• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I also demand Snicko! Does it take too long to load or summant?
That's the excuse that's always trotted out, but I haven't seen an adequate explanation as to why it should be. On the face of it it seems a fairly straightforward bit of kit.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know what software or filters they're using but no processing of raw audio is instantaneous. Possible even that the picking out of signal vs noise is done manually, certainly is harder to do with audio than, say, video, hence the explosion in real-time video processing (number plate recognition, for example) and less so with audio.

Not saying it can't be done relatively easily these days, just the real-time bit is a problem.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
They surely have to be, all the rubbish that would get picked up by a stump mic that clearly doesn't appear...

benchmark00

That's the excuse that's always trotted out, but I haven't seen an adequate explanation as to why it should be. On the face of it it seems a fairly straightforward bit of kit.
Yeah it's all full of ****.

We can cook a pizza pocket in a microwave in 90 seconds but we can't get snicko up to speed. What a joke.

Borges

International Regular
Great. So now it is: Tendulkar has been all along supporting UDRS all along after 2008, the BCCI have been duplicitous villians who have completely misrepresented his position etc.

To me this smacks of Tendulkar during the post Sidney test hearings. So why has he been rushing to the media once every six months or so mouthing off about his objections to the UDRS? This was after the India-Australia test at Bangalore, circa 12th October 2010.
Sachin Tendulkar said that the use of technology along with the much-debated ‘Umpire Decision Review System' must be fool proof before a call can be taken on its implementation in matches.

“Last time when I saw hot-spot, it was rather good. You have to find something that is close to 100 per cent. You cannot expect overnight results that can give you 100 per cent, it is quite good but we need to be convinced. There were occasions in the past when we were not convinced at all. I thought that the lines were not correct and that's my personal opinion,” Tendulkar said.
The Hindu : Sport / Cricket : Tendulkar on UDRS
So could someone please explain to me what was this we in "but we need to be convinced", if the allegation that the BCCI had been acting on its own without consulting the players is to be believed?

The truth is that UDRS has been blocked by BCCI because Tendulkar had consistently and vehemently opposed it. That he now thinks that it puts him in a bad light and tries to take cover behind the fatuous claim that there had been no "formal meetings" to discuss it does not alter anything. The fact of the matter is that such "formal meetings" were not required to ascertain his views when he had been repeatedly airing them in public, again and again.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
So, if its not down to the opinions of senior Indian players then why the **** is the BCCI being driven to this agenda?

It makes NO sense. They aren't benefiting somehow from this. I have to imagine that they genuinely believe they are in the right, which is totally bizarre.

At least have a compromise.

vcs

Great. So now it is: Tendulkar has been all along supporting UDRS all along after 2008, the BCCI have been duplicitous villians who have completely misrepresented his position etc.

To me this smacks of Tendulkar during the post Sidney test hearings. So why has he been rushing to the media once every six months or so mouthing off about his objections to the UDRS? This was after the India-Australia test at Bangalore, circa 12th October 2010.
So could someone please explain to me what was this we in "but we need to be convinced", if the allegation that the BCCI had been acting on its own without consulting the players is to be believed?

The truth is that UDRS has been blocked by BCCI because Tendulkar had consistently and vehemently opposed it. That he now thinks that it puts him in a bad light and tries to take cover behind the fatuous claim that there had been no "formal meetings" to discuss it does not alter anything. The fact of the matter is that such "formal meetings" were not required to ascertain his views when he had been repeatedly airing them in public, again and again.
Where did he say that he has been in support of it all along? Maybe his opinion on it has changed after October 2010 when he saw how well it worked in the Ashes and in the World Cup? Nothing you have said proves that this statement is an arse-covering exercise by him, he is merely stating a fact that no formal meetings have been held between the BCCI and the players since 2008. Perhaps if they had discussed it properly, the players might have given it more thought and changed their opinion earlier.

Even now, he's hardly come out with enthusiastically in its favour, all he's said is :

"I am not against DRS, but I feel it will be more effective with the support of the Snickometer and Hot Spot technology. This will give more consistent results."

Bun

Banned

are u deliberately acting stupid mate?

read it again. he is calling for implementation of hotspot and other stuff, rather than using watered down versions of the same, a stand he has taken now also.

in case a watered down version of udrs is used, like the 08 one which produced a few howlers, he obviously has case to be not confident abt it completely, hence the need for conviction.

Last edited:

Daemon

In a game spread out over 5 days, does taking a bit of time to load snicko really hurt that much? They can even sneak in advertisements for that extra bit of cash.

Blaze 18

Banned

:laugh:

vcs

I really don't understand from the technological point of view, how Snicko and HotSpot are supposed to increase the accuracy of the ball-tracking technology.

Bun

Banned
I really don't understand from the technological point of view, how Snicko and HotSpot are supposed to increase the accuracy of the ball-tracking technology.
Correct me if wrong, but I think he talks about UDRS as a whole and is not just about tracking the ball. Further hotspot and snicko eliminates the need to use ball tracking and should be actually precede it in application. If snicko and hotspot is not there, thin inside edges may not get spotted, and ball tracking alone might result in a wrong decision.

For me it should be Front foot no ball check --> hotspot --> snicko--> ball tracking in case of a lbw referral.

vcs

Ah.. fair enough. Most of the contentious UDRS LBWs I've seen only involve doubts over the projected trajectory of the ball, very rarely does the point of contention seem to be whether the batsman's feathered it on to his pad (that part seems to be settled quite easily even on slow motion TV replays). The Snicko and HotSpot are pretty important for caught behinds though.