• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Swann

ljinko888

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Swann's test will come next year against Pakistan on flat tracks and against India in the test series.
This will the ultimate test. Selectors should look to give him a spin partner too. And I mean proper, out and out spinner. Not Samit Patel, a batsman who bowls sometimes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I do love how every time an English bowler beats the "ultimate Test for him", another new "ultimate Test" springs up.

Spark

Global Moderator
It always amuses me when someone trots out the "play the second spinner just 'cos it's the subcontinent" argument.

Even more so when the cost of doing so is dropping one of Anderson, Broad and Bresnan. Seriously, no.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It always amuses me when someone trots out the "play the second spinner just 'cos it's the subcontinent" argument.

Even more so when the cost of doing so is dropping one of Anderson, Broad and Bresnan. Seriously, no.
Yeah, we have a Test team with a pace attack good enough to leave Chris ****ing Tremlett out, and people want to add a spinner to it. Another spinner in for one of the quicks just isn't a realistic option for England at all.

I'd think about Patel (or Blackwell :ph34r:) in for Morgan (or to remove my bias, I'll even pretend Morgan is James Taylor) if the pitch was going to be really unresponsive to fast bowling, but while England's 7-11 are probably all good enough to go up a place I still don't think bringing in Panesar for a batsman would really improve the team in any conditions. The batting is a bigger chance of having an off day and getting rolled than *that* bowling attack is of collectively bowling pies for an innings IMO, even on a pitch that looks flat at the toss.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Yeah, we have a Test team with a pace attack good enough to leave Chris ****ing Tremlett out, and people want to add a spinner to it. Another spinner in for one of the quicks just isn't a realistic option for England at all.

I'd think about Patel (or Blackwell :ph34r:) in for Morgan (or to remove my bias, I'll even pretend Morgan is James Taylor) if the pitch was going to be really unresponsive to fast bowling, but while England's 7-11 are probably all good enough to go up a place I still don't think bringing in Panesar for a batsman would really improve the team in any conditions. The batting is a bigger chance of having an off day and getting rolled than *that* bowling attack is of collectively bowling pies for an innings IMO, even on a pitch that looks flat at the toss.
England have a series in Dubai, one in Lanka and another in India next year. Lets see how a full strength bowling attack does in those conditions.

Spark

Global Moderator
If we can beat SL at home with a greenhorn attack and Mitchell Johnson, England should be capable of wiping the floor.

India at home is the real challenge. Frankly, the Dubai pitch is so terrible that if they win a Test there, they've done amazingly well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have no concerns about our bowling on flat pitches - we bowled Australia out for less than 300 at Adelaide on day 1.

Spark

Global Moderator
There are flat pitches, then there's the Dubai pitch.

(And tbf Adelaide was greatly helped by three batsmen falling in as many overs - one without facing a ball and two to swing, nothing to do with the deck)

It'll be a major ask. They're the team I would say are most likely to pull it off, but by god it's the top of a fairly unenticing pile.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There are flat pitches, then there's the Dubai pitch.

(And tbf Adelaide was greatly helped by three batsmen falling in as many overs - one without facing a ball and two to swing, nothing to do with the deck)

It'll be a major ask. They're the team I would say are most likely to pull it off, but by god it's the top of a fairly unenticing pile.
Pakistan created plenty of chances - they were denied by **** umpiring and worse fielding.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah but even then do not underestimate the UAE pitches dude.....they are seriously ****e. They made Dale Steyn look pedestrian last year. I can't recall Steyn ever looking so pathetic as last year in Dubai.

Agree with Spark. There are roads and then there is Dubai. This is sigworthy tbh

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Those are familiar pitches for Pakistan bowlers, not so much for the English ones. Plus they were bending their backs and giving it their all.
Ah, so the issue in the UAE has been that bowlers haven't been bending their back and giving their all?

ganeshran

International Debutant
Ah, so the issue in the UAE has been that bowlers haven't been bending their back and giving their all?

I didnt say that. The pitch is an absolute road and very unsuitable for test cricket.

But Pakistani bowlers did give it their all and bent their back to create the chances even on that wicket. Too bad their catching wasnt even of club level.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Those are familiar pitches for Pakistan bowlers, not so much for the English ones. Plus they were bending their backs and giving it their all.
Pakistan (or at least this team) have played a grand total of 3 Tests in the UAE.

A lack of familiarity with Australian pitches and conditions (only Anderson had previously bowled there) didn't stop us outperforming Australia.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So what you're saying is, technology > people watching on TV? :ph34r:
I know you aren't being entirely serious, but that is still mildly disingenuous. Ajmal passed a test in laboratory conditions, which proves no more than the fact that he can bowl within the tolerance limits when he knows he's being measured. I've absolutely no doubt he's over 15 degrees as often as not in actual games.

As for everyone who says it doesn't matter when spinners chuck: what the **** are you boys on? One of the most basic tenets of the sport is that the ball is bowled not thrown in deliveries. If there was no advantage in throwing bowlers wouldn't make misnomers of themselves by doing it.

Ajmal, Botha & Ashwin all mock the sport in which they make their livelihoods. I don't blame them particularly, it's up to the ICC to take a stand.

Would say Sammy at six would be the way to go. Averages more in FC cricket than Morgan and with Prior, Broad, Bresnan & Swann to follow any potential weakening in the batting (which is arguable anyway) is offset.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
I know you aren't being entirely serious, but that is still mildly disingenuous. Ajmal passed a test in laboratory conditions, which proves no more than the fact that he can bowl within the tolerance limits when he knows he's being measured. I've absolutely no doubt he's over 15 degrees as often as not in actual games.

As for everyone who says it doesn't matter when spinners chuck: what the **** are you boys on? One of the most basic tenets of the sport is that the ball is bowled not thrown in deliveries. If there was no advantage in throwing bowlers wouldn't make misnomers of themselves by doing it.

Ajmal, Botha & Ashwin all mock the sport in which they make their livelihoods. I don't blame them particularly, it's up to the ICC to take a stand.

Would say Sammy at six would be the way to go. Averages more in FC cricket than Morgan and with Prior, Broad, Bresnan & Swann to follow any potential weakening in the batting (which is arguable anyway) is offset.
Ashwin chucks? :blink: