• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While probably not fair due to this bizarre match, time to drop Ponting please.....

Below shows Ponting, while not at his all-time best, quite consistant....

Nov 07 to Nov 08: 12T, 22 Inn, 1 no, 941 runs @ 44.80, HS 158, 3 100's, 4 50's

Nov 08 to Nov 09: 12T, 23 Inn, 0 no, 980 runs @ 42.60, HS 150, 2 100's, 7 50's

Nov 09 to Nov 10: 12T, 22 Inn, 1 no, 905 runs @ 43.09, HS 209, 1 100's, 7 50's

....and then...

Nov 10 to Nov 11: 7T, 14 Inn, 1 no, 245 runs @ 18.84, HS 51*, 0 100's, 1 50

Time to bring Khawaja [and Warner] into the side....
They're damning numbers. Warner I think is likely to make it as a test player, though he's another bloke who goes hard at the ball.

Still not convinced by Usman on the forward press, something very likely to get sorted out in conditions where it's moving about.

ganeshran

International Debutant
This match is like the India-WI match but played on a different pitch and a more extreme scoreline. The pattern is pretty much the same though

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, this is just a road now.

All we had to do was survive 'til 15 ****ing overs after tea BUT THAT WAS TOO ****ING HARD WASN'T IT
I reckon if we had made them follow on we might've won this without batting again.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
They can tear apart any weak batting order, but once they face the best of Smith, Amla, ABdV and Kallis, they are the ones that will be torn to shreds. South African's love to face fast and straight bowling (like any non SC team) and it's highly unlikely Siddle and Johnson can repeat what they did 2 years ago, and it was easy to notice that a slow containing bowler is the best against SA even if it was just McDonald. It wasn't Johnson or Hughes that changed our fortunes against SA, but McDonald who doesn't get the credit he deserves. Big mistake if Copeland doesn't play.
Called it.

Wasn't that hard though...

aussie tragic

International Captain
They're damning numbers. Warner I think is likely to make it as a test player, though he's another bloke who goes hard at the ball.

Still not convinced by Usman on the forward press, something very likely to get sorted out in conditions where it's moving about.
Here's hoping Warner comes over as cover for Marsh and slots in as opener in next Test....Khawaja at #3 and Watson at #4

pup11

International Coach
Yeah excellent points. Nothing about Siddle's bowling is instilling me with confidence that he will improve or be able to bowl with more refined skills in the future. He just bangs it in and bangs it in and bangs it in. Even if someone like Copeland isn't that effective right now, he has a damn good bowling brain and knows exactly the areas he needs to focus on/improve in. Cummins already shows signs of being a more intelligent bowler with more weapons up his sleave than someone like Siddle as well.
I think Cooley is largely to be blamed for this, he is a great advocate of fast bowlers hitting the deck hard even if it means them shunning their natural style of bowling, likes of Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus all moved the ball pretty well before coming into the Australian side but after that they were totally transformed as bowlers and the results of that are for all to see.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

At least Usman values his wicket. It's why I would rather a fit Paine over Haddin too. Sure it's great when we see an attacking knock like Clarke's in the first dig, but batsman just need to be prepared to tough it out way more often.

A few of the boys need to be axed after this performance, it's been disgraceful.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well done South Africa, that is quite the chase. So quickly too - looking at the score this could have been an ODI innings.

adub

International Captain
keep in mind that 209 featured a pull shot on 0 that was dropped at fine leg. He has to go first. Before Haddin, hell before MJ/Siddle. Legend blah blah blah you're done
Earlier today I was 50/50, but **** it. Everyone else can't be made to pay the price before him. A new guy can't go any worse and will get some valuable experience for the future. Ponting is now just a champ past his prime who needs his cornerman to do the right thing and throw in the towel because he's too proud to go to the canvas.