• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Disagree tbh.

Warner may look more aesthetically pleasing and complete when he gets going, but has a number of problems in his technique.
Khawaja's quite bottom handed to my eye. Surprised it isn't commented on more. Think he'll have issues with the ball coming back into him.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Khawaja's quite bottom handed to my eye. Surprised it isn't commented on more. Think he'll have issues with the ball coming back into him.
yeah he does. both his dismissals in the SL tour were balls coming in

ho nomo

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why's Haddin coming in down the order suddenly?
Think they've decided to move away from him opening as per the "give your batsmen with the much chance of building a long innings the best chance of doing so" theory. If Watson and Marsh were going to be permanently unavailable for whatever reason he'd probably go back to opening but I think the selectors want to get him properly used to his role down the order.

He actually did a lot better opening in ODIs than I expected when they gave him the gig, tbh, but he was definitely a bit frustrating in the role at times with how often he'd throw away a decent-but-not-explosive start.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nice looking cover drive from the young fella there. Steyn too wide and pays the price.

Warner has a better technique than Hughes or Usman: discuss.
Warner has issues through the V with natural strokeplay. Absolute "width predator" though.

Khawaja squaring himself up a little with the back foot defense really the only/biggest issue for him. Think he'll find his way at the top of the order, out of the Strauss and Cook model where he has to wait till it's really there for his front foot stuff.

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner has issues through the V with natural strokeplay. Absolute "width predator" though.

Khawaja squaring himself up a little with the back foot defense really the only/biggest issue for him. Think he'll find his way at the top of the order, out of the Strauss and Cook model where he has to wait till it's really there for his front foot stuff.
You don't have problems with his forward press?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Because he is a pretty good ODI bowler, can bat, can field and also has captaincy experience which is crucial when you have a captain skippering his first ODI.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep, 'tis true. Probably scores as big a percentage off back foot shots onto the leg side as the much more publicised Hughes tendency to favour the cut.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Clarke really can't play the short ball. Remember when Broad got him caught at short leg in an ODI in 2010.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, gotta love it when the commentators just talk absolute fluff.

Lopsy has apparently been away improving all his skills over the offseason and they're all ever-impressed with the fruits of the labour he put in over that time.

For those playing along at home (not the commentators evidently) that off-season was spent in County Cricket, where he had such a disastrous stint that he ended up dropped and playing Second XI cricket, and he wasn't even impressive at that level.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Khawaja and forward press.

I don't think it's a massive issue, it might restrict his ability to get forward a bit but it's a case of shot selection after that. Strauss rarely gets a long way in front of the crease, but just knows when to leave.

Cook and Graeme Smith both have far stronger bottom hands than Khawaja at the moment.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yep, 'tis true. Probably scores as big a percentage off back foot shots onto the leg side as the much more publicised Hughes tendency to favour the cut.
Don't know if it's changed, but Khawaja is as strong a cutter as most that I've seen up through the ages.

Not as strong as Hughes', obviously.