• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your strategies and theories when you play

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have plenty of them - just thought we could share any lessons you've personally learned over the years of playing school or club cricket or any theories that you have...

Here are some of mine

1) A coach told me the hardest ball you face is the 1st one followed by the 2nd one and so forth. I have found this to be true.

2) Another tip after about an hour of batting you get tired and may offer a chance - if you can break this barrier you are in for a big one.

3) Opening bowlers tend to "warm up" in their 1st two overs. They bring their best stuff in their third or fourth over of the day. If you can survive that you can normally see them off.

4) Usually in club cricket each team has one good bowler - if you can see him off you can make hay against the rest.

5) If you play a poor shot or struggle against a delivery you can gaurantee the next ball is going to be in the same place.

How about you -

PS I am not a bowler so would value that perspective too...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I get in that state I am usually on 30 or so and doing well. Find it hard to just walk in there and don't think. Can you do it right from ball one?
I usually realise once I'm back in the pavilion that I was probably thinking too much right before I got dismissed :p

For me, the more tired I get, the less I think and the better I play.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
- Look at the gaps, not the fielders.
- Find a spot or two where an easy single will be scored on every occasion until the field changes.
- Get bat onto ball as soon as possible when starting an innings, absolutely hate leaving too many in a row before laying bat onto ball, of course I have been out edging a ball early in an innings a few times!
- Work out how good the rest of your team is - Often in junior Cricket I was in a weak team, so I just batted for as long as I could cause we RARELY lasted the full overs - If you're in a better team lift the strike rate (if I'm going slow) once set (usually 20 plus).
- Don't miss anything straight, this can be done from playing proper cricket shots, no cow corner slogs from me if the ball is hitting the stumps

G.I.Joe

International Coach
1) A coach told me the hardest ball you face is the 1st one followed by the 2nd one and so forth. I have found this to be true.

3) Opening bowlers tend to "warm up" in their 1st two overs. They bring their best stuff in their third or fourth over of the day. If you can survive that you can normally see them off.
Does not compute.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
-Extra pace is overrated, movement, accuracy, and bounce are far more important.
-Having a disguised quicker ball you use sparingly is much more effective than a slower ball (though a good bowler will have both)
-Slightly contradictory to my previous two points, but variations are overrated. All a good, accurate bowler needs is two types of delivery, one that moves (either way) and one that doesn't.
-If a team has one or two really good bowlers, don't be too fussed about scoring big off them at first. Fatigue always sets in.
-Don't let the fielders stay on their heels. Play it safe at first, but once you've got an idea of who the good and poor fielders are, dots can start turning into singles and singles can turn into doubles.
-Don't let **** get bowled at you during the middle overs. This is when you've got to capitalise on the lesser blokes that get brought on, frustrates me no end seeing medium pace half-volleys get patted back down the track.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a bowler:

- Warm-up properly so you're into your stride in the first over (not over 3 or 4) :D A batsman is most vulnerable in the first few overs, so the more pressure you can put on him then the better.
- Short of a length just outside off is always a good place to start.
- Take note of a batsman's strengths early on and work out where you can starve him of runs.
- Remember a dot ball is a good ball, there's no point adjusting your length fuller and getting driven if they're not doing anything off your normal length.
- Make a batsman play as often as possible early on in the piece (looks like a contradiction to the above point, but there's a difference between bowling a good length and getting some nibbles and bowling rubbish that doesn't need to be played at).
- Constantly remind yourself that left-handers are all bunnies, regardless of whether they bat 1 or 11.
- Constantly remind left-handers of this when they're at the crease. Especially if they've played and missed 15 times in a row.
- Take advantage of the fact that many batsman are stupid and will sledge you from slips when you're batting, seemingly forgetting you're going to be bowling about 10 mins after you get out and will probably remember.
- A couple of things I tried to take from much better bowlers than me was to always target the best batsmen in the team and try to really put pressure on them by bowling well and the old two straight up on middle and one angling away ploy to left-handers.
- Be patient.
- Keep it simple. Don't get lured away from doing what you do best.

For batsmen:

- It's polite to acknowledge you've been lucky in situations where, as usual, you've just played the arsiest innings of your life and scored 50 runs in arc between square and fine legs...46 of them in boundaries through slips. Pretending it's because you can bat will just annoy the bowler.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Similar to NUFAN, but with batting, I take note of where every fielder is, and then work out where my singles/the gaps are, so that I know off the bat that I can go.

In one day cricket, varying my pace as a spinner is a big thing, not letting the batsman get into a rhythm against you and knowing the pace, so that he can throw his hands through the ball to try and bomb me. Still usually can, because I don't spin the ball enough.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's not too late to change to chinaman buddy. you may avoid being the blacksheep of the 2006 U19 team yet!