• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia news: Ricky Ponting reveals 'long-term' batting plan | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Something about this doesn't feel right. For someone who made #3 position as emphatically his own as no one since Bradman (with possible exception of Dravid), to relinquish it for someone else is, well, quite poignant.
Personally, I'm a bit surprised Watto's not been endorsed as the long-term 3. He clearly can't keep opening but lower than 4 seems a waste too. Depends on how much bowling he's likely to do, I guess.

Guessing but I get the feeling the selectors have been putting off making some hard decisions. I also don't reckon they thought Clarke would struggle so badly at 4, figuring it was a formality he'd establish himself there, Ponting would quietly retire and they'd give a long-term pick (Usman) a go there and he'd have time to establish himself. With Clarke struggling, they'd had to pick someone who could hit the ground running at 3.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Clarke really can never be a good number 4 now, he;s had too many chances and was pretty awful. Things just look awkward because Ponting is still there, to be honest. I want him there, but his time is coming to an end, the team needs to move forward.

Redbacks

International Captain
2 hundreds in 27 tests at 41.55 isn't really good enough. Watson's position at the top should be in jeopardy based on perfomance alone. We have better openers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do we really?

Those are 'reasonable numbers for an opener, big tons are a rarity for those not named Sehwag/Hayden. And openers getting out frequently between 50-100 is nothing new either. The biggest problem for me has been how he's getting out. Recently he's been bashing a quick 30 and running out of steam, not-so-coincidentally after bowling 15+ overs. When you're tired, you're more likely to have a flash than just patiently wait out a good spell and unless I missed my guess, Watto's had quite a few of those since he started opening. Must have been out leaving the ball more than a few times too?

More concerned with overburdening him than anything else.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Watson's performances as an opener haven't been good enough.
An average of 46 is certainly good enough. He was averaging 50 just before the last series, even.

The suggestion that Watson hasn't performed well as an opener isn't based in reality IMO. Could be better elsewhere, but is more than fine as an opener.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
An average of 46 is certainly good enough. He was averaging 50 just before the last series, even.

The suggestion that Watson hasn't performed well as an opener isn't based in reality IMO. Could be better elsewhere, but is more than fine as an opener.
I wasn't talking about his average, I was talking about his performances. Retaining an average of 50 by getting starts and throwing them away to stupid shots when you've got a piss weak middle order isn't performing well.

Phantom

Banned
I'm with GingerFurball on this one, Watson seems to be one of the few Australian batsman capable of surviving when it's moving around a bit, along with Katich and Hussey. His average would be higher was it not for the last of higher scores to boost it. Yes his inability to capitalise is a worry, but 46 as an opener certainly isn't the worst average by a long shot. Some of his shot selection suggest perhaps too much limited overs cricket maybe? Thoughts? He does play all 3 versions of the game and does so at a world class level, but maybe with the amount being played, it's inevitable that the mind can get confused with wanting to dominate.