Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Golden Era for Fast Bowling?

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    He's got one or two to come back in off the seam which is all you really need. If he can work that consistently he'll be a menace.
    Yeah if he does what Steyn does it'll be great, but 1 or 2 on a seaming pitch hardly means anything.

Steyn doesn't, not on demand. That's the only hole in his resume.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Regular
    Steyn doesn't, not on demand. That's the only hole in his resume.
    Doesn't he get lots of lbws from the balls that seam in?

No, he gets his lbws from the ball that goes straight on usually. His lack of an inswinger/inducker that he can actually control was why he couldn't get Tendulkar out during his otherwise wonderspell. Pretty sure I've said this about twenty times already though.

No, he gets his lbws from the ball that goes straight on usually. His lack of an inswinger/inducker that he can actually control was why he couldn't get Tendulkar out during his otherwise wonderspell. Pretty sure I've said this about twenty times already though.
    I'm not sure if this is the wonderspell you are talking about, but technically he did get Tendulkar out

Dale Steyn 5_75 _ 1_43 v India_ 3rd Test 2010_11.flv - YouTube

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    When has Pattinson showed he can get it to move both ways? I've only seen out-swing/seam from him and they haven't been as big as Cummins was able to get in SA. Whereas Cummins HAS shown the ability to move it both ways, watch his spell against Prince.

Pattinson has less control than Cummins. He might be hitting better areas in his last 3 innings whereas Cummins has been more scattered, but that's because Cummins is that kind of aggressive bowler and he knows what hes trying (bouncers or yorkers). When Pattinson strays just a bit he becomes easy to play, not with Cummins.

But I agree with that Cummins has a more difficult action, but there is no doubt he is far more talented.
    At Brisbane on the first morning bowling to Ryder and Taylor he was getting the ball to regularly move into right hander and away from left hander. Granted he doesn't seem to be able to do it on demand or get it to move as appreciably as his away swinger, but he does have it.

I disagree re the control too. Cummins' direction is generally pretty good for a guy of his age, but every now and then (especially later in spells when he's a little tired) he seems to totally lose his **** and produce the odd full toss/very wide delivery..witness his spell at J'burg before lunch on whatever day it was in the second innings. It doesn't seem to happen regularly enough to be a huge pressure-killer and I'm confident that as he gets fitter and refines his action he'll eradicate it, but he just generally doesn't seem as polished and consistent as Pattinson just yet.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Liar. you have probably said it more
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    At Brisbane on the first morning bowling to Ryder and Taylor he was getting the ball to regularly move into right hander and away from left hander. Granted he doesn't seem to be able to do it on demand or get it to move as appreciably as his away swinger, but he does have it.

I disagree re the control too. Cummins' direction is generally pretty good for a guy of his age, but every now and then (especially later in spells when he's a little tired) he seems to totally lose his **** and produce the odd full toss/very wide delivery..witness his spell at J'burg before lunch on whatever day it was in the second innings. It doesn't seem to happen regularly enough to be a huge pressure-killer and I'm confident that as he gets fitter and refines his action he'll eradicate it, but he just generally doesn't seem as polished and consistent as Pattinson just yet.
    Yeah ok I understand those balls that happen on rare occasions, but that's like saying Siddle moves the ball both ways because of what he was doing at Hobart. The difference is doing it on demand, which is what Cummins can do.

Agree on the second paragraph, Cummins is still young and obviously can't sustain the effort, but you have to remember he was bowling on a less bowler friendly pitch in SA and ABdV and Amla put on a huge partnership. He was trying for the glory ball yorker and got it wrong. This is probably a compliment for him that he didn't give up and was trying stuff to get a wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the wonderspell you are talking about, but technically he did get Tendulkar out

Dale Steyn 5_75 _ 1_43 v India_ 3rd Test 2010_11.flv - YouTube
    Nah I mean his individual spell post-lunch where he got Pujara (with possibly the greatest delivery I have ever seen in Test cricket) and Dhoni and beat Tendulkar's bat with outswingers about ten times. Tendulkar was batting right across his stumps a mile outside his crease - one well-pitched inswinger/inducker and he was dead. But every time he tried it would go down leg or just not go at all.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Way too early to judge Pattinson/Cummins. Need to give them both a year in test cricket.

Same with Bracewell.

WI have some good prospects but again totally unproven, so is Junaid Khan, Yadav and Aaron etc.

Have to wait and see. Its not uncommon for bowlers/batsmen to get a honeymoon period in international cricket before getting found out somewhat.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Dougeh!
    Timmeh!
    Trenteh!

Philander and Praveen will both turn out to be stars.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

You guys wait til Hamish Bennett is fit again. He's going to be the next Shane Bond. He's gonna destroy. Him and Bracewell.
    Hamish Bennett's #1 Fan

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Bennett can't stay on the pitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Kugglejuggle is the future.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information