scenes for Ireland, him and big Phil - Legends!...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon the biggest challenge for Ireland's first class league ambitions will be securing resources to keep players on playing for the 8-12 weeks necessary to make a viable league work. Can't imagine amateur, or semipro players and students getting that much time off school, or work to meaningfully participate. I believe That's what killed Kenya's elite leagues.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
How does test status get officially confirmed? Is it just a simple vote at ICC level? What makes Zimbabwe eligible but not Ireland?