• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's funny that you feel this way because I don't even actively support a team and I hate umpiring errors at critical points in matches. Much, much moreso than I used to before some countries got rid of them.

Were you not even seriously pissed off after Sydney?
Yep, with our batsmen for not lasting <3 sessions against a bowling attack that wasn't all that special. And losing 3 wickets to ****ing Clarke when we were on the brink of saving it.

It was a great match, though. Would have felt much worse if it was against Pakistan. :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It shifts the blame from the umpires (whose job it is to get those umpiring decisions correct) to the players (whose job it isn't to get umpiring decisions correct). Thats what it does. Sleight of hand.
Can't really blame Dar (who I think was responsible) for not giving Hussey out.

He'd given Hussey out to James Anderson, a decision Hussey referred and HawkEye showed the ball bouncing just over. The "out" that never was was pretty much an identical delivery - given HawkEye had already overturned one decision, I can't really blame Dar for not giving the second one.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You may as well blame the Bell not-out on the LBW law as the UDRS.

Poor implementation of a system doesn't make it a poor system.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pissed off at everyone's lack of common sense more than at the system atm. Bunch of useless ****s.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, it simply failed to reverse some already-given bad decisions.

The one where no one appealed was just weird, and the second one was wrongly upheld not out for I have no reason why.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Shocker? Thats putting it lightly. It was a screw up by that eccentric Bowden guy. I have seen him make brilliant decisions at times and absolutely insane decisions at other times.

vcs

Yeah, but then it is supposed to be used in conjunction with the on-field umpires. So if the on-field umpires don't have the requisite common sense to use it properly, then you might as well be without it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't get why a batsman being 2.5m down the crease should affect whether or not you stay with the umpire's call when judging whether or not he's been hit outside the line. That's not a predictive thing with a margain of error - a batsman is either outside the line when he's hit or he isn't.

vcs

I don't get why a batsman being 2.5m down the crease should affect whether or not you stay with the umpire's call when judging whether or not he's been hit outside the line. That's not a predictive thing with a margain of error - a batsman is either outside the line when he's hit or he isn't.
I don't think the issue is whether there was any doubt if it hit in line, it certainly did and the replays cleared that up. The issue is that the implementors feel there is a margin of error in Hawkeye's prediction of trajectory at distances > 2.5m from the stumps. For example, if the batsman is 2.5m down the wicket, umpire gives not out and Hawkeye shows the ball hitting the top of the stumps, or outside half of legstump, there is enough margin of error that it might have gone over/wide with 2.5m to travel, hence the guideline is to stay with the umpire's decision. In this case though, it was hitting mid-way up middle. When Bowden gave not out, it was probably on suspicion of an inside edge, or the ball hitting just outside line. With the combination of the two, he judged it not out. However, the impact with the stumps in this case was so obvious that once it was clear that there was no inside edge, and the ball was hitting in line, the decision should have been overturned. That guideline should only be taken into account when the ball is just about hitting the stumps and the batsman is well down the crease.

vcs

You know what would have happened without UDRS today?

Exactly the same thing.
Yes. But it adds more fuel to G. I. Joe's argument that if you aren't doing it right, people will end up dissatisfied. Without UDRS, you know the final authority rests with (fallible) umpires and you are prepared for decisions going wrong. But if UDRS is available and basic common sense is not applied, only one of the teams can end up reaping its benefits.

Blaze 18

Banned
Not having it wouldn't have changed the decision though. Bowden must have been blind to give that not-out. It was hitting middle of middle for Christ's sake! I'd blame him more than the third umpire.

jeevan

International 12th Man
After today's incident I would like to change my vote from 'in favor of' to 'opposed' to UDRS they way it is proposed.

What I continue to be in favor of is in technology as an aid to umpiring. But the negative about UDRS as it seems to be deployed is that the accountability becomes very diffused, which is counter-productive.

There seem to be three entities involved in UDRS:
(a) on field umpire
(b) TV umpire
(c) the technology aids

And what seemed to have happened today with the Bell LBW is : (a) made a mistake, (b) saw that with the help of (c) , but there appears to be a rule that (b) pass on a disclaimer about (c) to (a). Once (a) hears disclaimer, the disclaimer itself ends up being grounds for reasonable doubt - never mind the disclaimer being irrelevant to the case today. After all (a) didn't have access to (c).

I'd hand an iPAD or like device to (a) and let them access (c) from the field and do the review themselves. Drive in a technology cart if you need to.

In Sydney, we correctly cussed Bucknor as we found him to be blind as a bat.
In the future, we ought to be able to cuss out umpire XYZ for being blind _and_ stupid if they make mistakes after using technology aids.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So even though the margin of error is such that the 3rd umpire had to stick with the onfield umpire decision it's still the fault of the 3rd umpire?

It wouldn't matter who saw the pictures today, under the rules in place it had to be given not out.

If URDS weren't in place then there'd have been no change to the outcome.