• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To celebrate the creation of the sub-forum - Who should be India's #6 for the series?

Who should be India's #6 for the test series?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India's No.6

Think this deserves a topic of discussion now that the subforum has been created, as it's taking over the Zaheer-Anderson thread.

I can't wait for Tremlett vs Raina.
It's a shame Pujara got injured, the WI tour could have been invaluable for him. Hoping Kohli and Badri will stake a proper claim for the No. 6 spot over Raina. Actually, I'd just risk it and play Kohli at that spot in England, regardless of what happens in WI. Take a punt on his class and ODI record, and his comfort level against pace. His seam-up could come in handy over there as well, if the conditions are overcast.
Why will Raina be playing?
I am fully on the Kohli for No.6 in England bandwagon.
Why that bandwagon is completely full is beyond me
India are in a strange position where they haven't managed to debut Kohli in Tests, because until recently Pujara looked like a viable option for that slot as well. Didn't kick on in SA, and obviously the injury has pushed him out of the reckoning for now.

Raina, TBF to him, scored some extremely valuable runs in his debut tour of SL and in the first Test against Australia, but started getting technically exposed and was pretty much cooked by the time of the Centurion Test. But, the selectors made a very smart "horses for courses" pick by replacing Pathan with him in the WC, where he was fantastic and crucial, with the bat as well as in the field.

Now, they need to back their judgement and make a similar call on Kohli, because realistically there are no other competitors for that spot who can be expected to come in and hold their own against Anderson, Tremlett and co. It doesn't matter that he hasn't played any Test cricket to date. Hopefully he can do a good job in the Caribbean though and put it beyond any doubt.
Should just wait until after the WI series, as you have mentioned.

But this talk about "can't wait for Tremlett to bowl to Raina" as if Raina is a shoo-in for the #6 spot is odds. Reckon he was 4th in line heading into the WI tour, behind Pujara (even injured), Kohli and Badrinath.

He may have taken over Badrinath due to him looking average in the ODIs, though that's pretty lame.
Raina didn't do anything that would get him a spot ahead of Badri either. Hope Kohli/Pujara gets the spot. Although I'm guessing the selectors will pick the squad based on the WI series, and the final spot based on the first tour game in England.

EDIT: ****, off topic again :p

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
How many times are you going to post this pic? I think I've seen it at least 30 times now.
Do you have it saved on your computer, bookmarked etc..:laugh:

vcs

Lost out by 2 minutes. :ranting: Made the extra effort of multi-quoting all you ****s, which made the difference.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I noticed there's a poll option 'No one - play 5 bowlers'

Uhhh I'm pretty sure someone still has to bat 6 Jono, you soft arse.

:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Went for Pujara. Raina isn't good enough, Virat Kohli is a **** (and Jono likes him) and have never seen Badrinath play.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If the English series were held rightaway, I'd say Pujara has first claims to the #6 spot despite Kohli's great run of form, due to the fact that the former is the incumbent. However there's the WI series to go, and I think that Badrinath's out of the picture for now, and it should theoretically be a straight shootout between Kohli and Pujara with both making the team. But I think they'll go with Kohli and Raina instead. Kohli doesn't seem the sort to mess up his chances, and unless Raina puts in a less than satisfactory performance, it'll be one of these two for the starting XI in England.

Uppercut

I'd probably go with Kohli after his performances in the ODI series in South Africa.