• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson Vs Khan

Who will have better series?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a shame Pujara got injured, the WI tour could have been invaluable for him. Hoping Kohli and Badri will stake a proper claim for the No. 6 spot over Raina. Actually, I'd just risk it and play Kohli at that spot in England, regardless of what happens in WI. Take a punt on his class and ODI record, and his comfort level against pace. His seam-up could come in handy over there as well, if the conditions are overcast.

Shri

Mr. Glass
IMO Tremlett could really trouble India in the first Test, when they are not accustomed to his trajectory and the bounce, but the batsmen will get better at handling him as the series progresses (a bit like Morkel in SA recently). Anderson like Steyn will probably pose a consistent threat.
Anderson could trouble as. Steyn bowled mostly in the 130-135 Km speed range and did well against us. I see India struggling against Anderson and Tremlett at the start of the series. They will eventually play both of them freely by the 3rd test and the last 2 tests would be awesome. Still stand by my 1-1 series result prediction tbh.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
anderson. just. while both can swing the ball, he is quicker. but then he will be bowling to better batsmen. very difficult one.

Daemon

The guy with the rat tail because he has to bowl in the SC a lot - This means he knows how to toil for wickets and with helpful conditions in England he should utterly destroy. The bloke who regularly bowls in helpful conditions at home is actually a soft **** because he hasn't been toughened up from playing all his matches in a bowlers grave yard and will fake injuries to avoid bowling to the mighty Indian batting line up
Surely you have to give the advantage to Anderson when considering the preparation coming into the series

Played far more longer cricket lately and he is at home. Zaheer has played in the IPL and been rested since.
wot

vcs

Why that bandwagon is completely full is beyond me
India are in a strange position where they haven't managed to debut Kohli in Tests, because until recently Pujara looked like a viable option for that slot as well. Didn't kick on in SA, and obviously the injury has pushed him out of the reckoning for now.

Raina, TBF to him, scored some extremely valuable runs in his debut tour of SL and in the first Test against Australia, but started getting technically exposed and was pretty much cooked by the time of the Centurion Test. But, the selectors made a very smart "horses for courses" pick by replacing Pathan with him in the WC, where he was fantastic and crucial, with the bat as well as in the field.

Now, they need to back their judgement and make a similar call on Kohli, because realistically there are no other competitors for that spot who can be expected to come in and hold their own against Anderson, Tremlett and co. It doesn't matter that he hasn't played any Test cricket to date. Hopefully he can do a good job in the Caribbean though and put it beyond any doubt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Should just wait until after the WI series, as you have mentioned.

But this talk about "can't wait for Tremlett to bowl to Raina" as if Raina is a shoo-in for the #6 spot is odds. Reckon he was 4th in line heading into the WI tour, behind Pujara (even injured), Kohli and Badrinath.

He may have taken over Badrinath due to him looking average in the ODIs, though that's pretty lame.

Daemon

He may have taken over Badrinath due to him looking average in the ODIs, though that's pretty lame.
Raina didn't do anything that would get him a spot ahead of Badri either. Hope Kohli/Pujara gets the spot. Although I'm guessing the selectors will pick the squad based on the WI series, and the final spot based on the first tour game in England.

EDIT: ****, off topic again :p

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson could trouble as. Steyn bowled mostly in the 135-140 Km speed range and did well against us. I see India struggling against Anderson and Tremlett at the start of the series. They will eventually play both of them freely by the 3rd test and the last 2 tests would be awesome. Still stand by my 1-1 series result prediction tbh.
Fixed.

Tremelett's success will depend on whether the pitches have good bounce or not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The idea that Anderson only performs well under clouds is antiquated. Sure it was a wet summer by Aussie standards but the conditions were not your trademark Anderson skies that people like to use to try and write him off. And Burgey knows this too, he just can't bring himself to admit that Anderson is world-class.:p

That being said, when he is playing at home I wouldn't swap Anderson for anyone, including Steyn. He's a World XI bowler wherever, but at home he's the best bowler you could have in your team.

Zaheer has a lot of expectation on him in this series and him against Cook should be mega. Can't see him lasting all four Tests and don't think he'll go as well as Anderson.

Will be a good battle though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mind you, Jimmy is more likely to have to share his wickets with bowlers like Tremlett, Broad and Swann. Khan might get a few through the fact he's surrounded by clowns.

Then again, this is balanced by the fact we'll bat less times.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Mind you, Jimmy is more likely to have to share his wickets with bowlers like Tremlett, Broad and Swann. Khan might get a few through the fact he's surrounded by clowns.
Anderson and Zaheer have fairly similar strike rates and bowl roughly the same number of overs per innings. It isn't like Zaheer has been bowling any more overs for India or picking up a greater share of the wickets than Anderson.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Over what period of time?

Is that skewed by games where India have played two spinners?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Over what period of time?

Is that skewed by games where India have played two spinners?
Over their careers.

In England, Zaheer has bowled 2 overs per innings more than his career average. That's a 0.4 wickets/match advantage for him over Anderson, or 1.6 wickets more over a 4 match series through the mere fact of bowling more.