Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New Feature: The Greatest Test Innings

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I dunno.. apparently Waqar bowled this good spell that me and all the match reports totally missed. I mean, on the 3rd day last session, there was little else to write about. You would have thought at least someone would mention it..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by hang on View Post
    what self serving pap! u came into this argument when i pointed out to someone else that afridi's knock wasn't better than tendulkar's. and that playing akram and co. was a different kettle of fish to playing srinath and co.

i never once said that the indians did not also play bad shots. where did u get that from? your usual hysterical take on things? similar to misrepresenting other people's points of view - weldone's in this case. for your information, i followed the match on cricinfo. and i watched all of the match later when i borrowed the tapes from an indian chum of mine.

waqar wasn't great but he was hardly rank. and secondly, akram was bowling very well. no two ways about that. not being able to bowl those kinds of balls - the ones to dravid - at will or with the frequency with which he used does not mean that he was easy to hit, something that u seem to suggest for some odd reason when u claim that he was easy to score of.

additionally, the prasad point - wickets in a clutch at the end - was to show that the pakistani bowlers did not have to take 6 wickets at a time in order to have bowled well. they took wickets uniformly throughout the indian innings, something that u, in your hysterical defensiveness, fail to understand. yet again. but i am ceasing to be surprised by it now.

once again, the genesis of this unfortunate riff was your misconstrual of my ranking of his innings (the claim about blatantly wanting to make the innings more than it was...yet another example of an hysterical assertion in one of your comments). i just wanted to say that this innings was an excellent one and certainly better than afridi's. not that it was his greatest knock. or even necessarily a legendary one. but one that couldn't be brushed aside with a blithe 'afridi's was much better'.

and stop thinking that u are the only one who has ever watched a game of cricket live or spoken to some cricketers. your statements on here give the lie to your claim that u have actually watched that match.
    Didn't you say Prasad took wickets towards the end of the Pak innings? all 6 of them? If there were 6 wickets to go, how was it anywhere near the end? And you are blaming me for not watching the game when I tell you things based on what I watched AND based on the stats of the game and the series... You have just got it in your head that Sachin came up against this great attack when the fact is it was a pretty poor attack in the first place. Just take a look at the no. of rank shots INdia played to get out to understand how ordinary that bowlling line up was.

I am not even gonna reply to your other points as I feel things have gone far enough.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Gonna be a long Summer.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Didn't you say Prasad took wickets towards the end of the Pak innings? all 6 of them? If there were 6 wickets to go, how was it anywhere near the end? And you are blaming me for not watching the game when I tell you things based on what I watched AND based on the stats of the game and the series... You have just got it in your head that Sachin came up against this great attack when the fact is it was a pretty poor attack in the first place. Just take a look at the no. of rank shots INdia played to get out to understand how ordinary that bowlling line up was.

I am not even gonna reply to your other points as I feel things have gone far enough.
    didn't once say that he took all his wickets at that point. though, if i did, i am wrong and misspoke. again, u are nitpicking.....one can quite correctly refer to the end of an innings separately from the wickets issue.....it could be based on the time and the number of overs. for example, when india collapsed in the second test this past summer losing their last 6 wickets in double quick time, surely it was ok to refer to the last hour of their batting as the end of the innings.

it was not a poor attack that india played. it wasn't one at its peak, but it certainly was not a poor one. and certainly not one that was inferior to the indian attack. i repeat, yet again, that i am not on a crusade to anoint tendulkar's innings as something that it is not (a motive that u seem to have ascribed to me for some odd reason, to judge by some of your comments). but i am not, at the same time, going to sit tight while people blithely dismiss it with asinine comments (not yours, but the original one) of the sort that i had initially responded to when i said that tendulkar played a better attack than afridi. (without even needing to mention that the match situation and the 4th innings element were also factors that elevated his innings above that of afridi's).
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    My thread in being hijacked by Tendulkar shocker.

I think that's enough, hang on and hb.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I think that's enough, hang on and hb.
    fair enough. mea culpa. should never have taken nufan's bait about tendulkar being lucky to have his innings there.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    My thread in being hijacked by Tendulkar shocker.
    The good news is that it'll keep getting bumped to the top of CC which will give more people an opportunity to read the beginning part of the thread.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

True.

By the way, any luck with putting my formula into visual basic?

True.

By the way, any luck with putting my formula into visual basic?
    There are some things in it I can't actually do with the data I have currently, so I need to find a way to make the program collect some different things from StatsGuru/scorecards. Which is doable, but it'd take a dedicated day or two on it.

If you can do it, great. If not, no worries.

Is it possible to send me one of your visual basic files so I can get an idea of how one of your formulas works?

If you can do it, great. If not, no worries.

Is it possible to send me one of your visual basic files so I can get an idea of how one of your formulas works?
    I'm quite happy to send you my standardised averages project but it won't be functional without all the data I've collected (some I have programs to do automatically and some I've done manually - mainly domestic stuff for the latter). You'd still be able to see all the code and how it works etc.

That would be great, cheers.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

That would be great, cheers.
    Any luck getting those knocks DoG? sorrry if it was in the bigger list and I missed it..

Sachin's 114 at Perth and Old Trafford and his 155 at Bloemfontein..

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information