• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Let me ask it this way: how many people who dont support india also dont support their stance on udrs? :p
Precisely the question I like to ask on Tendulkar/Bradman issue. How many of those who think Tendulkar is better batsman than Bradman also think Tendulkar is the greatest cricketer ever? :p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Serious question here: how many non-India supporters are anti-UDRS? Benchy seems about the only one.

Happily not every India follower is anti, but there does seem a correaltion between the two.
I'm not anti - UDRS at all personally, just anti some parts and how they are used. Mainly the predictive path part, IMO. Still think holding it fully back is bull**** though.

And in relation to the second part i was the first on here to raise issue with it long back even before it was implemented fully(even though i wanted other parts implemented at the earliest) and the BCCI had made up it's mind either way. And also after that later when everyone was jumping aboard.

In anycase even for the rest of Indian fans, it is easier to disagree with something BCCI does, than to agree partially/fully.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone not support a system which will improve the quality of outcomes compared with what was pre-existing?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah that's why I support the DRS. Its really really far from perfect, but if it is improving the percentage of correct decisions then I support it. It seems to be improving the percentage, so I am for it.

One disclaimer though, the percentage of improvement must be worth the money invested into the equipment required for the DRS. I have no idea about the costs though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that's why I support the DRS. Its really really far from perfect, but if it is improving the percentage of correct decisions then I support it. It seems to be improving the percentage, so I am for it.

One disclaimer though, the percentage of improvement must be worth the money invested into the equipment required for the DRS. I have no idea about the costs though.
I was talking about the Mining Tax ftr.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
The criticism was fully merited, the BCCI's irrational stance is the sole reason we have this fudged situation where DRS is watered down whenever India are involved.

It wasn't based on any science. They haven't taken the opportunity to examine the technology or listen to developers. Some cronies in the BCCI have decided they don't like it and they've placed their fingers firmly in their ears and shouted la la la.

The technology has been studied before and will continue to be studied. It's a scientific process not a BCCI dictatorship where their lackeys impose their ****ed up half-baked ideas on the rest of the cricket world.
Can you explain why there is a need to implement it before an independent study is performed, and why everyone must comply to it? The criticism was clearly over the top and unwarranted. Let's see what the independent review comes up with.

No body needs to change their belief because it inconveniences someone....they don't believe in the technology and they don't want to use it in games involving their team.... it ends there. It's not like they canvassed other boards to join hands with them...

How do you know BCCI didn't consider the technology seriously. I don't know if they did or if they didn't...and i doubt you do too... Are you not guilty of forming an opinion without proper information....the very thing you are accusing BCCI are doing?

It is very hard to appropriate any credibility to your post...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What I don't understand is why DRS can't be made mandatory for all Tests and ODIs. One of the things I noticed when the ICC conducted a review into governance is that you need 7 (irrc) full members to support a proposal.

Off the top of my head:

Australia - use DRS in home series
Bangladesh - don't know (I don't think they used it against Pakistan, although I don't know if that's down to costs or because they're against it)
England - use DRS in home series
India - lalalalalala finger in ears NOT LISTENING!
New Zealand - use DRS in home series
Pakistan - use DRS in home series
South Africa - use DRS in home series
Sri Lanka - use DRS in home series
West Indies - use DRS in home series
Zimbabwe - not sure, but they certainly didn't object to the use of the system in New Zealand.
ICC - use DRS in all ICC events

It's literally only India that have a problem with the system and who refuse to use it. Why on earth can the other boards not vote as one and make the full system mandatory?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When it comes to England and Australia, the technology used would be used by the broadcasters anyway. There's no "new" technology that's been introduced to the DRS system that hadn't already been put in place by the broadcasters anyway.

I appreciate it's different in the subcontinent, but I can't imagine the system costs the ECB or CA much at all since it's using technology already used by Sky Sports and Channel 9 respectively.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What I don't understand is why DRS can't be made mandatory for all Tests and ODIs. One of the things I noticed when the ICC conducted a review into governance is that you need 7 (irrc) full members to support a proposal.

Off the top of my head:

Australia - use DRS in home series
Bangladesh - don't know (I don't think they used it against Pakistan, although I don't know if that's down to costs or because they're against it)
England - use DRS in home series
India - lalalalalala finger in ears NOT LISTENING!
New Zealand - use DRS in home series
Pakistan - use DRS in home series
South Africa - use DRS in home series
Sri Lanka - use DRS in home series
West Indies - use DRS in home series
Zimbabwe - not sure, but they certainly didn't object to the use of the system in New Zealand.
ICC - use DRS in all ICC events

It's literally only India that have a problem with the system and who refuse to use it. Why on earth can the other boards not vote as one and make the full system mandatory?
Because a bunch of boards don't want to spend the money and are going to point to India and are happy that BCCI take the flak for their position.

I've said this before that India doesn't have the power people think it does. It's certainly the most powerful but your local board probably is pretty damn culpable in the vast majority of issues that are blamed solely on the BCCI.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Because a bunch of boards don't want to spend the money and are going to point to India and are happy that BCCI take the flak for their position.

I've said this before that India doesn't have the power people think it does. It's certainly the most powerful but your local board probably is pretty damn culpable in the vast majority of issues that are blamed solely on the BCCI.
Lack of balls being their biggest sin.

People aim their anger at the BCCI, which is fair. But they then let the other boards of the hook when they are an absolute bunch of pussies.

Debris

International 12th Man

Well, more like a bunch of boards don't want to spend India's money. And I am pretty sure India has at least as much power as I think it does.