• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Harbhajan break Murali's record?

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, that's one thing he definitely has in his favour. He will not be dropped no matter happens. India are not Australia to select players only on merit, unfortunately. It's why we've had players carrying on for too long (Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble, etc.). Our selectors don't have the balls to drop senior players. I suppose a close relationship with the captain also helps.
Ummmm

Blaze 18

Banned
Nope. Took him 13 years to take the same number he'd have to get in less than 10 and you don't get better as you get older.

Pretty much in line with GI Joe's thoughts on the matter; hopefully India unearth a better spinner
India are playing more tests/year over the next few years, though. He's played ninety-five in thirteen years; India are playing ninety-two tests over the next eight years, as per an article I read on cricinfo. Not sure about the "you don't get better as you get older" either. Not talking about Harbhajan per se, but there have been cases of players getting better with age.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India are playing more tests/year over the next few years, though. He's played ninety-five in thirteen years; India are playing ninety-two tests over the next eight years, as per an article I read on cricinfo. Not sure about the "you don't get better as you get older" either. Not talking about Harbhajan per se, but there have been cases of players getting better with age.
Like who? Certainly no bowlers. Injuries affect everyone eventually.

Blaze 18

Banned
...come again?
I was actually referring to how Australia handled Steve Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, etc. I didn't word my post properly. What I'm saying is, an Indian great gets to play as long as he wants, even if it's painfully obvious that there are many better players waiting in the wings. It's a lot different to say, Australia or South Africa in that regard. Harbhajan, for all his flaws, is a great of Indian cricket. He will definitely be allowed to choose when to call it a day.

Spark

Global Moderator
Gilchrist retired on his own terms. As did Waugh. ODIs a different matter obviously.

Blaze 18

Banned
Like who? Certainly no bowlers. Injuries affect everyone eventually.
Warnie got better and better with age, didn't he? McGrath was as good in his last game as he ever was. I do agree with your point about injuries. Every player gets injured at some point, that's pretty much a given. Spin bowlers are not as injury prone as fast bowlers and batsmen though, generally speaking.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Gilchrist retired on his own terms. As did Waugh. ODIs a different matter obviously.
Wasn't it the Australian board that wanted the home series against India in 2003/2004 to be his farewell series?:unsure: Not sure. Possible that I'm misremembering.

Top_Cat

Warnie got better and better with age, didn't he? McGrath was as good in his last game as he ever was. I do agree with your point about injuries. Every player gets injured at some point, that's pretty much a given. Spin bowlers are not as injury prone as fast bowlers and batsmen though, generally speaking.
Depends on what you mean by 'better'. Both guys maintained a great standard but certainly had to work harder for their wickets as time went on, don't see how anyone who saw them operate throughout their careers could deny that. The edge had been taken off their abilities but they had experience and nous to fall back on. They're all-time greats, Harbhajan most certainly is not and he's skating on the edge of good performance averaging 30+ so I think it's inevitable he'll stop even being that effective.

Reckon even both McGrath and Warne's reps would have taken a dive had they played on for another year; they both left whilst bowling well but there were plenty of signs that they were on the way out. McGrath wasn't getting the same zip off the deck, for example.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Harbhajan actually played only 8 Tests in his first 3 years. He wasn't a regular until after the 2001 series. So its more like 400 wickets taken over 11 years, for purposes of extrapolation.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Looking at Bhajji's current form,800 looks quite difficult.But he will break Kumble's (619) for sure.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pretty speculative to say the least to assert that he'll surely play another 6 years. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he ****s his shoulder or elbow and packs it in within 3.

Top_Cat

Yep. Some were saying Murali would take 1000 at one stage. He got closer than anyone did but was still miles off, probably another 4 years of Tests at the rate he was taking wickets in the end. It's not rocket surgery, people age/get injured and differences most of us would never notice in our own games have a huge impact on performance at an elite level.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's possible if he has the full UDRS available to overturn the LBWs where the umpire errs on the side of caution.

smash84

The Tiger King
heck......Bhajji the highest wicket taker in history.......that doesn't sound too good.........i can't imagine his celebration style when he reaches 800 ugh

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Pretty speculative to say the least to assert that he'll surely play another 6 years. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he ****s his shoulder or elbow and packs it in within 3.
Count the number of times he has got injured in last ten years. :cool: