Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your Cricket Season

School Boy/Girl Cricketer J_asonR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    As I am a complete nerd, I can also present the following showing my entire life as a batsman. The orange line is a cumulative average - now 1127 @ 12.81

That's cool! At least it's on the up! How long have you been tracking this for?

I've just started tracking my progresses with batting this season, and next will get into detail with bowling too, now quite sure how that'd work on a chart though..

------------------

I personally had a half decent weekend.. Bowled first on a really short boundary to see how the other team played their game and they managed to hit 314.. Unfortunately, we only managed to get 311.. I hit 49, and felt like I could win the game for the team then waited for a slower ball bouncer and didn't commit to the shot as much as I should have, and got caught on the boundary! Then the only other player who we had some faith in the win it was clean bowled in the penultimate over.
    The English South African.

Batting is simple (3W's):
    Watch it
    Wait for it
    WHACK IT!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Tracking it from the very first innings I ever had, aged 12. I didn't bat very regularly as a child - and when I did get the chance, I got out.

I joined CW in March 2003; my stats at that stage were 26 runs @ 2.36 (after 16 innings). Proof positive that practice leads to improvement.

Today I opened for the 1st XI as the guy who we had expected to open had strained his hamstring in the field, whilst the opposition were busy smashing us around the ground. They made 282/7 in their 45 overs, and I took the skin off both elbows throwing myself around the boundary in the process. In reply, we knew there was a lot of heavy rain coming, so wanted to prevent them from taking too many wickets (and getting bonus points) before the game was abandoned. We batted out 21 overs, and were 66/0 when the heavens opened, meaning - for all their dominance - in terms of match points, it was only 10-8.

I was dropped at second slip - playing a shot that suspiciously resembled catching practice - but otherwise was pretty pleased to get some runs (24*) in the first team for the first time. I need to keep working on my back foot play outside off stump: it's either an Ian Bell late cut/run to third man, or a miss if I try a "real" cut shot. Definitely needs to be the target for the winter.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

how old are you now
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Tracking it from the very first innings I ever had, aged 12. I didn't bat very regularly as a child - and when I did get the chance, I got out.

I joined CW in March 2003; my stats at that stage were 26 runs @ 2.36 (after 16 innings). Proof positive that practice leads to improvement.

Today I opened for the 1st XI as the guy who we had expected to open had strained his hamstring in the field, whilst the opposition were busy smashing us around the ground. They made 282/7 in their 45 overs, and I took the skin off both elbows throwing myself around the boundary in the process. In reply, we knew there was a lot of heavy rain coming, so wanted to prevent them from taking too many wickets (and getting bonus points) before the game was abandoned. We batted out 21 overs, and were 66/0 when the heavens opened, meaning - for all their dominance - in terms of match points, it was only 10-8.

I was dropped at second slip - playing a shot that suspiciously resembled catching practice - but otherwise was pretty pleased to get some runs (24*) in the first team for the first time. I need to keep working on my back foot play outside off stump: it's either an Ian Bell late cut/run to third man, or a miss if I try a "real" cut shot. Definitely needs to be the target for the winter.
    your join date disagrees
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Training with a uni squad atm, gonna turn out illegally for them in a practice game next weekend, hope I don't **** up. It's amazing how much I've regressed since from when I was 15. I started playing when I was 12 and by 15 I was in the national set up for the respective age groups. Since then it's been a downhill slide where so many ****s I used to dominate in my age group are now much better than me while I never improved much, if at all. Serving NS hasn't helped of course. At least the army and police force have teams, civil defence doesn't have ****, so I basically haven't played for 2 years.
    GIMH likes this.

yeah, winter down here in Aus, I'm trying to reinvent myself as an off-spinner after years as a failed batsman (only 17 so I have some time), have some good variations but the accuracy isn't there yet.

daemon to select rebel as his custom title when the time comes

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I will win yours in a bet someday
    GIMH likes this.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    yeah, winter down here in Aus, I'm trying to reinvent myself as an off-spinner after years as a failed batsman (only 17 so I have some time), have some good variations but the accuracy isn't there yet.
    what state u in?
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    In the spirit of Neil, I've dug out all the old scores I could find and plotted them on a graph. Red bar represents the time at which I switched clubs.

There are 4 or 5 seasons worth of terrible scores not included in that graph (no access to scorebooks, no online record going back that far), so the statistics at my new club are the only ones that have any relevance.

555 @ 13.41 since the switch, I think (graph might have one rogue innings of 6 in there; getting two different results on innings-by-innings and season analysis atm).

Career figures of 11/256 (~4.20rpo) and 21 dismissals to supplement my mediocre batting.
    Last edited by Dan; 28-07-2013 at 11:13 PM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Interesting that you've scored exactly 50 three times. Did you retire or something?

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Interesting that you've scored exactly 50 three times. Did you retire or something?
    First time was my first-ever men's game as a full-time player; we were pushing for an outright and the team decided to push back the declaration until I got to the 50.

Second time my partner ran me out, which was quite annoying because the team we were up against was filled with guys who I coached for school cricket during the week. They had no chance of getting me out any other way.

Third time we were 9 down and my partner was clueless; he stuck around long enough for me to get to 50 and then I decided to try and go after it - any more runs were bonus. Trying to slap a yorker over mid on didn't work too well.
    Last edited by Dan; 28-07-2013 at 11:48 PM.

jan
    Our club has won the t20 title beating our German rival. A tight match with 3 ducks on our side. I didnt play in the final obviously but its I must say its good to have at least one trophy of the planned three

Next week tour to Sussex !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, right-arm crap bowler, dropper of sitters, grainy streams watcher

i avg about 10 with the bat and 13 with the ball. no danger of a graph though ****s

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    yeah club bowling averages can get quite low - if you tell me that is with a four piece I will be impressed however.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information