• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has batting in tests become too aggressive.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Interesting, although I suppose the flip side of Bangladesh's bowlers getting flogged is their batsmen getting owned.
Bangladesh's bowlers over the 05-10 period went for 3.5 an over exactly the same as the Pakistani bowlers. NZ went for the least an over 3.10 which was the average for the previous 5 years. Zimbabwe went for the most 3.72 but only played 8 Tests.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Winning the war is what counts, not individual fireworks

Article from Stuart MacGill that touches on this with relation to the Australians in South Africa

Playing positively, batting with intent and dominating the bowlers have long been phrases that have worried me. As a bowler, I like nothing more than a batsman who thinks that he has the upper hand simply because he scores quickly.

I remember bowling to David Boon in a Shield match years ago. I had taken career-best figures in the first innings and was looking forward to bowling to him in the second. It soon became obvious, however, that Boonie's idea of batting with intent wasn't the same as the new generation of Australian players.

I simply couldn't get him to take a risk. Every good ball I bowled was defended calmly and without fuss.

You don't impress anyone by hitting the most fours or staring at the batsmen. You impress everyone by competing hard throughout all of the battles and then winning the war. The more experienced players in the team should pay careful attention to Pat Cummins, because I think he's channelling David Boon.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Has 4th innings chase also become easier? Seems like we see lot more successful 4th innings chases these days than before. Any numbers on that?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Has 4th innings chase also become easier? Seems like we see lot more successful 4th innings chases these days than before. Any numbers on that?
I'm pretty sure you're correct, although I wonder with more aggressive batting earlier in the game we're seeing bigger chases because there's more time to knock off 250-300 scores in the 4th innings.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There are lots of awful bowlers around who do just get sodomised all the time by rampant batsman who just charge at them, that must also be something to do with the higher run rates.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nothing wrong with that. England and India probably have the most old-fashioned lineups, and they're the best two batting lineups going atm.
That's true, but both have other things going for them which are less conventional - a nonsensically powerful lower order in the case of the former and one Virender Sehwag int eh case of the latter

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if I got the queries right.

Matches with 4th innings score > 100
Total Matches won

The % of matches won after scoring > 100 in 4th innings has gone to 24% since the turn of century from 20% in 6 decades before that. That is not big difference. % of matches yielding any kind of result have gone up though.

Code:
[B]Decade	Matches won	Won chasing > 100	% result[/B]
1870s	3		1			33%
1880s	25		3			12%
1890s	26		6			23%
1900s	31		9			29%
1910s	25		5			20%
1920s	35		7			20%
1930s	53		8			15%
1940s	23		5			22%
1950s	113		21			19%
1960s	97		22			23%
1970s	114		22			19%
1980s	143		32			22%
1990s	223		42			19%
2000s	350		85			24%
2010s	52		12			23%

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
lol....woah...

Let's not start calling England a dominant team like Australia, yeah?

It's important not to get carried away.