• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar better than Don Bradman, new study shows

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Cookies must be enabled | The Australian

:huh:

Why are they giving fodder to Tendulkar fanatics?

"Essentially each player is scored according to their career aggregate runs, minus the total number of runs that an average player of that era would accrue over the same number of innings.
The diminutive right-handers are ranked very tightly together at the top with scores of just over 4000, but are a couple of pitch lengths ahead of the rest of the batting pack, led by current South African player Jacques Kallis a further 1000 points in arrears.

Allan Border (seven) and Steve Waugh (nine) are the other Australian batsmen in Dr Rohde's historical top 10.

A relatively poor 2011 for former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting (11) cost him a top 10 spot.

It's not all bad news for The Don, however, in Dr Rohde's cricket laboratory.

The "live" nature of the table's calculation means Tendulkar could give up his place at the top if his run-scoring ways desert him.

Dr Rohde's said it was possible that the two players could, in fact, switch places many times before Tendulkar retires.

Top 10.

Sachin Tendulkar (IND)

Sir Donald Bradman (AUS)

Jacques Kallis (SA)

Rahul Dravid (IND)

Brian Lara (WI)

Sir Garfield Sobers (WI)

Allan Border (AUS)

Sunil Gavaskar (IND)

Steve Waugh (AUS)

Javed Miandad (PAK)

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
this is why smart people don't read the australian

:ph34r:

but seriously - economic theory applied to cricket? wtf?

Ruckus

International Captain
umm isn't that just skewed massively towards batsmen that have played **** loads of cricket?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meanwhile CricInfo still shows Don Bradman averages 99.94 over 80 innings.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this "study" forgets to divide the scores by number of innings. Tendulkar and Bradman are placed tightly together despite Tendulkar playing thrice as many innings!

By the way, how are these stories received by a casual cricket follower in Australia (not the maniac ones like us)?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Biggest load of rubbish ever - Tendulkar got pushed in when he was young, that's the only reason he has so many runs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gets a reaction, I guess. Probably why they give them the time of air pretty regularly, they'll get some publicity for their own paper.

Ruckus

International Captain
I like this theory better:

Let Bradman play the same amount of innings as Tendulkar has and then compare stats.

Bradman 30281 runs, with approx. 109 centuries, 45 being double centuries :laugh:

ganeshran

International Debutant
I like this theory better:

Let Bradman play the same amount of innings as Tendulkar has and then compare stats.

Bradman 30281 runs, with approx. 109 centuries, 45 being double centuries :laugh:
That is a direct extrapolation - it is not correct statistically since it doesnt take into account factors like slump in form etc.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I thought comparisons with Don should only be made after Sachin got past the made-up 100th ton milestone.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Reckon he would have had some dips in form, over a 20 year career...
I didnt post about what he already played, but rather predictions if he played n innings more. And it wasnt a point specifically about Bradman but rather any batsman.

If he played x innings and scored y runs, then saying that his score in z innings would (z*y)/x doesnt have statistical basis.

Ruckus

International Captain
That is a direct extrapolation - it is not correct statistically since it doesnt take into account factors like slump in form etc.
I was joking bro. It is essentially the opposite in nature to what Mr Economic Theory genius did though, and places too little significance on the amount of innings (as opposed to far too much). Actually reckon the stats are probably closer to the truth though than his silly rankings, but as always the best answer would lie somewhere in the ------> <------.