Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pace Bowlers Who Could Perform Better than Ricky Ponting With The Bat

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Peter Siddle
    Ever since the Ashes last year I've thought he should be batting in the top order . He was only the 3rd player to get double figures in both innings at Newlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Sanga > Ponting atm
    fixed
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    To answer the thread title, how about Shane Watson, Dan Christian, Moises Henriques and Mitch Marsh

Also spinners Nathan Hauritz, Steve O'Keefe and Steven Smith....

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    In this comparison, if Ponting is Viv, who is Kallis?
    Miandad or Chappell

Edit: I should say Viv > Ponting, ftr.
    Last edited by Burgey; 12-11-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I'm not. Cook will need 4 years like his last one to even be anywhere near Ponting, he won't do it as he isn't that good. If he did do it he'd have done it in an era with lesser bowlers anyway and in a far less stylish way than Ponting ever did. Cook will always be a level below Ponting even after he breaks all the English batting records.
    Ah I see what you mean. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    hope his stubborness doesn't lead to him losing another couple of points..i.e he should retire if things don't improve for him over the next month.
    Aussie culture 101 - it's about winning, we couldn't give a brass razoo* about averages. Having said that, Ryan Harris

*give a ****

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think you are kidding yourself if you think the Aussie players don't care about their personal stats - regardless of what the correct thing to say in public is.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Harbhajan Singh

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think you are kidding yourself if you think the Aussie players don't care about their personal stats - regardless of what the correct thing to say in public is.
    Well I think there'd be a few 'lesser' players who don't really care about their stats. Like Haddin or someone - because they know they aren't exactly pushing the boundaries of excellence, so why would they really care what their average is as long they are doing a good enough job in the team? Definately agree with you for players like Ponting though. I doubt there's really been any top tier player who hasn't cared about their personal stats, even if they don't admit it. That's part of the reason why players like Ponting etc. have hit such heights - they want to be the best they can for their team, but they take it beyond that and also strive to be best in the world. That's basically what makes a champion, someone who has extremely high personal ambitions on top of everything else.

stats are for ****s

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    well hey since it got linked let's bump it

Give me Dale Steyn. Josh Hazlewood may not be in the runs but he can at least stick around
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Well I think there'd be a few 'lesser' players who don't really care about their stats. Like Haddin or someone - because they know they aren't exactly pushing the boundaries of excellence, so why would they really care what their average is as long they are doing a good enough job in the team? Definately agree with you for players like Ponting though. I doubt there's really been any top tier player who hasn't cared about their personal stats, even if they don't admit it. That's part of the reason why players like Ponting etc. have hit such heights - they want to be the best they can for their team, but they take it beyond that and also strive to be best in the world. That's basically what makes a champion, someone who has extremely high personal ambitions on top of everything else.
    Yup exactly. You'd expect every great player to have personal milestones like that in mind and try hard to achieve them within the context of playing for the team. That Aussie culture 101 is as bs as the 'australianism' that's trotted out (interestingly only when they win and not when they're bundled out for 47). And I admire the Aussie sports culture and i wish India had some of that but lets not go overboard here.

Yeah I agree. Back in the days of Border and co, I genuinely believe Australia did have a hardened 'never say never' kind of ethos but these days I'm inclined to think the opposite. That's one of the major problems in Australian cricket these days; there aren't enough gritty players out there willing to put in the hard yards. Those sterotyped qualities about Aussie sports culture are losing there validity very quickly now.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Yup exactly. You'd expect every great player to have personal milestones like that in mind and try hard to achieve them within the context of playing for the team. That Aussie culture 101 is as bs as the 'australianism' that's trotted out (interestingly only when they win and not when they're bundled out for 47). And I admire the Aussie sports culture and i wish India had some of that but lets not go overboard here.
    bah you don't see Australian fans go missing just because we are losing, we just get really ****ty about it. And expect different.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Ponting IMO has done enough for Australian cricket to deserve to retire on his own terms. He's been prepared to emasculate himself by playing on as Australia's tactical bridesmaid, and he's better placed than most to know when he'll never get back into Test-standard form. I for one trust him to make that call when he believes it.

So far, he doesn't yet.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information