• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL)

hang on

State Vice-Captain
aren't those sorts more interested in buying up football clubs? or racing stables? wouldn't it behoove them, were they interested in cricket, to invest in one of the ipl teams already extant, assuming that such investments are allowed?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
More like that PCB is trying to settle it's grudges with BCCI, and using depleted SLC as a bait (since BCCI started ass ****ing SLC)
Don't really get that line about BCCI ass ****ing SLC. BCCI helped SLC out with regular India tour of Sri Lanka and random series and now expect SLC to not leave early from IPL. When you sell your soul to the devil these things are expected.

Xuhaib

International Coach
finally Afridi gets an opportunity to make some $$$ hopefully its a success and it speeds up his retirement.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Don't really get that line about BCCI ass ****ing SLC. BCCI helped SLC out with regular India tour of Sri Lanka and random series and now expect SLC to not leave early from IPL. When you sell your soul to the devil these things are expected.
Yeah agree, all those endless India-SL one offs were primarily for the $ benefit of SLC.

Even the stuff about SL players in IPL - BCCI had checked on availability woth SLC, thats one of the reasons the players were bid up so much.

smash84

The Tiger King
And the title of this thread is one of the silliest ever.......... Sri Lankan Indian Premier League

gvenkat

State Captain
Anyone want to bet that this will fall flat and end up in the **** house?? Who are the sponsors SL have? Who are those Oil Lords? I can only laugh at posts like these. There was not a long time ago in caribbeancricket.com there was a guy saying WI was going to do the same thing and he even said he knew the details etc. After they called him bluff he was promptly banned..

:laugh:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Agreed Blaze, too much T20 is ruining cricket and leading to infighting amongst players and boards.

Gvenkat, we don't really know the truth about the funding of this Sri Lankan league, but according to what I have heard (rumours), T20 is a good investment in Dubai etc because of the expats and so this league if it were to happen would most likely be a UAE league rather than SriLankan or Pakistani league. Pakistan is just jumping on the investment bandwagon because PCB wants to make some cash and doesn't like the snubbing from IPL.

salman85

International Debutant
Actually,Pakistan's reaction is justified.For a country starved off any international cricket at home,they will jump at the first chance of any competition remotely close to a 'home' competition.

Blaze 18

Banned
Why not push for an international series in Sri Lanka/Dubai then? A few hit and giggle T20 domestic matches are neither here nor there.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Wasn't there a proposed American Premiere League floating around in the US 2 years back?

Howsie

International Captain
Big Bash League 2011-12: Big Bash to have no India players | Cricket News | Twenty20 Big Bash | ESPN Cricinfo
'It's a policy decision of the board, and when there is a domestic tournament on I don't think we will release any players," Shetty said. "Sri Lanka now has some league in the month of July and it doesn't clash with our domestic tournament so whoever wants to go with prior permission can participate."
I wonder how many pieces cricinfo will produce regarding this story about how it's only fair cricketers are allowed to make a decent living, how cricketing boards around the world should embrace it not fight it.

gvenkat

State Captain
Agreed Blaze, too much T20 is ruining cricket and leading to infighting amongst players and boards.

Gvenkat, we don't really know the truth about the funding of this Sri Lankan league, but according to what I have heard (rumours), T20 is a good investment in Dubai etc because of the expats and so this league if it were to happen would most likely be a UAE league rather than SriLankan or Pakistani league. Pakistan is just jumping on the investment bandwagon because PCB wants to make some cash and doesn't like the snubbing from IPL.
Not being rude as you yourself alluded these are nothing but rumors and any league cannot give a big paycheck as big as the IPL does or get TV audience as big as the IPL. Cynicism aside, say for instance this league does kick-off who are their audience? SriLankans ? Pakistanis? Sri Lankans are already all over IPL and most of them would already have favorit e teams etc.

If Pakistan is the only source of attraction how are they plan on paying these players? who are the sponsors? I'm not sure if Pakistan alone can cause an Impact as big as the IPL is Unless someone can come up with a concrete plan and show that this model is what we have all this is nothing but empty gas.

And if Indeed IPL thinks this SL league could potentially cause havoc, don't you think they would go and fight it tooth and nail to make it like the ICL? Big bash is a separate thing since it does not clash with their window and not all international players or part of it.

Last edited:

gvenkat

State Captain
I wonder how many pieces cricinfo will produce regarding this story about how it's only fair cricketers are allowed to make a decent living, how cricketing boards around the world should embrace it not fight it.
Big Bash and IPL are two entirely different animals. For the record, Bigbash does not have even 1/2 of the number of games the IPL has and how many international players are represented in Big bash?

salman85

International Debutant
Why not push for an international series in Sri Lanka/Dubai then? A few hit and giggle T20 domestic matches are neither here nor there.
Last i heard things were already underway for a series vs Srilanka,possibly even in Pakistan.Plus,even if that doesn't happen,the PCB does not have a lot of options.It's going to jump at every bits and pieces series that it can get.Not to use an old grandmother analogy,but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Xuhaib

International Coach
cricket is a very marketable product in Pakistan so sponsors should not be an issue and if SL,Ban and UAE can be tied in you are looking at a very sizable market size.Ofcourse it may be as big as IPL but you don't need it to be as big as IPL to be profitable.On a personal note I hate these micky mouse IPL style leagues and hope this does not take off.

smash84

The Tiger King
Last thing we need is more T20. Hope it doesn't materialize. IPL is bad enough.
This

Not being rude as you yourself alluded these are nothing but rumors and any league cannot give a big paycheck as big as the IPL does or get TV audience as big as the IPL. Cynicism aside, say for instance this league does kick-off who are their audience? SriLankans ? Pakistanis? Sri Lankans are already all over IPL and most of them would already have favorit e teams etc.

If Pakistan is the only source of attraction how are they plan on paying these players? who are the sponsors? I'm not sure if Pakistan alone can cause an Impact as big as the IPL is Unless someone can come up with a concrete plan and show that this model is what we have all this is nothing but empty gas.

And if Indeed IPL thinks this SL league could potentially cause havoc, don't you think they would go and fight it tooth and nail to make it like the ICL? Big bash is a separate thing since it does not clash with their window and not all international players or part of it.
awta

Last i heard things were already underway for a series vs Srilanka,possibly even in Pakistan.Plus,even if that doesn't happen,the PCB does not have a lot of options.It's going to jump at every bits and pieces series that it can get.Not to use an old grandmother analogy,but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Frankly speaking I don't want any international cricket team coming to Pakistan in the near future. Unfortunately it is not safe for them and after the events that transpired with the SL cricket team I really don't want international cricket returning to Pakistan until the Afghan mess is sorted out (which might take decades).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And you have missed the most important part of the agreement. that is to make SL players available for IPL for the next 10 years.