Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some golden oldies...

School Boy/Girl Captain

Some golden oldies...

Some nice videos from the past -

The Master, Jack Hobbs
    JACK HOBBS THE WORLD FAMOUS CRICKETER - British Pathe

Check out Jack "only slow motion can show his bowling" Gregory's action - damn neat, he has something like a pre-leap leap just before his bowling stride. And, is Arthur Mailey playing with the seam Bert Oldfield's perfect whipping of the off-bail
    THE FIGHT FOR THE ASHES aka THE AUSTRALIANS ARE HERE! - British Pathe

Donald "there's a rumor he is the team for his batting" Bradman bowling
    AUSTRALIA'S CRICKET TEST HOPES - British Pathe

Some shots of Grace, Ranji, Bradman, Hutton, the bodyline series, etc
    CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Pathe

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    thanks man!!

i'll watch them later
    going to sleep

International 12th Man Julian87's Avatar
    Old footage like that really does show how far bowling has come along I reckon.

When you watch the old clips of the quick bowlers, you can see unlike today's bowlers that they haven't coached any quirks out of their bowling style. Even from those clips you can see they still bowled quickly even though their bowling styles were a bit different.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    You've got to respect the bravery of the Australians in 1932/33 - Larwood looking absolutely lethal - its always amazing to watch him in those sort of compilations - just as you've convinced yourself that bowlers just look slower in monochrome along comes Lol and you realise how fast he must have been

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Old footage like that really does show how far bowling has come along I reckon.
    I think you could say that about the batsmen as well...it's not funny how totally off balance they look in those clips even someone like Hobbs.

But although their styles don't look very aesthetic to us fact is they were effective and made those runs.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    When you watch the old clips of the quick bowlers, you can see unlike today's bowlers that they haven't coached any quirks out of their bowling style. Even from those clips you can see they still bowled quickly even though their bowling styles were a bit different.
    Notice the amount of flight the Aussie bespectacled spinner gives...man just can't imagine today's spinners being that bold. Even Mailey is giving a lot of flight although he has one of the most ungainly actions I have seen along side Sarfaraz Nawaz lol.

But if we take an average team of today and an average team of the 1920s and get them to play (sans body armor even) the modern team will win more often. Cricket has become more skillful with the passage of time.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Jack Gregory and Sam Everett seem to have this odd hop-skip thing before the actual delivery stride, wonder whether it hinders or helps.

Other things I noticed were that all the batsmen looked ridiculously out of balance, and the bats were so goddamn small that hitting sixes must be insanely hard.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Great to see the old clips, especially the brief clips of Larwood and O'reilly. Still dont believe that Hobbs played in a competitive enough era, and this sort of confirmed that for me. He is an all time great, just not firts team for me. The btwn war era of Bradman, Hutton, Hammond, Headley for me is the cut off as far as technique and competion alllows for players who could compete in the modern era.
    No disrespect intended.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Great to see the old clips, especially the brief clips of Larwood and O'reilly. Still dont believe that Hobbs played in a competitive enough era, and this sort of confirmed that for me. He is an all time great, just not firts team for me. The btwn war era of Bradman, Hutton, Hammond, Headley for me is the cut off as far as technique and competion alllows for players who could compete in the modern era.
    No disrespect intended.
    hobbs was the first batsman to have something resembling a technique. thats enough to rate him as the best of his era and therefore include him in the atg xi.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Vijay.Sharma View Post
    Notice the amount of flight the Aussie bespectacled spinner gives...man just can't imagine today's spinners being that bold. Even Mailey is giving a lot of flight although he has one of the most ungainly actions I have seen along side Sarfaraz Nawaz lol.

But if we take an average team of today and an average team of the 1920s and get them to play (sans body armor even) the modern team will win more often. Cricket has become more skillful with the passage of time.
    lol. Obviously if you just transported a team from 90 years ago the modern team would win. But the best players of an era would be able to adjust over time as IMO there are certain fundamentals needed to succeed in cricket that have remained a constant.

And I find it even more hilarious to judge the players of yesterday through a modern game lens. I'm sure Hobbs would be really impressed by the defensive techniques of guys like Raina and Hughes
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    hobbs was the first batsman to have something resembling a technique. thats enough to rate him as the best of his era and therefore include him in the atg xi.
    Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji?

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    lol. Obviously if you just transported a team from 90 years ago the modern team would win. But the best players of an era would be able to adjust over time as IMO there are certain fundamentals needed to succeed in cricket that have remained a constant.
    Yeah agree with all of this. Why do I get the feeling there is an ulterior motive about to surface here as well?

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Yeah agree with all of this. Why do I get the feeling there is an ulterior motive about to surface here as well?
    Deja Vu ?
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Vijay Sharma has been able to convince me that Tendulkar is almost as good as Bradman

....as a bowler.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information