• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top TEN test knocks of all time

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly looks odd. Think it's not authentic ICC rating list. I'd stick with top 10 from Wisden 100. If we were to update that list, which knocks from last decade can break into the top 10? One of Sehwag's destructive innings?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Errr, I think we get all we need to know from the fact there are supposedly 3 Sehwag knocks in the top-10 knocks of all time and that Sobers' knock was supposedly against a top attack.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
As if Gooch's 154* isnt in the top 10 knocks of all time. I'd like to see Sehwag bat against that 1981 WI attack at the MCG and score better than Kim Hughes. ICC FAIL! And how is Lara's 213 better than the 153*? INSANE.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As if Gooch's 154* isnt in the top 10 knocks of all time. I'd like to see Sehwag bat against that 1981 WI attack at the MCG and score better than Kim Hughes. ICC FAIL! And how is Lara's 213 better than the 153*? INSANE.
This is where I get to bring up every time that knock is mentioned that I was there and bowled at Gooch in the nets during that innings. :dry:

robelinda

That is beyond awesome man. Beyond. Some innings you didnt appreciate at the time, the 154* is not one of them. Its immense magnificence was instant, like Lara's 153*, and Laxman's 281, Hughes 100*. You knew it was some special stuff.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That is beyond awesome man. Beyond. Some innings you didnt appreciate at the time, the 154* is not one of them. Its immense magnificence was instant, like Lara's 153*, and Laxman's 281, Hughes 100*. You knew it was some special stuff.
Yeah, it was amazing and inspirational. Not just the innings but the context. I think it was the first time England had beaten WI in a Test is a very long time. Mind blowing. IIRC, he was 70 or 80 no overnight and I had a tilt at him in the morning as a 14 or 15 yr old and then he went on to play the way he did.

That Test was also famous for the Ramprakash catch which at the time was on a different level but something we see far more regularly now. Still a great catch but we have come a long way in fielders throwing themselves around even since the early 90s.

jazman84

Cricket Spectator
No Laxman or Lara's 400* = fail list IMO. How can one leave out the world record? It wasn't scored against a minnow and in the context of the series it was huge.

robelinda

Well that certainly true. Is there a good video of the 400* on youtube? I could do a 90 min video.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
By context I meant the utter dominance England had over WI until that test.
Without getting into an argument on a topic well discussed on here, that 400 wouldnt be in my top 50 innings of all time. WI batted for 200+ overs during which time was lost for rain and left themselves 2 1/2 days to bowl England out on the flattest track in the World. Absolutely pointless innings that was played completely out of context of the game, reduced his teams chance of winning and in a dead series on a bowlers graveyard.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hughes' 101* would be my No.1 of the post 1920 period, definitely.

Though I don't believe Sehwag's 300s belong in the list, I do think they're under-appreciated because we're so used to the batsman involved in them scoring at run-a-ball anyway. If he was a more 'classical' prolific batsman like Sachin or Ponting who suddenly went crazy for one Innings and scored 309(280), It'd be talked about a lot more, IMO.

Sehwag's 200 at Galle is an ATG Innings, definitely though. I'm not sure about it belonging in a top 10 list but winning the match single-handedly against Murali and Mendis(The Magical Mendis '08) on a spinning track was bloody special.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
i imagine that they must be using the same criteria/algorithms that underpin their normal ratings. if so, assuming that this ranking of the great innings is controversial (a fair enough assumption, it would appear!), it certainly does throw into stark relief the (in)adequacy of the ratings themselves.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Without getting into an argument on a topic well discussed on here, that 400 wouldnt be in my top 50 innings of all time. WI batted for 200+ overs during which time was lost for rain and left themselves 2 1/2 days to bowl England out on the flattest track in the World. Absolutely pointless innings that was played completely out of context of the game, reduced his teams chance of winning and in a dead series on a bowlers graveyard.
As you said, it has been well discussed in the past but FTR, I disagree completely and I don't think any of those points are true.