• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid lacked courage to revolt & Chappel being in Oz camp hardly matters: Ganguly

ganeshran

International Debutant
Thanks Sanz, seems more like potshots on Chapell.

The dravid comment was just one sentence and in a different context which was blown up by NDTV wanting to sensationalize the whole issue

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Please tell me the number of overseas test series that ganguly won as a captain excluding the minnows-hardly any.Dravid in his short tenure won away series vs engalnd,westindies,pakistan and india's first every test win in southafrica. Ganguly is way overrated as a captain and din't deserve to be in team for as long as he did.
Whether or not Sourav deserved to be in the team is a matter of opinion and we can certainly agree to disagree on that but Sourav's contribution as captain to Indian Cricket can not be rated on the basis of away wins/losses.

One has to understand how Indian Cricket operated, how players were selected before Sourav took over. One also has to understand the state of Indian Cricket when Sourav became captain.IMO the current success of Indian Cricket under Dhoni, would not have been possible without Sourav's contribution.

stuw

Cricket Spectator
Whether or not Sourav deserved to be in the team is a matter of opinion and we can certainly agree to disagree on that but Sourav's contribution as captain to Indian Cricket can not be rated on the basis of away wins/losses.

One has to understand how Indian Cricket operated, how players were selected before Sourav took over. One also has to understand the state of Indian Cricket when Sourav became captain.IMO the current success of Indian Cricket under Dhoni, would not have been possible without Sourav's contribution.
I agree that ganguly had great leadership skills and probably still is india's best captain ever.Was just pointing out that dravid is not half as bad a captain he is made out to be by some who say he is a bad captain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That Chappell's a shambles is hardly news; Ganguly still seems bitter about being (as he sees it) knifed between the shoulders by his own man.

Questionning Dravid's courage (if he's been translated correctly) seems unworthy tho. My guess is that Rahul would be the kind of leader who'd prefer to rule by consensus unlike his autocratic predecessor, but I struggle to see him as anybody's lapdog.

This also caught my eye:

"He was against Tendulkar, Laxman, Zaheer, Harbhajan and all of them have proved to be world class players. They are still performing for their country even now," Ganguly said.
Harbhajan? World class? Still performing?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
At the end of the day it comes down to 3 hard cold facts - Ganguly was a good captain, Dravid was a bad captain, and Chappell was a bad manager. It's more important to know whose leadership was better for the team than to know who was the bigger dick. That's what really matters in the end. And Ganguly wins in straight sets on that front.
It would have made sense if it was not the fact that he was just in POOR POOR form, was Sourav. No way was India gonna be able to carry him in that form. I seriously think that playing as just a batsman helped Sourav discover a lot of his batting form post 2006.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No point to Chappell's team talk - Ganguly

Firstly, lol at the SMH calling Ganguly an "Indian agitator".

Secondly, he's a big fan of Dinda. Not happy with how the Indian team have handled Ishant.

As the tourists deal with a serious ankle injury to Sharma, Ganguly has questioned why uncapped Bengal paceman Ashok Dinda was not included in the original touring party to Australia.
Dinda is tipped to be drafted into the squad as cover for Sharma, who remains in doubt for the Boxing Day Test and could yet return home.
''Dinda is India's best pace bowler right now and should have been on that plane to Australia in the first place with rest of the squad,'' Ganguly said.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun, you are mixing things. We are talking about leadership here. We are not judging the adaptability of different players. So, how much Ganguly bowled or how many times Dravid opened the innings is immaterial. As I have said before, the only thing tht metters here is that Ganguly was a good innovative captain, and a good leader of men. Dravid had zero qualities of a captain, and Chappell has always had zero man-management skills. End of.
We're now comparing captains, it seems. I don't agree at all that Ganguly was really that good a captain- but that's going elsewhere. This latest attempt at anti-Chappellway is rather unnecessary, as it was not just Chappell who was at fault. He made mistakes, and didn't feel guilty of it, but the fact that the BCCI went to war with Chappell instead of coming together upon a common strategy, and thus affected the cricket team's performance, is what should be criticised.

Chappell is far, far, far better a coach than the BCCI is a system, or its officials at what they're appointed to do. There are a few good things about Chappell, which most Indian media representatives and fans choose to ignore. There is nothing good about the BCCI, as has been noticed in the England tour and beyond.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Dinda is an average bowler in ODIs let alone test level. Dada is probably canvassing for him since he belongs to the same state.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, Dravid was the more successful captain between the two given similar resources if you ignore bashing up the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Puts into perspective the phrase about sour grapes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Regarding Dinda, can someone explain to me how he was not one of the 3 candidates to replace Praveen, wasn't really in the pool to replace Aaron, and now he's going to potentially replace Ishant?

Where did this come from?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, Dravid was the more successful captain between the two given similar resources if you ignore bashing up the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Puts into perspective the phrase about sour grapes.
Dravid's a better bloke and far better batsman than Ganguly, but its simplistic saying he was the better captain.

Ganguly had the balls to stand up and take control after the match fixing saga. He did a lot as captain for Indian cricket.

Dravid may have been forced out or been facing a lot of politics which prevented him from having a longer reign as captain, but nevertheless on what they were able to do as captain you can't say Dravid was more successful. He was able to build on what Ganguly had created.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
While Dravid might indeed have the better captaincy record than Ganguly, Ganguly's role in getting India out of the match-fixing days should not be understated.

Hit Wicket

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dravid's a better bloke and far better batsman than Ganguly, but its simplistic saying he was the better captain.

Ganguly had the balls to stand up and take control after the match fixing saga. He did a lot as captain for Indian cricket.

Dravid may have been forced out or been facing a lot of politics which prevented him from having a longer reign as captain, but nevertheless on what they were able to do as captain you can't say Dravid was more successful. He was able to build on what Ganguly had created.
I am not really too concerned about the "balls" part, but there is nothing to say that Dravid would not have been able to achieve what Ganguly did when he got the captaincy in 2000.

As far as I am concerned Dravid was one of the best on field captains I have ever seen - do you really think India would have won the Bombay test against Australia defending 105 if Ganguly was the captain?

Anyhow, these are all subjective discussions, but for Ganguly to come out and openly criticize a move which effected him directly is just uncalled for - he is not a neutral party in the discussion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No I agree he shouldn't have said what he said.

Not sure there is any evidence at all to show Dravid would have been able to do what Ganguly did. In fact, there is none.

India needed an arsehole at the helm.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
but does being an arsehole make him a great captain? he was aggressive and in-your-face but that was about it...both tactically and strategically he didn't do much during his captaincy to suggest that he was above average in that dept...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sourav was a pretty defensive on field captain, tbh... In fact, I would say Dravid has been our most attacking on field captain in the last 10 years.

Of course, I am not one of those who feels attacking automatically means a better captain, but Dravid as a captain was far more positive than he ever was, as a batsman.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyone who says Dravid was a better captain than ganguly didn't watch any cricket. Captaincy also involves man management. Indian cricket would not have gotten to #1 under dhoni without ganguly.